Author Topic: GSX cargo texture  (Read 3869 times)

flycathay

GSX cargo texture
« on: July 17, 2013, 11:45:18 pm »
I know GSX would remember what cargo texture should be used depending on your departure airport. For example, if I depart from VHHH to SFO, the cargo unloaded from the plane would still be Cathay texture in SFO. However, recently I notice that if I load a saved flight, GSX won't remember where the departure airport is. When I load a save flight from VHHH to SFO, the cargo unloaded will be in Virgin America texture. I ask this because VAS memory always approaches 4GB in my long haul, and I have to restart FSX to continue my flight.

I know it is a small thing, I am just seeing if it will be possible for future GSX update to address this issue.

Thanks for the great product.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX cargo texture
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 12:31:22 am »
I know GSX would remember what cargo texture should be used depending on your departure airport.

It doesn't. Or, more precisely, the texture used on the cargo pallets is not "normally" related to the departure/arrival airport. It's the only (opposite to the ground crew textures) texture that is selected depending on the livery of the airplane YOU are flying.

This is of course made on purpose, because while the ground crew is local to the airport, the cargo loaded is more dependent on your own airplane and, more importantly, to be sure that pallets unloaded at destination will look the same as the pallets loaded at departure.

But, as I've said, this is done under the best situation, because GSX takes the ICAO code of the airplane you are flying (so it can match it against the ICAO code of the cargo pallets), from the atc_parking_code of your airplane, as defined in the airplane.cfg of the airplane you use.

This means, if your airplane doesn't have any atc_parking_code parameter, GSX can't reliably decide which airline you are flying, so the cargo pallet selection will revert to be made with the same strategy as the ground crew, which is not the optimal solution, but at least you will see pallets that are in some way related to your flight.

So, there's nothing to add/fix in GSX, because it's already made to handle the case in your question, and all you need to do, is to be sure all the airplanes you are flying, have the ICAO code of their airline correctly flagged in their aircraft.cfg file. This is not something that all airplane developers do, unfortunately. Some of them do, but not all, so you might have to fix some of your airplanes to add the missing info.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 11:48:11 am by virtuali »

flycathay

Re: GSX cargo texture
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 02:54:39 am »
Thanks for the clarification. Just added ATC parking section in PMDG aircraft and its now working perfectly. 8)