Author Topic: New FSXBA Hornet  (Read 1148911 times)

Azframer

Re: New FSXBA Hornet
« Reply #1245 on: July 24, 2016, 10:41:21 pm »
I installed the 16.1 bird but I never posted my problems I was having with it due to thinking it was my machine I run it on. I don't have a huge budget for a high end computer. As much as I want to fly the C model I just can't, I get this crazy yaw left to right consistently above 300 knots, I've tried enabling and disabling auto rudder and nothing changes. Animations of flight control moments are minimal, full up elevator get little movement. I quit commenting back when I would fly and I would get a lock in elevator at a full pull, I'd release and the plane would continue to pull.
Waiting for the next release to see if it reacts on my computer better.

Raptor 1-1: any chance your machine updated drivers for your graphics card in between now and when the frame rates were good? Did your computer update from 8/8.1 to 10 in that time? It sure sounds like a driver change issue to me with a trickle down frame rate. It is typical for frame rates to drop off some especially on long flights. If it is major drop off I would look at the driver issue and see if that might be it. Other than that you might have GPU fixing to tank on you or is heating up, still could be a sign it is about to fail if it is heating up. If your graphics card has its own fan  make sure it has not failed.

Rick

PhantomTweak

« Reply #1246 on: July 25, 2016, 07:51:41 am »
Hi, Rick!
Y'know, I could swear (fairly often) that that problem, with the rudder waggling, was fixed by an change or update some time ago. Do I recall WHAT exactly? Of course not. I've slept since then :)
I'll look back through the thread here and see what I can see.
Just to be safe, have you downloaded and installed Mr. Orion's latest Hornet.dll? Same with the correct C++ Redistributable 2015 (32 bit version?) Have you tried DLing the latest v16.1 Jimi has posted and giving it a try? It maybe the fix is in, so to speak...
If none of that fixes it, I'll look at mine and see what I did to it, if I can find my notes. Mine did the same things, but doesn't any more, soooo...
But I could swear Jimi put out a fix for that problem.
Pat☺

Azframer

« Reply #1247 on: July 25, 2016, 09:37:59 pm »
I remember doing a C++ thing making sure I downloaded the right one. I am not so sure about the Hornet.dll. I'll try anything in hopes to flying a new and improved Hornet and really feel it is improved. I turned the clock way back in order to avoid the  yaw, getting the full pull lock from happening and the control surfaces to have the movement in animation that they had before. I went all the way back to FA-18C_FSXBA2014 FLT14.8 and FA-18C_FSXBA2014 BA14.8.

Rick

PhantomTweak

« Reply #1248 on: July 26, 2016, 07:33:47 am »
OK, here we go :)

The very latest edition of the v16.1: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3So3WwTLPRZVU1jaVUtTXZIVVU/view?pref=2&pli=1

The Hornet.dll (I think. Still looking for certainty): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19121193/FSX/FSXBA/HornetFCS.html

And last, the C++ you need: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145

If the second link isn't Orion's Hornet.dll, I will keep looking, but I am almost certain it's included in the v16.1 DL. You can try just replacing the whole thing, and seeing if it helps. I have found, just as an aside, that if you have an older version installed, you will need to add a little note to the new ones to differentiate them. I put a "v16.1" behind them on the title= line and the variation= line to do the trick. In each aircraft's aircraft.cfg file.

I hope this all helps bring you up to date...
Pat☺

Azframer

« Reply #1249 on: July 26, 2016, 10:04:28 am »
The 2nd one was the HornetFCS.dll. where does that go? No readme file with that. I tried doing a search to find where they were talking about it and I did not find it that way.
I've been wrapped up in the 777 modeling the cockpit I had not read that much lately. Thanks for the help Pat.

Rick

PhantomTweak

« Reply #1250 on: July 26, 2016, 08:42:07 pm »
I found the thread where Mr. Orion posted the new .DLL.
To Quote his post:
then copy HornetFCS.dll to your FSXBA Hornet panel folder, replacing the existing file.
He also specifies to make sure the C++ from the link I gave is installed first, THEN install the .DLL. Of course, if you have it already installed then disregard this little bit :)
If you run into FCS problems with the .DLL install, start reading page 78 onward of this thread. There is a great deal of excellent info there, mostly Mr. Orion trying to help people with HornetFCS.DLL installation, and operation, problems.
By the bye, he has mentioned it's not MR. Orion, just Orion, but I have a habitual respect thing for people smarter than I. To me, it just seems more respectful to add the Mr. I apologize if that offends. It's ingrained in my mind.  :-\

I hope all this helps some.  :)
Pat☺

Azframer

« Reply #1251 on: July 27, 2016, 03:57:18 am »
That was it the whole time then, I missed the dll file when it was talked about. It does not lock in the full pull like it did before. The flight controls in animation work good, elevator is showing full up and down, the elevator movement in full left or right roll show only slight movement, although ailerons don't show full movement like I feel they should in animation only, the actual controls in flight feel spot on to me. Please don't take this as a complaint,  just trying to give some input on what I see now that I am able to give some input and not feel like it was my computer that was letting me down.

Does that same dll file work for Peter's NH Hornet as well? He had the D model of the USMC_VMFAT-101_12 and the C model USN_VFC-12_06 I painted and like to fly as well but it did the same elevator sticking thing, it was slightly more prone to stick and harder to unstick. Jimi has been staying away from the D model for now.

I am liking the feel of the flight controls on the 16.1 version. I did line up for landing and noticed a auto trim when I lowered the gear, I had line up and was waiting for my airspeed to drop enough to lower gear on a straight in approach, once I lower gear I had to add a bit of down elevator to get it to start going back to my sink rate I was looking for.

Oh I also noticed the pilot helmet was black on the clean splinter texture and Blue Angel 1 I have not flown any of the others yet to see the rest.

Rick

Kea

« Reply #1252 on: July 28, 2016, 06:51:08 am »
Here's a curly question for those in the know...
I've just tried to use FacetracknoIR with the FSXBA Hornet and during high-G turns the camera gets really bad flicker/stutter. Would I be right in assuming this has something to do with how the eyepoint "moves" normally with this aircraft during such turns? Other FSX aircraft don't seem to have this floating eyepoint and so don't seem to be affected during similar turns. Anyone else using FacetracknoIR with this jet?

Azframer

« Reply #1253 on: July 28, 2016, 07:18:48 am »
Kea how does that hook up to the computer per port, Wifi networking or Bluetooth? Either of those could be a choke point for video I would think. This is like the virtual glasses type thing? I wanted to try those one day when I could afford them. That would be a treat for flying formation.

Rick

PhantomTweak

« Reply #1254 on: July 28, 2016, 07:51:09 am »
Does that same dll file work for Peter's NH Hornet as well?
I believe it does, but I may well be wrong. I think so buuut. I hope Peter or Jimi will weigh in on this eventually.

As to the ailerons, bear in mind that MOST of the roll authority is vested in the "slabs", or horizontal stabilizers. The ailerons are almost a back-up system for that.
They move farther or less far depending on the speed and roll input. Slower speed, greater roll input than normal, then they move. PA mode makes them move farther. Things like that. Go to Locked Spot view during a long final sometime, once you are "on-speed", and crank the stick hard over, to see the greatest movement. Then take a look during a nice, clean aircraft, straight and level run at 20,000' and 400 kt's, and again, crank the stick over. You will hardly see them move at all. But you'll see the Horizontal Stabs move a LOT. It's also limited in roll-rate, because the horizontal stabs have enough authority, under the proper conditions, to tear the tail off the aircraft. Again, read the NATOPS :)

As to the trim during PA mode: it goes to 8.1°, as that is the proper trim during PA mode, full flaps. The plane is designed to have that attitude during approach. It's in the NATOPS, and I can find it if you want. Once it settles into the 8.1° setting, and once your speed bleeds off, flaps are full, and gear down, then you can adjust your sink rate with the throttle, and the elevators. The speed brake, coupled with a normal break turn, or even by it's self, will slow you down to gear and flaps speed, or 175Kts.
If you are on a long straight-in to a land-base, or even the boat, you can do a couple of short, sharp S-turns to bleed airspeed off too. Normal approach to a landing, meaning a break-turn to downwind, throttles to idle and speed-brake out, WILL slow you down, though. I've done a LOT of them, and it's worked great for me every time.
Remember to watch your AOA indicator, speed, E symbol, velocity vector, and all that good stuff. It WILL settle into the proper attitude, and sink-rate, for the plane's gross weight, if you let the FCS do it's job.

Hope all that rambling helps out some :)
Pat☺

Kea

« Reply #1255 on: July 29, 2016, 03:22:06 am »
Azframer - it's just software that uses your webcam to track your face instead of a trackIR-type system. It's not perfect but it is interesting! I'm not streaming it to another device like a headset for the full VR experience. The issue, as far as I've tested, only occurs with the FSXBA Hornet, so I'm wondering if there is a "floating eyepoint" (I'm calling it that) built in to the Hornet which "moves" your head in response to high-g for a more immersive experience - and if so, this might be conflicting with FacetracknoIR when it kicks in. I don't know, just a bit of a theory...

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #1256 on: July 29, 2016, 06:15:29 am »
Gents,

AZ...
Does that same dll file work for Peter's NH Hornet as well?
I'm pretty sure the coding will work with PETERS's NH, but since the FCS isn't tweaked to his numbers, I can't guarantee what it will fly like.  If you simply want to fly in the Delta or have a certain texture, I would just transfer the Delta 3D model into the folder and make the appropriate corrections in the aircraft.cfg file.

As for the aileron movement on the ground, I've got that fixed, just need to release.  Just a simple adjustment to the .air file.  But Pat is correct, while in flight, flight control movements are based exclusively on stick positions, but rather what you are "asking for".  In this case, lateral stick position is asking of the jet (commanding) for a selected ROLL RATE, so the ailerons and stabs will move as much as they need to to achieve the roll rate that was asked for based on the positioning of the stick.  The lower the speed, the more the ailerons and stabs have to move to achieve the desired roll rate so you will see more stab movement when you move the stick.  At higher speeds, less stab and aileron deflection is needed so you will see less control surface movement given the same stick position.

KEA...
The issue you are having deals with the visual effect that was added in the jet to simulate air buffeting under high G.  This can be disabled in the panel.config file by placing "//" next to all of the entries that contain "FX\Vibration" so
Code: [Select]
gauge45=FX\Vibration_AOA!vc_shake_dirty,  0,0,0 would be changed to
Code: [Select]
//gauge45=FX\Vibration_AOA!vc_shake_dirty,  0,0,0.  Once you are done, save and reload into FSX.

Hope this helps.

Jimi

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

PhantomTweak

« Reply #1257 on: July 29, 2016, 07:36:53 am »
Thanks for the help, Jimi! I was totally brain-dead the last few days... ;D  :P
Pat☺

Azframer

« Reply #1258 on: July 29, 2016, 09:05:48 am »
Thanks Jimi, I tried the dll file of your's with Peter's Hornet and it did not work so well. The locking of elevator stopped but the animation was not right either. I can't even remember what was up at this point. His had autoflaps.dll, I stashed his loaded your's that had a different name did not really work then I changed the name of yours to his name. did not work but like I said the lock stopped. At this point I'll add the Delta to yours and go from there. Thanks for all your hard work on this taking the time to give us answer and a awesome plane.
Oh and thanks to all the other guys working on this project helping Jimi move it along.

Here is the kicker not sure you have heard about. I am from Pensacola home of the Blues, dad sent me a email with a article on the Blues, Sept 2017 they will be  in the Super Hornet. I posted the link on another thread not wanting to clog this one up. But now that I posted here it is.
http://weartv.com/news/local/blue-angels-flight-team-gets-plane-upgrade

Rick
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 09:09:36 am by Azframer »

hd764jvgd843

« Reply #1259 on: July 29, 2016, 01:18:31 pm »
Hello everybody, I have been offline for some time taking a break from the project and a stressful job, thus I couldn't follow forum discussions either.

Azframer: Trying to merge the latest FSXBA beta with HornetFCS.dll into the older NH mods utilizing the older Autoflaps.dll will not work because folder structure is quite different, .air file changes, and internal Panel folder changes will mess it up.

Assuming you want to create a working D model version of current FSXBA beta release I suggest the following procedures:

a) Quick and dirty: As Jimi has already suggested, just copy the corresponding D model files into the model folders and rename them accordingly. In a jiffy you will be good to go and the D models will show instead of the C models. You can only replace Clean and Trainer models because currently others do not exist.

b) Parallel mods: This is a more painstaking undertaking, but is a great way to familiarize yourself with the mods internal dealings and structure.
- Start with cloning/copying and renaming the latest FSXBA beta version folder, within the sim for the D version.
- Replace the Clean and Trainer C version model files with the corresponding D version ones, other variant folders for the D version can be deleted because no model files exist for these.
- Next you have to carefully adjust the naming within the aircraft.cfg referencing to the D version files/folders, again removing references to D version variants that do not exist, e.g. GBU, Mav, etc. This will make sure the aircraft is listed correctly within the sim and side by side with the C variants and is pointing to the right model files and texture folders.
- Now, you should have working FSXBA D model variants. Warning: Do not try to adjust paths/references within the Panel.Fleet folder. The HornetFCS.dll for the D version will be in fact referencing to the existing C version, because of how it is designed, but it will not matter, since one cannot simultaneously fly a C and D variant.

Please, beware D model versions may have some additional issues and glitches compared to the C model versions.

Best regards,
Peter