Author Topic: Jetways/Gateways  (Read 5856 times)

murphy87

Jetways/Gateways
« on: February 05, 2014, 06:50:22 am »
Just a suggestion probably has already been mentioned but.... Can we get a script that works for the Jetways/Gateways that don't move for other scenery. It shouldn't be that hard to do for script gods out there. It would be nice. Like I said, if there is a post about this, sorry for making another.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 05:50:18 pm by murphy87 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Jetways/Gateways
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 01:58:54 pm »
I'm not sure what you are requesting. There's no way to have a script that will turn static jetways into animated ones.

The only thing that could be useful to GSX, when used with 3rd party scenery that have only static jetways, is to flag where they are, so GSX won't display front stairs and the passengers bus there. This should be very easy to do without any manual coding, using the integrated GSX scenery customization editor.

You can select multiple parkings or an entire terminal so, for example, if you know a certain terminal have jetways on all parking positions, just select the terminal "root" node in the GSX editor, and check the "parking has a jetway" option: it will be applied to the whole terminal.

murphy87

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 05:47:11 pm »
As far as I know AES does it, so it is possible. I personally don't like AES but it is the one thing that I like about it. Besides we put men on the moon so nothing is impossible come on really. I know it can be done and if I knew how to work with scripts and xml files I would do it. It can be scripted in the section when deboarding and boarding passengers you would have to make it compatible and work with some of the the third party scenery's like imaginesim and latinvfr to name a few.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 05:49:23 pm by murphy87 »

Hnla

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 06:18:38 pm »
The beauty of GSX is that it doesn't control jetways, I don't know why someone would want this. If you want moving jetways at airports like that, than go buy AES. The beauty of GSX is it is a one-time cost, not money everytime you want a new airport.

murphy87

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 08:11:25 pm »
Ok, so what if there was an option in the menu when you select to load passengers, it would ask "Do you want to use this gates Jetway?" ,and yes or no is an option you select "YES" and the Jetway moves to your door and if you select "NO" the Jetway don't move and the stairs come out.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 01:21:45 am »
Ok, so what if there was an option in the menu when you select to load passengers, it would ask "Do you want to use this gates Jetway?" ,and yes or no is an option you select "YES" and the Jetway moves to your door and if you select "NO" the Jetway don't move and the stairs come out.

Why you would want to use a *menu*, when FSX has an hotkey for it ?

Of course, a fancy menu still won't magically turn 3rd airports with fake jetways into animated ones so, if the airport has proper FSX jetways, you don't need a menu, because you can simply press (or not press) CTRL+J, and if the airport doesn't have animated jetways, having a menu won't help.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 01:28:26 am »
As far as I know AES does it, so it is possible

Well, of course it IS possible, but fact that GSX doesn't try to do what should be done by the developer, is its main selling feature, because this way we don't have to charge per airport, something we would have to do, if we had to do the scenery developer's work, making the program incredibly expensive.

On top of that, we couldn't add new features to GSX (that will benefit 20.000 airports immediately), because we would have to use all our resources adding support for jetways in 3rd party airports. Doesn't make any sense, considering the best scenery developers out there (Flightbeam, UK2000, and lately even FlyTampa ) already know how to do proper animated jetways without needing our help.

I know it can be done and if I knew how to work with scripts and xml files I would do it.

It's not just a coding issue. The airport need to be prepared for that, and the 3rd party developer would have to supply us with the source of their jetway model. Doesn't make any sense, there's AES for that, what's the point of duplicating that work ?

murphy87

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 02:38:32 am »
It works the same way as when you were to change things within GSX for pmdg or any other third party aircraft, witch you had to update GSX for right? AES found a way to move the jet-ways why cant you. I for one don't want to spend another 40 bucks on something I already have purchased just for one feature  Sounds to me you just don't want too. Its not hard to comprehend what I am talking about, shoot the idea up the ladder, if it gets shot down, OK but don't beet around the bush and give me excuses about X and I should buy Y if I want Z. You might be an ADMIN but it seems to me  your just a messenger for the devs. It may sound like I am being disrespectful but I assure you I'm not. So sorry if it sounds that way. Im just simply make a suggestion to a developer and you basically told me if I want that I should go buy AES because we will never make it happen that is A. very unprofessional B. Makes me think as a customer that my word don't mean jack when in all reality the customer is always right that's how businesses boom because they the give what the customer wants. SUPPLY AND DEMAND I might be the only one that wants this but thought I would try.

Thank You

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 08:28:54 am »
It works the same way as when you were to change things within GSX for pmdg or any other third party aircraft, witch you had to update GSX for right?

No, it doesn't. We don't need any support from PMDG or any other 3rd party airplane developer to support their airplane, and it only takes 10 minutes in the GSX editor to fix doors, and 5 minutes to figure it out possible custom variables so no, it's entirely different effort and it would be very wrong if we charged for it.

While, instead, it takes quite a bit of effort to transform a fake jetway into an animated one, it also requires cooperation from the original developer, and some sceneries CAN'T even adapted so they are not supported by AES either so, I can fully understand why AES is charging per-airport. But it's not a business model we are interested pursuing, doesn't make any sense with AES already on the market.

AES found a way to move the jet-ways why cant you.

You don't seem to understand: we HAVE moving jetways on ALL OUR AIRPORTS and this doesn't obviously require GSX, at all (which is free on our airports anyway).

But if we had to add them to 3rd party scenery, which is what you are probably asking, we would have to needlessly duplicate what AES already does and, of course, having you paying for every airport, which doesn't make any sense. Not in FSX, when there's already native support for animated jetways.

I for one don't want to spend another 40 bucks on something I already have purchased just for one feature

You got it backwards: why spending *any* extra money (AES credits or eventual GSX "credits") on a separate product to to have moving jetways, when they should be included with the scenery in the first place ?

Your mistake is to assume that jetways are a feature of the Ground Services program, but they aren't, they ARE part of the airport, and should be included with it.

Not making animated jetways is a legacy from FS9, when doing them was extremely hard and not supported by the base program, but doesn't make any sense on FSX, when even default airports have them, you would think a payware scenery advertised for FSX would AT LEAST offer everything a *default* airport has, wouldn't you ?

Im just simply make a suggestion to a developer and you basically told me if I want that I should go buy AES because we will never make it happen that is A. very unprofessional B

Wrong, wrong and wrong again. I've CLEARLY said that, IF we had to add moving jetways to 3rd party sceneries that don't have them already, we would have to charge for every airport, like AES. Since there's already AES for that, what sense it makes duplicating all that work ?

IF you really believe that jetways are not a feature you should ask to an airport developer and is right to spend extra money on another program to have what should have been included with the scenery in the first place, there's already a solution in the market for that.

Makes me think as a customer that my word don't mean jack when in all reality the customer is always right that's how businesses boom because they the give what the customer wants. SUPPLY AND DEMAND I might be the only one that wants this but thought I would try.

Exactly, you just made my point. Since GSX has been incredibly successful so far, and the only effect we saw after it was released, is that that some of the best scenery developers out there ARE making animated jetways now, it's quite obviouse that customers DEMAND has been exactly what we ARE SUPPLYING: a one-time purchase that works everywhere, instead of the pay-per-airport model.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 08:33:34 am by virtuali »