Author Topic: VC++2013 RunTime won't install **SOLVED**  (Read 5286 times)

jeffeven

VC++2013 RunTime won't install **SOLVED**
« on: August 07, 2015, 01:15:26 am »
Trying to install the latest update to GSX ground services.  All goes well with the download and the installation up until the installation of VC++2013 RunTime.  The installation just stalls.  I know sometimes it takes quite a while for it to download but waited 20 minutes and still no joy.  Same things after re-downloading and attempting re-install several times.

Suggestions?

Jeff Even
Rocklin, CA, USA
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 10:09:55 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: VC++2013 RunTime won't install
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 01:23:11 am »
This issue doesn't have anything to do with the latest GSX installer, since all our installers were updated to include the VC++ 2013 runtimes since several months already.

They simply launch the standard MS VC++ 2013 installer, without doing anything special with it. It doesn't download anything, the MS installer is included within the installer, so it's not a downloading problem.

Try to reinstall after a Windows restart.

jeffeven

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 06:49:35 am »
It keeps telling me to download the latest stand alone addon manager which I have done.  I load FSX and as soon as I click on the add on menu for Couatl I get an error message as follows:

Python 2.7.6 Stackless 3.1b3 060516 (default, Feb 19 2015, 15:56:51) [MSC v.1800 32 bit (Intel)] wxPython 3.0.2.0
couatl v3.0 (build 3156)
log started on Thu Aug 06 21:46:27 2015

connecting to SimConnect...
connected to SimConnect
connected to bglmanx
Running in mode: FSX (command line param)
Loading addons
Loading addon common
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 47, in loadAddons
  File "<string>", line 36, in importAndCreateInstance
Couatl.DecryptionError: magic number mismatch

Puzzled...

Jeff

jeffeven

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 04:55:43 am »
Ok, I'm about ready to throw my computer out the friggin window!  Have tried virtually everything to get GSX up and running.  History... have been running GSX for a couple of years now.  Love it.  Got the popup saying there was an update available.  Clicked to install it.  Was redirected to download and addon manager.  Attempted to do so but got another error message saying that VC++2013 was being installed.  Waited... waited... waited... nothing.  Tried multiple times.  Downloaded from Microsoft latest version of VC++2013 and installed that.  No change.  Even went so far as to uninstall everything Virtuali, GSX, Dreamteam from my computer and tried reinstalling everything.  No good. 
Deleted existing registry entry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio) hoping windows would create a new file.  Nothing.  Re-installed registry entry. 

This happens with both the Addon Manager setup and the GSX setup.

Save my sanity.  Would appreciate any help.

Jeff

Vista Ultimate w/sp 2, AMD Phenom II X4 970, 3.5 GHz
8 GB Ram, 64 bit os, FSX, Acceleration,  GSX,  RC, REX Tex Dir & Soft clouds
PMDG 737/47/777

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 10:41:49 am »
Attempted to do so but got another error message saying that VC++2013 was being installed.  Waited... waited... waited... nothing.  Tried multiple times.  Downloaded from Microsoft latest version of VC++2013 and installed that.  No change.  Even went so far as to uninstall everything Virtuali, GSX, Dreamteam from my computer and tried reinstalling everything.  No good. 

Of course uninstalling GSX, and all our stuff will not fix this. Since it doesn't have anything to do with any of our software, it cannot be fixed by uninstalling and reinstalling it.

Your problem is very likely a Windows problem, like a problem with your user account or permissions since, as I've said, the installer is simply launching the MS installer. If it cannot be started from another executable, maybe it's a problem with your user account.

Try to create a new user account, with admin settings, and see if the installation goes on there. Install ONLY the latest full GSX installer, nothing else.

jeffeven

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 11:09:16 pm »
I understand, but GSX always worked just fine before I tried to install the upgrade.  Problem is... I try to install addon manager as instructed in the upgrade notification.  As it downloads it freezes on the VC++ installation.  The only way I can close it is by opening my task manager and ending the installation program that way.  After that I find the "Virtuali" sub-folder in my microsoftgames/microsoftflightsimulatorX folder.  Opening that sub-folder I find an "Airplanes" and a "GSX" folder and "Couatl.ini", "Couatl.log", "CouatlAddons.ini" and "KeyMapping.ini".  None of them contain an executable files.

I know it shouldn't be necessary but since I may have screwed things up beyond repair, is there a way I can reinstall GSX from scratch.  Actually when I download the new GSX upgrade file I get the same problem when it comes to the VC++ installation.  I have administrative rights.  I have turned off my anti-virus during both the download and install of the addon manager and the new GSX file.

Sorry to keep bugging you but I must be doing something wrong.  You are always very helpful.

Thanks,   Jeff Even

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 09:02:17 am »
I understand, but GSX always worked just fine before I tried to install the upgrade. 

The VC++ 2013 runtimes are installed by the installer since several version, nothing has changed in the last update.

that I find the "Virtuali" sub-folder in my microsoftgames/microsoftflightsimulatorX folder.  Opening that sub-folder I find an "Airplanes" and a "GSX" folder and "Couatl.ini", "Couatl.log", "CouatlAddons.ini" and "KeyMapping.ini".  None of them contain an executable files.

None of them is supposed to contain any.

I know it shouldn't be necessary but since I may have screwed things up beyond repair, is there a way I can reinstall GSX from scratch.

Why you keep saying it's a GSX issue that might be fixed by reinstalling ? If the installation hangs at the VC++ 2013 step, it doesn't have anything to do with GSX.

But if you want to try it, the uninstaller will obviously know how to uninstall GSX completely so, just use the normal Uninstaller, and reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager" AND "Do you want to remove the Couatl scripting engine"

Also, to remove your GSX preferences, remove the following folders:

%PROGRAMDATA%Virtuali
%APPDATA%\Virtuali

Then reinstall GSX. This is a TOTALLY clean reinstallation.

Actually when I download the new GSX upgrade file I get the same problem when it comes to the VC++ installation.  I have administrative rights.

I haven't asked if you have administrative rights on your current user account. I asked to create a NEW user account WITH administrative rights, to test if the problem could be related to a problem with your current user account.

jeffeven

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 09:14:39 pm »
Problem solved.  Apparently when I uninstalled GSX using the built in uninstaller, I didn't realize that I also had to delete the 2 files (%PROGRAMDATA%Virtuali)
(%APPDATA%\Virtuali).  After doing that the VC++ installed fine.

Thanks for your help.

Jeff

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 10:08:22 pm »
Problem solved. 

Apparently when I uninstalled GSX using the built in uninstaller, I didn't realize that I also had to delete the 2 files (%PROGRAMDATA%Virtuali) (%APPDATA%\Virtuali).  After doing that the VC++ installed fine.

You normally don't have to do that.

If you had to do that, it seems to confirm there was some problem with your user account, most likely a permission issue on that folder, because the installer should always be able to write without problem into that folder (it's a folder that should belong to your user), but if there was some kind of permission settings error in your user account, it might explain why it got stuck at that step (Windows itself blocked it), and why it was fixed by removing the folder, because they are re-created with the right permissions by the installer.