Author Topic: Disappearing Wings...  (Read 7376 times)

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
Disappearing Wings...
« on: April 17, 2008, 11:03:30 pm »
I know this is a far stretch, but does anyone know how to alter the config files so that the Hornet doesn't disappear once you get within 10 feet?  Me and a couple of buddies of mine like to fly pretty close but once we get within 5-10 feet, the wings and part of the jet start disappearing, even though we are not physically touching from an outside viewpoint.  Is there a way to prevent this from happening? 

...Also, we finally finished out intro video for our website.  Check us out at www.fsxblueangels.com  Tell me what you think.  Thanks again.

-jimi

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

Razgriz

Re: Disappearing Wings...
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 12:44:53 am »
Pictures please?

Voodoo

• Voodoo's Hangar
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 01:27:33 am »
Yup, let's see some screenshots of the problem Jimi.

And here's a wild guess...if it's what I think your going to show us, try "CTRL +" and "CTRL -" to adjust you camera viewpoint. If I guess wrong then the virtual beers are on me!!!  :D
FSX Community Tweaks and Fixes at Voodoo's Hangar - voodoo.wikispaces.com

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 05:24:12 am »
This is what I am talking about.  All that ugliness inside the red oval.

Again any help would be greatly appreciated

-Jimi

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

Razgriz

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 02:51:14 am »
Lol, 0 airspeed :D  That is with Gamespy people are saying.

crim3

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 01:14:05 pm »
It's a problem with the near plane clipping. I don't know if it can be tweaked, but... you can try to add ClipMode=Minimun to the virtual cockpit camera definition in cameras.cfg (the file placed at Documents and Settings... etc, not at the FSX directory)

Voodoo

• Voodoo's Hangar
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 04:54:57 pm »
I think Crim3 has hit the nail right on the head.

This link on the FSDeveloper site describes a similar problem with pics:
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4437

The SDK has the following to say about the "clipmode" parameter in the [cameradefinition.n] sections of the cameras.cfg file. Which, as Crim3 points out, is in your Documents and Settings folder, not your FSX directory. (The cameras.cfg file contains all the standard camera positions, and your individual aircraft.cfg files contain custom camera views unique to each aircraft).

In the cameras.cfg file, there is also a "Multiplayer Planes" camera as well as your "Virtual Cockpit" one. If one doesn't work you could try the other.

Excerpt from the SDK:

"clipmode - Normal, Minimum, Spot, Tower

This setting is used to control how the clip planes are computed. Clip planes are used to set the minimum and maximum distances for rendering in a 3D graphics program. The relative location of these planes determines how precise the graphics engine can maintain the Z-order of objects. A discussion of clip plane management is beyond the scope of this document. However, the concept is relevant to the camera system because it determines whether the camera favors near or far objects in the view:

• Normal – The near clip plane is scaled along with the zoom level. Useful for most views.
• Minimum – Clamps the near clip plane at its absolute minimum value (1 meter). Useful for cameras where the camera is placed close to object geometry (e.g., aircraft cameras).
• Spot – Favors distant objects by scaling the near clip plane with altitude and distance. Useful when the camera is positioned a reasonable distance away from the target object (e.g., spot view).
• Tower – Favors near objects by scaling the near clip plane by one-half the zoom level and clamping the far plane based on visibility settings with an absolute limit of 20km. Useful when objects at the limits of visibility aren’t important."

FSX Community Tweaks and Fixes at Voodoo's Hangar - voodoo.wikispaces.com

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 06:07:26 am »
Thanks guys!  We will give it a shot.

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels