Author Topic: Problem when reinstalling for a fresh gsx install  (Read 4794 times)

Flightsimmer747

Problem when reinstalling for a fresh gsx install
« on: April 29, 2012, 04:46:18 am »
I keep getting a CTD with an error message. However if i disable DEP in windows 7 it works. My question is WHY? By default i would like to keep DEP enabled. If I enable after install I still get CTD.

What can I try, for a fresh install and proper removal, to reverse the effect of having deo enabled and wanting to run gsx?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Problem when reinstalling for a fresh gsx install
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 12:56:23 pm »
I have both DEP and UAC enabled and never got any crashes, and I guess most users do, since they are on by default. But DEP it's not the same on all systems, the bios has an effect how DEP works. If you have to turn off DEP on your system, then turn it off.

Flightsimmer747

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 01:03:37 pm »
What happens if i remove esellerrate, its the only thing i haven t tried?

Sure i can disable dep but why it should always be on?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 01:08:03 pm »
If you remove Esellerate, nothing made by FSDT, Qualitywings, Flight sim labs and Flightbeam will ever work. Not that Esellerate has anything to do with this so, don't wast time trying.

As I've said, most of users have DEP on (it's the default setting in Vista or Windows 7) so, it's possible there's something specific with your system that requires to be turned off to run our software, possibly a bios bug.

Flightsimmer747

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 10:18:29 pm »
SOLVED

Xp compatibility mode was on. Now i turned it off and i got the error once but fsx still loaded and i have the add on manager that came with the installer and couatl.exe appearing in the menu

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 10:21:03 am »
Yes, of course, XP Compatibility mode shouldn't be enabled for FSX, which also causes all sort of troubles with disappearing objects. The error message would probably go away after a Windows reboot.

boilerbill

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 07:49:45 pm »
The problem is the XP Compatibility Mode is recommended by many people, including the "experts" at Microsoft (see http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproappcompat/thread/e44c0452-991d-4e80-a181-6dde38fdbe9a/). I've also seen it recommended on individual aircraft forums, including the Level-D, Super 80, and iFly forums. And I even recall NickN recommending its usage, although I can't find the specific post at the moment. It's a very confusing world out there right now. I used the XP SP3 setting myself on my old Vista 32 system, but I don't need it on my Windows 7 64-bit system. It often comes to trial-and-error to see what works with a particular computer. But then a setting that makes one program work may interfere with another.
Stu

Specs: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07 Hz, 12 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX 465 w/4 GB RAM, Driver v301.42 , LG W2753 monitor (1920x1080x32), Windows 7 x64 Home Premium

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 11:29:30 pm »
I think those "experts" at that Microsoft site used that reply as a standard catch-all response to *any* user reporting a problem with *any* program when used under Windows 7

There are many flaws in that reply:

- The MS moderator suggested that the XP compatibility mode should be enabled, on the reasoning that the published requirements for FSX were "XP / Vista", but they were published as such, because in 2006 when FSX was released, Windows 7 wasn't out yet AND when a program requirements says "XP / Vista", it means it will run in EITHER, not that it "requires" something from XP.

- As a general rule, something that runs in Vista, does't have the slightest issue under Windows 7 and doesn't require the XP compatibility mode. You need to turn on "XP Compatibility" mode ONLY when something runs ONLY under XP.

And besides, the question posed on that forum was the user asked why he couldn't quit from FSX under Windows 7. Since this doesn't happen, it's likely the user had some 3rd party addon that wasn't compatible with Windows 7 and created issue which, incidentally, might have fixed this problem for that user, without this meaning that FSX would run best with it.

In fact, the XP Compatibility mode does many tricks to make the software believe is running under XP, like changing the OS version number reported, redirecting the read/write to system folders, redirecting the registry, and this create problems with products (like our own) which ARE FULLY compatible with Windows 7, since our installers correctly check the OS version number to install the proper files in the proper folders, using the proper registry keys depending on the OS and respecting all the possible permissions issues related to Windows 7.

So, if the installer, which of course detects a real Windows 7 running, installs everything correctly for Windows 7, but FSX is set into XP Compatibility, once the software runs everything goes wrong, because the software is forced to believe it's running under XP.

That's why XP Compatibility should be off, because it's dangerous for products that ARE compatible with Windows 7, and all our products are, and FSX itself is.

Note that, most of the problems some 3rd party addons might have in FSX under Windows 7 ( not our own ) might be solved more safely by simply running FSX As Administrator, or changing the FSX folder permissions to read/write for all normal users.