Author Topic: Sludge Hornet v2.0  (Read 85222 times)

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
Re: Sludge Hornet v2.0
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2013, 08:55:43 pm »
Fellas...

If you have the HotFix installed, how'd the newer VC HUD sizing and the 2D HUD alpha work? Better? More readable?

Also, been doing some testing/modding w/the current .AIR file about getting those afterburner thrust factors back to reasonable. Some users here have commented how the thrust "down low" (below 15k') and on takeoff seems too powerful. After testing, I've come to the conclusion, they were right. The problem has always been that FSX doesnt downscale thrust CORRECTLY as altitude rises. This has been discussed IN DEPTH at FSDEVELOPER.com, so I'm trying to find a decent workaround. Or maybe I can fix the Hornet's .AIR file correctly?

Just to get you up-to-speed... for a long time (up until Sludge v1.2), I toned down the thrust from the default 'cause I felt it was wayy too strong; about v1.2 C or D, I started upping the afterburner values so that the Hornet would have some KICK in the 15k' and above range... however, that bled over into the low-level performance, making it too strong; now, after some feedback and getting some words and actual flight test data from AVEJOE, I'm re-tuning the afterburner values to a hybrid of what was released recently and the toned down version.

In short, the Hornet shouldnt be able to blast off the runway in such a short time, but should have a little more AB kick in those mid-high altitudes than earlier Sludge versions. Once I get the new .AIR file ready, I'll send it out... along with the new Betty sound files, so everyone can just update those simultaneously.

Later
Sludge

ctec1

« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2013, 11:08:33 am »
Sludge,

The VC HUD sizing in the hotfix looks good to me. I've been spending my time doing traps and AAR in vLSO and havent noticed any issues. Thx for all the time and effort youre putting into this.

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2013, 09:14:58 am »
CTEC...

Good to go. And no problem, love doing it, so others can enjoy. Also, feel free to share any changes you might make with everyone else.

Before I go, what's your take on the overall performance? Do you feel that its overpowered down-low? What about thru the entire nominal flight range 5k' AGL- FL400.

Later
Sludge

ctec1

« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2013, 10:33:35 pm »
Sludge,

I can say that the Sludge version definitely has some gidee up. During a AB takeoff, I'll be approaching 450 knots at the end of a 7200 foot runway. I dont get into the performance charts (wouldn't know where to begin) but it seems to have some added power compared to say the FSXBA mod. Thats all I have to really compare it to. I will sat that I've always considered speed my friend ;D
I'm also not the guy to ask about performance at higher altitudes. When I fly the Hornet its usually out of KNPA and near the boat so rarely do i get adove 10K feet.

Bottom line is,  I havent a clue as to how it performs compared to the RL Hornet. I put my faith in you fellas that tweak these suckers to get it as close as possible . The balls back in your court :P

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2013, 05:10:30 am »
CTEC...

Fair nuff. I was mostly asking 'cause I know some users have said the Sludge is now overpowered. I had to do some tweaks just to get it slower but I can definately find a good middle ground, so that it will be close to NATOPS mandated top AIR SPEED (not mach) of 780 knots at 15k', and should rarely go above that number.

Its very hard to find that SWEET SPOT of keeping it realistically powered along with being able to have more kick in the pants than the earlier Sludge versions that were straight up SLUGGISH and SLOW.

Either way, thanks for your inputs. It all helps in the end.

Fellas...

If any of you flying the Sludge TC1 w/HotFix have any words on this matter, please give me a holler. Also, what is everyone's opinion of the newer VC HUD sizing and 2D HUD sizing/alpha transparency.

Later
Sludge

hrnet940

« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2013, 11:14:04 am »
I just quickly skimmed over the posts here and have not noticed the problem I am experiencing.  My N2 will not go below 66%.  I have no problems with any other aircraft and use the Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar for my controls.  I see it dip down under 66% when I transition from above idle back to idle, but then it comes up to 66% and I cannot get it to settle into idle.  I have tried holding down the F1 key and checked all the other settings and check with other aircraft, but they all work as they should.  Love all the other parts of it.  I need to make a few tweaks as mentioned above, but that is fine with me.

Wayne

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2013, 05:06:16 pm »
Hornet...

To my knowledge, 66% N2 is IDLE POWER for the F/A-18A+ aircraft. Now, I do know that Jimi's FSXBA Hornet, his latest fix after release included a modified power table (1500 series) in the .AIR file that takes the N2 below 60% at IDLE, but this is not NATOPS correct.

When I get a chance, I'll dig up the actual NATOPS numbers, but I think 66% N2 (ground idle) is correct. You can also pull up the shift-7 Test Data Gauge to see if your throttle is reading at its lowest setting.

Later
Sludge

ctec1

« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2013, 09:49:25 pm »
U guys got me curious with all these specs so I started to do some research

From
 NATOPS FLIGHT MANUAL
             NAVY MODEL
             F/A-18A/B/C/D
            161353 AND UP
             AIRCRAFT

Ground idle -

F404-GE-400                   F404-GE-402

N2                                       61 to 72%                      63 to 70%
EGT                                   190° to 590°C                 190° to 590°C
Fuel flow                             420 to 700 pph                420 to 900 pph
Nozzle                                   73 to 84%                      73 to 84%
Oil pressure (warm oil)             45 to 110 psi                 45 to 110 psi

hrnet940

« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2013, 12:11:50 am »
When I release the brakes I start to roll quickly and gain speed with a short amount of time.  I can't remember what the test bird was, but I could release the brakes and sit there at idle and not have a moving jet in a few seconds.  If this behavior is normal, the parking brakes are on all the time then.  I have done a little bit of flying this new bird and have noticed that it does accelerate rather quickly.

Thanks for the info and getting back to this post rather quickly.

Wayne

ctec1

« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2013, 01:05:55 am »
Wayne,

I'm not seeing any forward roll after releasing the brakes @ idle. As Sludge suggested, I would pull up the Flight Data Gauge (Shift-7) and check to make sure both throttles are @ 0%. Clicking link below will bring up a screenshot of the Data Gauge on my system. You may want to compare the readings especially the throttles.

http://sbcglobalpwp.att.net/c/t/ctec1/ATT_Files/P3D/F-Data.jpg

Mark

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2013, 07:52:29 am »
Wayne...

If you pull up the shift-7 and its showing your throttles have a positive percentage (5 or more precent) and your physical throttle controller is all the way back to the IDLE stops, lemme know. Also, all things being equal and to help troubleshoot, can you make sure your FSX flight control settings in the FSX User Interface menus are maxed out (full right) on sensitivities and 5% (a couple micro notches from full left) null zones. Additionally, can you make sure FSX realism sliders are set to max in the SETTINGS/REALISM tab.

If you're still rolling on GROUND IDLE and your N2 says 66%, tell me your results and if you could give me a screenie that looks similar to what CTEC provided, please.

Thanks
Sludge

hrnet940

« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2013, 02:08:12 am »
Here is the screen shot I just took and it looks like yours.  When I release the brakes I get about 3 seconds before I notice movement from outside the aircraft.  How do I get the fuel tanks to default to full?

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2013, 03:41:17 am »
Hornet...

Good deal. It looks like you are at minimal fuel, so that's why you're rolling forward. When you're in-game in a Free Flight session hit the ALT button that will bring up the top menu bar where you can select "fuel and payload", then go to the tab where you see the fuel amounts... click into them and type in 100 percent in all of them, then click OK. You should be back in your jet with 100 percent fuel and shouldn't roll at GROUND IDLE. From the screenshot, it looks like you are soo light, ground idle power will start to roll you, so putting anything more than 30% should keep you stopped at ground idle power without brakes.

Later
Sludge

hrnet940

« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2013, 11:19:53 pm »
Thanks.  I will try that out tonight.  Shouldn't FSX auto fill the tanks when it loads the plane?

Wayne

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2013, 06:47:55 am »
Hornet...

Sometimes not. Its not a given that FSX will default fill the fuel tanks on a flight. To make sure, you should manually fill them (using the previous method), and then save a flight, so you can go right back and reload it.

Later
Sludge