Author Topic: CYVR OOM when using PMDG NGX and ORBX PNW  (Read 93342 times)

golyaht

Re: CYVR OOM when using PMDG NGX and ORBX PNW
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2013, 01:23:32 am »
Unfortunately, these troubleshooting steps have not worked for me, and I'm not even running the NGX in here.

So far, here's what I've "attempted" to do:

1. Start at CYVR at gate 73
2. I load using the cessna, and then switch to the Aerosoft Airbus X Extended
3. I have a 50/50 chance of getting to pushback before I OOM.

After doing multiple tests, I would definitely say that going into spot view and looking around the aircraft will make it happen faster.

Now, after reading the original posts, I figured I could go ahead and lower some tweaks I had made earlier to try and resolve this.

However, to my surprise, when I opened my FSX.cfg, all these things were already set. LOD was 4.5, MaxTextureSize was already 1024.

I tried removing Vancouver+, which seemed to help. I managed to taxi to the runway before I OOM'd. I then tried turning on DX10.

DX10 helped immensely (or so I thought at the time), and I was able to get out of CYVR and enroute. Then, on approach into KLAS (also FSDT), I noticed that none of the terminals or ground textures were there. I noticed this on my downwind, and figured it just needed time to load. By the time I got turned around and onto final, nothing.

Made it all the way to the jetways (which oddly were there, floating in midair) without the rest of the airport loading. I promptly went in, disabled DX10 and restarted FSX. Loaded up at KLAS, and everything was back to normal.

So turning to DX10 made my night-time landing into KLAS not have buildings or ground textures. Weird. Very very weird.

As a test, I loaded up my NGX at CYVR. I pressed the battery button and it OOM'd. LOL.

Here are the addons I'm running in these tests:

-> FSDT CYVR
-> FSDT GSX
-> ORBX PNW
-> AS2012
-> UT2 running ~40% traffic load

That's it.

I had one other flight where I was able to get out of the terminal area without an OOM. I didn't use GSX features except for pushback, I didn't leave the cockpit to look around in spot plane mode. Ironically, the flight was from CYVR -> KLAX (FSDT, of course :D) and I got my first ever OOM into KLAX.

I have every single FSDT scenery (except for LSGG/LSZH) and have never had a problem. Do my frames slow down a touch when I'm going into rush hour at KLAX or KJFK? Sure... but never an OOM or missing buildings, or anything else bizarre.

If I had to bet money, I'm thinking there is a problem in Couatl, and NOT CYVR.

Other things I've tried to remedy the problem:

-> Re-install GSX
-> Re-install standalone manager (twice)
-> Wiped my FSX.cfg and let it rebuild default
-> Cried
-> Prayed

Also, for reference, here are my system specs:

CPU: i7|2600K OC@4.4Ghz
RAM: 16Gb DDR3 @2000Mhz
Video: nVidia 560ti (No OC)
HDD: FSX is on dedicated 7200RPM SATA6b/s

To be clear: I'm not expecting a miracle fix, and I understand you are not psychic. If there are logs or any further info I can provide, I'm more than willing to help out. :) I still love FSDT, and I think you guys are really pushing the boundaries of what's possible. With new frontiers, are unforseen landmines, and I'm more than willing to help clear them out with you. :)

Let me know.

viperxbr

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2013, 01:28:44 am »
I wonder if anyone (probably they are) is running AS over a network - would be interesting to see if doing this helps?

Please excuse my ignorance in if this is a naive question  :)

It would be interesting to know though

Regards

Andrew

I run AS2012 on a secondary PC but that wouldn't matter.  The problem is FSX itself.  It's a 32bit application which can only address up to 4Gig memory.  Any other application has it's own memory address space when it's started.  

Say you have 8GB total system RAM, you run FSX and it takes up say 3Gb for example, you still have around 4GB(5GB minus memory used by the OS system processes) of RAM that can be addressed by other programs.  That 3GB used by FSX is like a reserved chunk for the FSX.exe process only.  The OS will give it more if it requires but will only be able to access a maximum of 4GB.  It is not shared by any other applications that are running in the background. All other processes or applications have their own chunk of memory.

So running other apps off on a secondary system will not help with the OOM's.  It will help, however, with CPU usage and FSX stability.  You'll probably get better frames by offloading anything you can to another PC over the network.  I highly recommend it.

Todd.
Thanks,
Todd.

Sim PC: Intel i7 7820x OC 4.8GHz, XSPC RayStorm D5 EX240 Cooling, Rampage VI APEX MB, 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM, EVGA GTX 1080ti SC 11GB, 2xSamsung EVO 970 1TB NVMe, Samsung 840 SSD 1TB, Corsair 1200AX PS.

Andrew737

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2013, 01:33:26 am »
Hi Todd

I was half expecting an answer like this. Fundamentally whatever AS does it does NOT use FSX allotted memory then.

Thanks for your explanation

Regards

Andrew
Regards Andrew

viperxbr

« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2013, 01:53:25 am »
Unfortunately, these troubleshooting steps have not worked for me, and I'm not even running the NGX in here.

So far, here's what I've "attempted" to do:

1. Start at CYVR at gate 73
2. I load using the cessna, and then switch to the Aerosoft Airbus X Extended
3. I have a 50/50 chance of getting to pushback before I OOM.

After doing multiple tests, I would definitely say that going into spot view and looking around the aircraft will make it happen faster.

Now, after reading the original posts, I figured I could go ahead and lower some tweaks I had made earlier to try and resolve this.

However, to my surprise, when I opened my FSX.cfg, all these things were already set. LOD was 4.5, MaxTextureSize was already 1024.

I tried removing Vancouver+, which seemed to help. I managed to taxi to the runway before I OOM'd. I then tried turning on DX10.

DX10 helped immensely (or so I thought at the time), and I was able to get out of CYVR and enroute. Then, on approach into KLAS (also FSDT), I noticed that none of the terminals or ground textures were there. I noticed this on my downwind, and figured it just needed time to load. By the time I got turned around and onto final, nothing.

Made it all the way to the jetways (which oddly were there, floating in midair) without the rest of the airport loading. I promptly went in, disabled DX10 and restarted FSX. Loaded up at KLAS, and everything was back to normal.

So turning to DX10 made my night-time landing into KLAS not have buildings or ground textures. Weird. Very very weird.

As a test, I loaded up my NGX at CYVR. I pressed the battery button and it OOM'd. LOL.

Here are the addons I'm running in these tests:

-> FSDT CYVR
-> FSDT GSX
-> ORBX PNW
-> AS2012
-> UT2 running ~40% traffic load

That's it.

I had one other flight where I was able to get out of the terminal area without an OOM. I didn't use GSX features except for pushback, I didn't leave the cockpit to look around in spot plane mode. Ironically, the flight was from CYVR -> KLAX (FSDT, of course :D) and I got my first ever OOM into KLAX.

I have every single FSDT scenery (except for LSGG/LSZH) and have never had a problem. Do my frames slow down a touch when I'm going into rush hour at KLAX or KJFK? Sure... but never an OOM or missing buildings, or anything else bizarre.

If I had to bet money, I'm thinking there is a problem in Couatl, and NOT CYVR.

Other things I've tried to remedy the problem:

-> Re-install GSX
-> Re-install standalone manager (twice)
-> Wiped my FSX.cfg and let it rebuild default
-> Cried
-> Prayed

Also, for reference, here are my system specs:

CPU: i7|2600K OC@4.4Ghz
RAM: 16Gb DDR3 @2000Mhz
Video: nVidia 560ti (No OC)
HDD: FSX is on dedicated 7200RPM SATA6b/s

To be clear: I'm not expecting a miracle fix, and I understand you are not psychic. If there are logs or any further info I can provide, I'm more than willing to help out. :) I still love FSDT, and I think you guys are really pushing the boundaries of what's possible. With new frontiers, are unforseen landmines, and I'm more than willing to help clear them out with you. :)

Let me know.

Unfortunately I do not have either UT2(I prefer to fly on Vatsim/IVAO) or the Airbus X Extreme.  I'm not sure how much more memory these items would consume.  I use the NGX for the testing.  My suspicion would be UT2.  Try reducing or disabling that completely as a test.

Keep in mind FSX is an 8 year old program.  In the high tech industry, that's ancient archive worthy!  Definitely expect some tweaking to get things to work nicely.  Just like having an old classic car.  Lots of tinkering involved!
Thanks,
Todd.

Sim PC: Intel i7 7820x OC 4.8GHz, XSPC RayStorm D5 EX240 Cooling, Rampage VI APEX MB, 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM, EVGA GTX 1080ti SC 11GB, 2xSamsung EVO 970 1TB NVMe, Samsung 840 SSD 1TB, Corsair 1200AX PS.

viperxbr

« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2013, 01:54:15 am »
Hi Todd

I was half expecting an answer like this. Fundamentally whatever AS does it does NOT use FSX allotted memory then.

Thanks for your explanation

Regards

Andrew

That's correct!  It will use, however, any textures it pushes into FSX.  So, I would recommend using no greater than 1024 res. for your clouds if you do use AS2012.

Todd.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 02:02:06 am by viperxbr »
Thanks,
Todd.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2013, 02:11:14 am »
DX10 helped immensely (or so I thought at the time), and I was able to get out of CYVR and enroute.

Sure it did...

Then, on approach into KLAS (also FSDT), I noticed that none of the terminals or ground textures were there. I noticed this on my downwind, and figured it just needed time to load. By the time I got turned around and onto final, nothing.

Don't mind this issue, that's not a DX10 issue, you fixed it by restarting FSX, not switching DX10 off.

This problem is entirely unrelated to the memory usage issue, and it's possibly a problem of fine-tuning the loading strategy of the dynamic shadows objects which, if made too slow, will result in the scenery building up too slowly, which can by annoying for some users, but if it's done too fast, we risk stalling Simconnect with too much things to do, resulting in FSX stopping to "talk" with Couatl, which handles the sceneries (all of them, including KLAS), so it wasn't able to create KLAS, after being at CYVR.

We are still working on this, because it's a matter of finding a good value that will work for most users, but it should be an easy to distribute fix, with just one small file to update. This doesn't really have anything to do with the memory issue.

golyaht

« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2013, 05:33:41 am »
Fair enough. I'll do some more testing. The boys above might be onto something with AS2012. I'll try running with it off and see what happens. I'll report my results.

What's interesting though, is that last test where I got an OOM at KLAX (never happened before, ever). Is it possible something from CYVR is still being held onto in memory even after leaving the region? I'm not sure how FSX handles the loading/unloading of terrain data... so I'm not being confrontational with this question, I just literally don't know how it works. I've had several jammed flight between KJFK/KORD into KLAX with max UI and never had any OOM issue, using the aforementioned addons (AS2012, UT2, etc.), which is what is making me think something isn't being unloaded when leaving the CYVR region.

Cheers.

Sammy

« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2013, 01:08:11 pm »
I checked to see which dx I was using from the run box and it said dx11. Should I change this back to dx10 or leave it. I too get oom errors and would like to fix this, Also should I check the dx10 preview box in FSX.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2013, 01:18:18 pm »
I checked to see which dx I was using from the run box and it said dx11

Yes, because DX11 supports DX9 apps too. That info shows your video driver supports up to DX11 apps.

Should I change this back to dx10 or leave it. I too get oom errors and would like to fix this, Also should I check the dx10 preview box in FSX

Yes, you have to check the DX10 box into FSX.

pete_auau

« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2013, 02:50:09 pm »
Fair enough. I'll do some more testing. The boys above might be onto something with AS2012. I'll try running with it off and see what happens. I'll report my results.

What's interesting though, is that last test where I got an OOM at KLAX (never happened before, ever). Is it possible something from CYVR is still being held onto in memory even after leaving the region? I'm not sure how FSX handles the loading/unloading of terrain data... so I'm not being confrontational with this question, I just literally don't know how it works. I've had several jammed flight between KJFK/KORD into KLAX with max UI and never had any OOM issue, using the aforementioned addons (AS2012, UT2, etc.), which is what is making me think something isn't being unloaded when leaving the CYVR region.

Cheers.
I noticed  that you have   orbox  as well did  you remove  the cyvr  bgl  files  that are  in the orbox  scenery folders  which might  help  since  have  you check if  you  got  duplicates  towers  as  i had?  dont forget to save  the  bgl files  some  where else once you removed  them from the orbox folders

viperxbr

« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2013, 03:38:31 pm »

I meant disabling Ultimate Traffic 2, not AS2012.  If you're using HD cloud textures(2048 or 4096) from AS2012, I'd recommend reducing them to 1024.

Todd.
Thanks,
Todd.

golyaht

« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2013, 05:45:43 pm »
Hi Todd,

I have been running AS2012 with 1024 textures, with no appreciable benefit.

As for UT2, Umberto has said that they tested with UT2 running at 100%, while I'm running it around ~40%. In my eyes, AS2012 definitely seems like the rogue agent here. I'm starting another round of testing now. I should have some results shortly.

golyaht

« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2013, 05:47:14 pm »
I noticed  that you have   orbox  as well did  you remove  the cyvr  bgl  files  that are  in the orbox  scenery folders  which might  help  since  have  you check if  you  got  duplicates  towers  as  i had?  dont forget to save  the  bgl files  some  where else once you removed  them from the orbox folders

I never even knew about this. I never noticed if there were duplicate towers or not, but I wasn't really looking for it. I'll check for this and add it to my testplan. Thanks!

Sammy

« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2013, 08:43:18 pm »
Excellent scenery, . I also get oom errors at KLAX must be because I have LA limesim senery installed. Can we turn off the lighting effect to reduce memory usage. If FSX has reach this limit then we dont need extra features that use more memory.

Real

« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2013, 03:20:13 am »
I don't know if it could help but i had OOM's but  after changing LOD from large to medium and scenery complexity from very dense to dense i have no more OOM's. (with the Carenado Super King B200) I haven't tried it with the PMDG B737 yet. I'll see tomorrow.

Best regards

Real Deraps