Author Topic: Having strange fps issues  (Read 4459 times)

mrcultureshock

Having strange fps issues
« on: October 16, 2013, 02:23:39 pm »
Hello,

I bought Zurich last night and then tested it under default settings in Addon Manager. The framerate near the terminals was from high single digits to mid-high teens. This surprised me because my framerates are fine (mid to high 20's) for KLAX and KJFK v2. I've turned down the HD details to off, turned off ground vehicles, and turned down traffic to 11%. But the fps is still low with the MS default helicopter. The only good news I have is I don't get as much pausing or stuttering. My FSX settings have been turned down since the release of the PMDG 777 and I'm running AA 2x and AF 8x.

I really like the scenery and it's something I've always wanted to get. But I'm perplexed at the low fps I'm getting. Is anyone experiencing a similar fps issue? Could you all give me any recommendations as to how to tweak the FSX and Addon Manager?

Many thanks in advance!

Nicolas

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Having strange fps issues
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 02:33:49 pm »
The framerate near the terminals was from high single digits to mid-high teens. This surprised me because my framerates are fine (mid to high 20's) for KLAX and KJFK v2.

I wouldn't call your fps at KLAX or KJFK V2 very good either. But since you use an airplane which is very fps heavy, that might be the case. However, is to be expected that KLAX and KJFK V2 performs better than Zurich.

Zurich was released in 2007 and back then, such fps hungry airplane didn't existed so, there was more headroom to run the scenery. Is still a scenery that uses a lot of old techniques and lots of FS8/9 code, because it was designed when lots of users were still using FS9. The recent updates have just updated the airport to current status (new terminal B), but haven't changed much in the underlying technology.

KLAX is a 100% FSX native scenery with no slow legacy code, and KJFK V2 is a total remake that also use 100% FSX native code (that's why is a paid update for previous JFK users), so they will perform much better in FSX, which also explains why KLAX doesn't run very well on FS9.

So, it's normal that Zurich won't run in FSX as fast as it did in FS9 and would be slower than our FSX-only products. It would probably require a complete remake, like the one we did with KJFK V2, to offer the same level of performances, even when used together with the more complex add-ons available now. I guess your fps is reasonably good with a default airplane.

mrcultureshock

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 02:54:18 pm »
Thanks for the reply! What you told me actually makes a lot of sense. I'm amazed at how well KLAX and KJFK work because these are 2 humongous airports with a lot of planes (even with traffic set to 15%). I hope you make a v2 for Zurich and KORD (My fps are ok here, but I'm having stuttering problems).

I do have one last question though. Do the seettings in Addon Manager affect FSX or only the airports that are using the Addon Manager?

Thanks!

Nicolas

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 03:21:14 pm »
Do the seettings in Addon Manager affect FSX or only the airports that are using the Addon Manager?

Some of them affects every FSX scenery, and some only sceneries handled by the Addon Manager. They are grouped as such in the Addon Manager, with a label indicating which settings are affecting what.