Author Topic: GSX Jetway cannot connect at default airport  (Read 2088 times)

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
GSX Jetway cannot connect at default airport
« on: August 01, 2021, 08:55:32 pm »
Hi Umberto. P3Dv5.2 HF1. Short flight from payware Helsinki to default ULLI St Petersburg in PMDG737-800.

Taxied to gate G104 and hit p/brake and shut down engines. Selected 6 - Jetways from menu but message appeared saying they couldn’t connect.

I chose 0 then 1 to reposition accurately and tried again. Still no joy. Any ideas?
Cheers,
Ray.

P3Dv5.3HF2, i9-13900K @ 5.5Ghz, RTX4090, 32Gb RAM, 4Tb Crucial T700 NVMe SSD, BenQ 32” 30Hz monitor at 3840*2160 with VSync.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX Jetway cannot connect at default airport
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 03:16:50 pm »
Assuming you are referring to SODE jetways that has been automatically replaced by GSX on a default airport, there's no guarantee they will work with every airplane because, as explained so many times on the forum, whether a jetway works is the result of this combination:

- the airplane stopping position on ground which, assuming you parked "perfectly" ( as far as GSX is concerned ) on a default airport with no customization, means you are with the airplane center placed in the parking spot center, so there's no guarantee that default replacement jetway will work on that specific airplane from that place.

- the eventual customization of the GSX Stop position, which is an extra information you can add that doesn't normally exists on airports, unless they have a custom GSX profile, which instruct GSX to consider *that* position instead of placing the airplane in the center of the parking, which is the default behaviour.

- the airplane door configuration. Not all airplanes are the same, if one works, there's no guarantee another will. Assuming, of course, the door configuration is correct.

- the jetway model *itself*. GSX by default use a GSX/SODE model that has the same physical dimensions of the default jetway it replaced but, there's no guarantee that model will work with every airplane on every parking in every position ( if such jetway existed in the real world, it will very popular with airports ), that's why in real world an in GSX, different models with different sizes are used, to better match the parking and the typical planes that go on each specific parking. GSX comes with about 90 different jetway models for a reason.

I strongly suggest to have a read at the GSX manual, especially Page 43, the "Understanding the Stop position", which explains all of this in greater detail.

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 07:44:38 pm »
Thanks for your reply Umberto. Yes, it was about GSX-generated jetways at default airports.

I’ll read the manual. It does seem to work at many but not all. Still better than CTRL+J.  :)
Cheers,
Ray.

P3Dv5.3HF2, i9-13900K @ 5.5Ghz, RTX4090, 32Gb RAM, 4Tb Crucial T700 NVMe SSD, BenQ 32” 30Hz monitor at 3840*2160 with VSync.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2021, 02:35:52 pm »
I’ll read the manual. It does seem to work at many but not all.

That's precisely the presence of that chapter: explaining why it CANNOT work in "all" places automatically, but it requires a customization of the jetway model and the stop position.

Which of course is the same as in real world. I'm sure airport management would love to buy a single jetway model that would work on every gate and regardless where the plane is parked, but such thing doesn't exists in reality and many models in different sizes and specs are available, and parking positions are clearly set.

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2021, 07:47:53 pm »
Anything for an easy life!  ;D Don’t worry, GSX does a great job and most of my landings are at 3rd party airports when the jetways work just fine. Keep up the good work.
Cheers,
Ray.