Author Topic: No buildings at destination  (Read 52945 times)

Charles246

Re: No buildings at destination
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2013, 10:44:25 pm »
I have been using CYVR since I bought it a couple of weeks or so ago. I have never had any issues with it and have always been impressed by the negligible demand on frame rate.

However, this morning I did a short run from Boundary Bay, about 10 minutes away from YVR and on arrival there were no buildings. I was on VATSIM at the time and luckily the runways were visible. When I exited and restarted FSX everything was back to normal. I then did another run from boundary Bay and this time the buildings stayed there or rather reappeared.

I am not sure if I have the update or not. How do I check that? Also, is there a way to force the scenery to update if you do not see it on approach? Without exiting and restarting obviously.

johnny_gitara

« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2013, 07:38:07 am »
You can always click on "restart couatl". I flew yesterday from YVR to SFO and SFO airport was there, so no issues on dissapearing buildings at the destinations. Only thing that happened was the terminal building left of Westjet terminal was missing when i loaded the flight standing at the gate 4, but when i clicked on restart couatl everything went back to normal.

cjordan

« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2013, 09:05:33 am »
I have done 4 trips from CYYC to CYVR and 1 CYVR to CYYC and return to CYVR after using GSX for turn around, here is the results with the new file.

1.  OOM warning beep at about 9.2 from CYVR then CTD
2.  OOM warning beep at GATE 73, scenery was there. GSX worked.
3.  3 miles from CYVR 26R and scenery disappeared, at 2.2 miles it reappeared, GSX worked.
4.  2 miles, warning box computer has run out of available memory. scenery was there but GSX didn't work.
5.  Orbx off, CYVR to CYYC then CYYC to CYVR, Approaching CYVR 9.3 DME airport appears lots of flickering,
     3.9 DME no flickering, everything worked great, GSX worked good also, no stuttering when CYVR loaded.

Turning FTX back to default scenery seemed to work. In my opinion CYVR doesn't seem compatable with Orbx PNW.
I'll try a few more flights and see if there is any changes.

I have  a 3.4 Ghz with 12 gigs of ram, and a Geforce 560 video card. I also have KLAX KJFK KDFW KLAS installed and never had these problems at any of the others,
LAX would drop the frames rates a bit but I expected that. CYVR has a lot of flashing of the scenery approaching the airport and at the airport.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2013, 11:47:25 am »
Turning FTX back to default scenery seemed to work. In my opinion CYVR doesn't seem compatable with Orbx PNW.

Your test only proves that you have OOM with OrbX PNW and you don't have them without it, that doesn't obviously mean CYVR is not "compatible" with it. It only means that you already were at the limit of exhausting your memory, so you can't add OrbX PNW without casing an OOM, or you can't add CYVR if PNW is already installed, which is the same.

As explained, countless of times, there's no SINGLE addon causing OOMs, it's the COMBINATION of all of them and you settings which are probably too high, that cause OOMs. Fact that FSX will never use more than 4GB because it's a 32 bit application, is something we can't change. The only things you can change are:

- Lower your settings in the most dense areas

- Switch to DX10, which saves quite a bit or memory

- Don't use 4096x4096 textures.

- Use the CYVR 1.1 installation options to lower the texture resolution

cjordan

« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2013, 05:58:13 pm »
I have never had to lower my settings for any of your other scenerys but CYVR was already lowered, No AI, No AS2012, No Autogen,
DX10 is out, I fly the PMDG MD11 and won't work in DX10
4096 textures worked before CYVR on KLAX, KDFW, KLAS, EHAM, PANC,  now lowered.
already had the lower textures installed.
I have never had an "Out of Memory" warning before CYVR and have had my setting a lot higher than they are now.
The way I see it, No Orbx PNW, No AI, No AS2012, No Autogen, and poor textures everywhere but CYVR, or No CYVR.
I guess I'll never learn to stop wasting my money, Your other scenerys are great but this one has bombed.
hopefully in the future there will be a fix.....

CYVR deleted.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2013, 06:12:03 pm »
The way I see it, No Orbx PNW, No AI, No AS2012, No Autogen, and poor textures everywhere but CYVR, or No CYVR.

This is what you said before:

Orbx off, CYVR to CYYC then CYYC to CYVR, Approaching CYVR 9.3 DME airport appears lots of flickering,  3.9 DME no flickering, everything worked great, GSX worked good also, no stuttering when CYVR loaded.

That clearly proves that CYVR, by itself, is not a problem. I'm not saying PNW is a problem in itself too. It's just that you can't expect to stuff FSX without any limitations. SOMETHING you have to compromise. We gave you plenty of options in the 1.1 installer to lower CYVR memory footprint.  Does all your other addons in this area offer such options ?

but this one has bombed.hopefully in the future there will be a fix.....

You really don't seem to understand. There's nothing to "fix" in CYVR, and if you use the 1.1 Texture resolution options, which you haven't said you have, to INSTALL it with lower resolution textures, for example 2048 for the scenery and 1024 for the dynamic shadows, it will result in CYVR taking LESS memory than KLAX.

However, "taking less memory", doesn't mean you it's guaranteed that you will never, ever, see an OOM, the KLAX area is way less stuffed of 3rd party addons before you would notice any problems at KLAX. But here, you must be more careful.

As I've said, try to lower CYVR textures at 2048 and 1024 for shadows.

C-Nimbus

« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2013, 09:26:22 pm »
Isn't it possible to make a dummy, "foolproof" setting in the add-on manager for CYVR, , I mean, a (scalable?) setting that will guarantee no OOMS or other mayhem etc., irrespective whether you run  thousand add-ons or none? Kind of low-end system setting?
Then we could start analyze things from there.

BTW.:

1.Only few customers are reporting their sys specs. Is this irrelevant??
2. During installation about halfway, to my surprise, my screen turned black and installation slowed down. Later things got back to normal.
I'm  running Windows XP on a high-end system.
3. I acknowledge your dedication and support but you react kind of irritated to your customers. As a professional software developer, which I assume you are, get yourself a spokesman!

I love your products!

Regards,

Charlie N.

p.s. unfortunately I have no time to test.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 09:52:31 pm by C-Nimbus »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2013, 11:44:53 pm »
Isn't it possible to make a dummy, "foolproof" setting in the add-on manager for CYVR, , I mean, a (scalable?) setting that will guarantee no OOMS or other mayhem etc., irrespective whether you run  thousand add-ons or none? Kind of low-end system setting?

It's not possible to "guarantee" anything. If an user is already fairly close to exhausting the memory limit in the CYVR area, even installing CYVR at its lowest settings will cause an OOM.

And of course, the installer can't possibly know how much memory a certain user is going to consume at a certain location, the only possible way would be testing it in game but this keeps changing, depending on the airplane used, even the weather coverage changes memory allocation, since fair weather it's one thing, 3-overcast layers with hi-res clouds is entirely different.

There's no other choice than letting the user configure CYVR at installation time, and I can't see how easier to understand the current options could be made.

1.Only few customers are reporting their sys specs. Is this irrelevant??

It is, but just in the general term of trying to suggest what might appear to be really a problem, not so much in relationship about how CYVR is. Is nothing special, it's just that it COULD take more memory than, let's say, KLAX, but it CAN be configured to take even LESS.

But being in an area fully stuffed with other add-ons, even when configured to take less memory than KLAX, OOMs can still happen, just because of the area.

. During installation about halfway, to my surprise, my screen turned black and installation slowed down. Later things got back to normal.

There's nothing in the installation that could cause that.

It's might simply due to the installation that took some time (rebuilding all textures takes time, especially if you choose 4096x4096 for everything), and so your power management turned off the screen to save power.

I'm  running Windows XP on a high-end system.

I hope you use the 64 bit version (which is fairly uncommon, I have to say) because, on a 32 bit OS your problems would surely be amplified, especially on an high-end system, assuming with "high-end" you include an high-end video card too, because that is what is stealing most of your memory.

If you use a 32 bit OS, everything, including OS, FSX AND VRAM, will have to *share* the same 4GB address space, so you really have a bit more than 2GB available, while under a 64 bit OS, you would at least have up to 4GB reserved to FSX.

3. I acknowledge your dedication and support but you react kind of irritated to your customers. As a professional software developer, which I assume you are, get yourself a spokesman!

I don't think that having someone saying "I'll ask the developer", then disappear for some days, and then returning back saying "the developer has said he'll look into it", would do much good for users.

The only thing good about the Flight sim market, is that you CAN usually talk with the actual developers so they can do things for you and reply in the most effective way, do you really miss the "larger company" style of customer support, that doesn't have any other function of being a firewall between users and the developers ?

Dicko

« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2013, 06:18:23 am »
It appears that I owe Umberto a huge apology. The disappering buildings and the non responsive COUATL menu seems to be caused by a duplicate CYVR AFCAD in my addon scenery folder and this is why the issue occurred on my system when CYVR was installed. I have since removed that AFCAD and so far so good.
Umberto was good enough the refund my purchase. I have since re purchased the CYVR scenery.
This issue WAS my system so I have a bit of egg on my face!
Thanks
Andrew Dixon

Confirmed, the AFCAD was the issue not the scenery :-[
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 08:52:22 am by Dicko »

C-Nimbus

« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2013, 09:19:53 pm »
The only thing good about the Flight sim market, is that you CAN usually talk with the actual developers so they can do things for you and reply in the most effective way, do you really miss the "larger company" style of customer support, that doesn't have any other function of being a firewall between users and the developers ?

Uhh...no.
On the other hand, we flightsimmers, whether customer or developer, are quite a bunch of passionate guys. So maybe not a firewall, but one made out of ice could come in handy...   ::)

Charles246

« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2013, 10:30:23 pm »
You can always click on "restart couatl". I flew yesterday from YVR to SFO and SFO airport was there, so no issues on dissapearing buildings at the destinations. Only thing that happened was the terminal building left of Westjet terminal was missing when i loaded the flight standing at the gate 4, but when i clicked on restart couatl everything went back to normal.
I did that but nothing happened. It seemed to have been a random incident (I hope) because it hasn't  repeated.

Caphook

« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2013, 05:01:19 pm »
Unfortunately I have to report the same problem. I read this thread completely but am not sure what to do.

Recently I purchased CYVR (v1.1) because I was very happy with KLAX, Honolulu´s and Vegas.

GSX loaded my NGX at CYVR; I enjoyed the scenery and flew to KLAX. Upon arrival I found the airport completely empty except for jetways. Just like the demo after some time. I tried to restart Couatl, no luck. Addon manager showed both airports installed and registered.

Two days later I started at KLAX for my NGX flight to CYVR. Exactly the same happened: great departure airport, lousy arrival.

I have a high end W7/64 system running without problems. I do have Orbx installed.

I understand that a file was offered but that it is already included in version 1.1

What do you recommend? Thanks in advance.

Ronald

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2013, 05:07:34 pm »
I understand that a file was offered but that it is already included in version 1.1

What do you recommend? Thanks in advance.

No, that file is not included in the 1.1 so, please try it and see if it makes any difference for you, it's attached to a message of mine in the previous page, use the most recent post (there are a couple of version)

Caphook

« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2013, 11:12:06 pm »
I am very pleased to let you know that your solution worked. I replaced the 7.8 kB dot pye file by the 8 kB one and enjoyed a good flight from KLAX to CYVR.

Vancouver looked great upon arrival and everything worked (except for the returning message to cut engines while following the FM car).

Thanks for your help.

Caphook

« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2013, 12:46:38 pm »
Today I flew the other way around: CYVR - KLAX.

Everything worked fine. So whatever you changed, it did the trick.

Thanks a lot.