Author Topic: New FSXBA Hornet  (Read 1152850 times)

PhantomTweak

Re: New FSXBA Hornet
« Reply #1365 on: April 12, 2017, 07:18:51 am »
My turn for a question, if I may be so bold:
An individual I met on another forum is enjoying this plane, the v16.1, immensely, as most seem to. He has a question, though, but is having trouble posting it here due to trouble registering. He says when he shuts the engines down after a flight, the engine smoke effect remains on. He uses the CTRL+SHFT+F1 method of shutting down.
Is there something he, and I for that matter since I'm trying to help him out, should check/look for/look at/do? Mine shuts down and the smoke effect goes away on my system, so it's hard for me to see his problem, or what to do about it.
Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide :)
Pat☺

Azframer

« Reply #1366 on: April 12, 2017, 08:47:45 am »
I would ask him if he starts a flight with engines not running and does not have the smoke effect then it would be how his computer handles it more than it would be the plane itself. I think it is more about available resources and his computer adjusting to the change of engines not running and stopping the effect.
I  hope that makes sense.

Rick

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #1367 on: April 12, 2017, 07:44:58 pm »
Az/Pat,

Did you friend install the aircraft via the auto-installer or manually?  My first hunch is that all of the effects for the aircraft might not have installed correctly.  Please ask him to verify that all of the effects were installed in the right location.

-Jimi

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

PhantomTweak

« Reply #1368 on: April 12, 2017, 08:39:36 pm »
Thanks guys for the quick responses!

My first hunch is that all of the effects for the aircraft might not have installed correctly.

That was my first guess too. As soon as I can get a hold of him again I'll ask. His PM cache is full so I can't send him any messages atm, but I will :)

Thanks again, all! I'll let you know as soon as do what's going on...
Pat☺

RagingBlue

« Reply #1369 on: May 03, 2017, 04:09:09 pm »
Back again with another question for Jimi! Any timeline of when you will release the full version of the plane you let me try out? I absolutely loved the way it handled!

Thanks again!

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #1370 on: May 04, 2017, 01:21:32 am »
Blue,

Soon!  Thanks to the help of a few great people, we've been able to make some great strides in the project to include the following:
-Updated and corrected FCS to allow better flight handling (similar to the last one I provided you)

-Finally able to get the Payload Manager to work for both TACPACK and Non-TACPACK users!  You can now customize the way you want to load up your jet in regards to bombs missiles and rockets!  Keep in mind though that you will still need TACPACK to actually fire/drop ordnance from the aircraft.  Same goes for weight and drag values. 
This is good because it will:
     -Significantly reduce the amount of variants that will be needed for installation and thus quicken the selection process when selecting the aircraft from the aircraft menu.
     -Decrease the overall file size.
     -Make actions such as adding new textures to the aircraft easier, since you would only have to complete the action once instead of for each variant.

-Fixed a couple of issues such as:
     -Wing fold issue where only one wing would fold.
     -Pilot head issue where the pilot's head would be rotated 90 degs to the left and seen through the helmet.
     -UA/PA FCS issues where controllability was degraded when transitioning between PA to UA.

-Few things we are still working on before next public release:
     -Re-integrate TACPACK functionality.  I have to adjust some of the coding due to the new Payload Manager structure.
     -Updated aircraft manual.

With all things said, shooting for a June release.

Thanks for the inquiry!

-Jimi

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

RagingBlue

« Reply #1371 on: May 05, 2017, 12:48:06 am »
Fantastic, I love all the work you and however many others have put into the planes so far

marte21

« Reply #1372 on: May 06, 2017, 01:49:55 pm »
Jimi, have you been able to solve the boresight only problem for AIM120?

Thank you!

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #1373 on: May 06, 2017, 10:45:25 pm »
Jimi, have you been able to solve the boresight only problem for AIM120?

No, not as of this time.

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

Azframer

« Reply #1374 on: May 13, 2017, 06:56:36 pm »
Jimi I ran across the FA-18C_FSXBA_BA_17.1.20_Test and downloaded and did some flying with it and I love it. High-speed low-speed low altitude high altitude was great all over. I like it more than I did the last test plane, it is harder to get above the speed of sound though. 8 Aim 120's and 2 sidewinders, I thought I had seen you say loadout's don't matter in performance, so I wonder why the struggle to get that speed?

Rick

PhantomTweak

« Reply #1375 on: May 13, 2017, 08:23:52 pm »
Hi Rick!
Hope things are well with you :)

As to the plane going above Mach: Actually, the different loadouts DO have different drag indices, and weights in the correct positions. So yeah, a bird with that missile load would have more trouble getting above Mach, than say a Training loadout, or a clean one, all else being equal.

Does that help?
Pat☺

Johan

« Reply #1376 on: May 14, 2017, 01:45:56 am »
Hi Pat,

I know it is still a beta version, but do you have the link to download the latest version 17.1.20? It looks like Jimi's site is still there to load version 16 which I have been enjoying immensely.
Thank you for all the work of Jimi's team.

Johan

ctec1

« Reply #1377 on: June 20, 2017, 12:38:18 pm »
Gentleman,

Quick question regarding the FSXBA Hornet and P3DV4. I've tried using the Hornet in P3dV4 but to no avail. I'm getting a FCS FAIL error across the HUD and no MFD's display. I know that the FSXBA hornet requires the original fsx FA-18.dll file to operate. I have installed it but still no luck. I'm no programmer but my guess is that dll is 32 bit. So my question is, if it is 32 bit can it be recompiled to 64 bit without the original source code?  Better yet, is there any hope of seeing the FSXBA Hornet in P3DV4?

Paddles mentioned on his blog that he thought getting vLSO working in P3DV4 was doable but would take some work. Would be a shame to have vLSO without the Hornet.

I'll sit back and hope for some good news from you guys. \
Thanks

PhantomTweak

« Reply #1378 on: June 20, 2017, 08:30:07 pm »
I am anything but a programmer, especially .dll's. I have no idea how difficult it would be to recompile the Hornet_FCS.dll for 64 bit, or if it's even necessary.
A suggestion, though, if I may be so bold: The Hornet_FCS.dll included in the v16.1 package is a relatively new one, updated by Orion. Try installing it into the correct location, instead of the older, "original" Hornet_FCS.dll from when FSX Acceleration first came out. As far as I know, the auto-installer will install the newer version into the correct location for you. If not, you can point the auto-installer to an empty "Temp" folder, let it install everything, then place the .dll manually.
Also, something I always double check on: The auto-installer will install the correct  Microsoft C++ Redistributable 2015, if you let it, and you absolutely must. It does this after it's installed the rest of the plane. Sometimes, the installer for the Redistributable can take a while. It can appear to be frozen, or locked up. It is NOT. Just let it run. it can take up to 15 minutes or longer. Just let it go until it's finished.
This is required to get the HUD and FCS to function at all, let alone correctly, as much as the .dll is.

Honestly, Orion is the "expert" at all things programming. I'm sure he will ring in eventually on all this. Just give him time :D
Hope this all helps a little...
Pat☺

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #1379 on: June 21, 2017, 03:22:43 am »
Ctec1,

Yes, there are a few issues here in regards to P3Dv4 and FS World since they both have been coded for 64bit.  One dealing with the FCS coding (Hornet_FCS.dll), and the other dealing with FSDreamTeam's coding (FA-18.dll) that comes with the Acceleration Hornet.

The Hornet_FCS.dll is what is used by the FSXBA Hornet to control the jet's control surfaces to the specifications that we've programmed, while the FA-18.dll provides avionic functionality to our jet.

Updating/recompiling the Hornet_FCS.dll to 64 bit is doable.  Trying to work with ORION to get that accomplished. 

As for the FA-18.dll, that's a whole different and frustrating beast altogether.  My attempts to get anything done with the file in recent history, has resulted in a constant ping-pong game between FSDreamTeam (the company that created the original gauge), Microsoft (the company that bought the code) and Dovetail (the company that brought the rights from Microsoft to redistribute the code).  As it sits, no one seems to want to play ball on releasing, updating or recompiling the dll for 64 bit (as far as I know).  The only other option for avionics is to redo the avionics for the jet ourselves, and due to the limited amount of experience of those currently working on the jet, this might take some time.  Especially considered that they are doing it for free.

Speaking of which, if any of your know anyone that is available to doing some avionics coding, please send them our way.  Definitely could use some help in this area!

Well there you have it, not really any good news, but its news none-the-less.

-Jimi

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels