Author Topic: Out of Memory with complex airliners  (Read 7649 times)

Tozzifan

Out of Memory with complex airliners
« on: November 23, 2012, 11:13:18 am »
Hi,
although having a perfectly working KLAX (how beautiful), it looks like I cannot even progress through preflight procedures without experiencing OOM, with PMDG and Ifly Jets (I haven't tried LevelD, so far)

no problems with stock airliners or complex payware propeller aircrafts

I've tried:
detail radius to 50%
autogen to dense
unloading any unuseful program from windows
avoiding loading any unessential addon
reduced sky textures (REX, AS2012) to 2048
unloaded Megasceney SOCAL
clear weather
LoD to 4.50
registry tweak as suggested by Microsoft in cases of OOM issues

so I'm basically out of options and it looks like I'm going to travel to Portland by bus  :)

any idea?

thanks
I7-4790 / 1080ti / 32Gb / Creative Fatal1ty / trackIr5 / HOTAS Warthog / 3D vision / OculusCV1 / Saitek Rudder & Trim / CH Quadrant
win7-64 : P3dv44
win10 : P3Dv44 + OculusCV1

Tozzifan

Re: Out of Memory with complex airliners
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 11:17:50 am »
moreover, what puzzles me,

is that just after I bought KLAX, a while ago, I made a flight with PMDG 747 from YMML to KLAX, landing, taxing, performing shutdown, having GSX deboarding and catetering procedures, and looking at traffic via SupetrafficBoard, without glitches .....?! (the only differences were that I hadn't bought yet Ezdok camera and SOCAL Megascenery...)
I7-4790 / 1080ti / 32Gb / Creative Fatal1ty / trackIr5 / HOTAS Warthog / 3D vision / OculusCV1 / Saitek Rudder & Trim / CH Quadrant

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 11:21:03 am »
is that just after I bought KLAX, a while ago, I made a flight with PMDG 747 from YMML to KLAX, landing, taxing, performing shutdown, having GSX deboarding and catetering procedures, and looking at traffic via SupetrafficBoard, without glitches .....?! (the only differences were that I hadn't bought yet Ezdok camera and SOCAL Megascenery...)

Well, you added a large photoreal scenery, you can expect it taking more memory than before. Just lower your settings OR use DirectX 10, since KLAX and GSX are compatible with it. DirectX 10 takes lot less memory than DirectX 9.

Tozzifan

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 11:29:11 am »
Well, you added a large photoreal scenery, you can expect it taking more memory than before. Just lower your settings OR use DirectX 10, since KLAX and GSX are compatible with it. DirectX 10 takes lot less memory than DirectX 9.

does it take memory even if deactivated in scenery options? ... ok, I'll try

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 11:39:08 am »
does it take memory even if deactivated in scenery options? ... ok, I'll try

It shouldn't.

Tozzifan

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 12:14:40 pm »
 :o

I have now a bigger problem: I've set DX 10 preview, closed FSX, and now it won't start anymore

please, ho do I revert to DX9 out of FSX?

Tozzifan

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 12:18:25 pm »
nevermind, I managed my self in fsx.cfg

yet now I don't know how to activate and try DX10 environment, given this crash in DX10 of unknown cause/interference

Tozzifan

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 02:06:20 pm »
Hi again,
as it seems to be, at this moment, hard to solve to me to launch my FSX in DX10, I have two further questions, still willing to use KLAX with complex airliners, and before wasting time in the effort:

1 is prepar3D more "easier" on memory than FSX? is it worth the effort to install all I have of US west coast (FTX, FSDT etc etc) ?

2 are your other US products less "heavy" on memory as KLAX?

thanks

nonetheless, I see now the video in your main homepage (737 PMDG, Zurich, skies, rain) ... I'd like to know that system specs or at least its fsx.cfg ...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 02:12:59 pm by Tozzifan »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 03:40:19 pm »
1 is prepar3D more "easier" on memory than FSX? is it worth the effort to install all I have of US west coast (FTX, FSDT etc etc) ?

Can't see much difference in system requirements compared to FSX.

2 are your other US products less "heavy" on memory as KLAX?

As I've said already, KLAX is not particularly "heavier" than other products, only marginally so, it lies in what is an already complex area and is able to attract many AI, so people might be mislead thinking KLAX is the problem, when it's not.

However, you can save some memory by turning off the "HD Textures" in the Addon Manager. This will make the scenery look more blurred, but will probably save about 200-300 MB, which might be enough to complete a flight without crashing.

However, if you have exhausted all your RAM on a 64 bit OS, you simply have too many installed addons and/or TOO HIGH SETTINGS, turn them down.

I was never able to use more than 2.2 GB or RAM at KLAX, with the PMDG 737, and 100% AI Traffic with UT2 and very high scenery settings. Under a 64 bit OS you have 4GB available for each 32 bit app so, if your memory consumption is so high, there's something wrong in your settings (maybe you applied so "tweaks" that caused issues)

Here's some results from some tests I've made, demonstrating that KLAX is NOT the most memory-hungry item out there:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=7285.msg62471#msg62471

I see now the video in your main homepage (737 PMDG, Zurich, skies, rain) ... I'd like to know that system specs or at least its fsx.cfg ...

No idea, it's made by a forum user, we simply linked it from YouTube.

Tozzifan

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 04:47:37 pm »
Hi,

it looks like I've found the reason of my crashes: I forgot mentioning Aerosoft's LA installed (that I did not take into account because I wrongly thought to be off-radius): once deactivated, I've gained those 300Mb and made a smooth flight, even with all the usual (weather, planning and navigation) addons