Author Topic: Is This JFK?  (Read 6430 times)

cmpdesignz

Is This JFK?
« on: June 14, 2008, 05:56:21 am »
Today my 10 year old cousin found the airport marked "Kennedy Intl." Is this JFK? We are from NY and it's got the right coordinates, but if you follow the coast line due west, you should hit Manhattan, and you don't.

Can someone elaborate?

Thanks,
CP

Razgriz

Re: Is This JFK?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 09:08:59 am »
Kennedy Intl is the poor excuse for JFK on Flight Simulator.  It is by Microsoft so the scenery is not very elaborate.  Try finding some addon scenery.

_Dre_

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 02:21:44 pm »
Today my 10 year old cousin found the airport marked "Kennedy Intl." Is this JFK? We are from NY and it's got the right coordinates, but if you follow the coast line due west, you should hit Manhattan, and you don't.

Can someone elaborate?

Thanks,
CP

Well if you follow the coastline due west in real life you actually hit Staten Island. I haven't checked the coast line accuracy in the sim yet but I would assume it's not too far from that either. As for the default airport in the sim, it's not that bad but it's just not good enough.
Andre-FS9
AES Super User.

cmpdesignz

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 07:18:13 pm »
You are correct, you should fly around Queens, the south side of Brooklyn, and pass Staten Island on the left. I was looking to fly a fighter jet under the Brooklyn Bridge just for kicks!!!

As far as Kennedy is concerned, I was just wondering why it's not called by it full name, John F. Kennedy International Airport. Are there naming release rights that Microsoft wasn't able to obtain?

cmpdesignz

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 04:03:47 pm »
Still no NYC. This game is not accurate. I am kind of upset. I really wanted to fly under the bridges in a fighter plane.

Razgriz

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 05:12:46 pm »
Do you have your scenery complexity turned up?

B777ER

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 05:17:30 am »
Still no NYC. This game is not accurate. I am kind of upset. I really wanted to fly under the bridges in a fighter plane.

This statement speaks volumes as to the intelligent level we are dealing with here. ::)
Eric

Razgriz

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 06:35:19 am »
Can you just be quiet?  You can't go flying any airplane under a bridge in real life unless you're suicidal, or doing an air show.  You can do whatever in a sim.  Sorry, all work and no play makes jack a dull boy.  Let him have fun, its a simulator!

cmpdesignz

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 03:14:37 am »

This statement speaks volumes as to the intelligent level we are dealing with here. ::)

Sorry if I offended. I was just looking to have some fun. With all the air restrictions after 9/11 this could never happen in real life. Last time I checked it was a video game, or "sim" as some of you call it. Either way, it's not real - at least its not supposed to be.