Author Topic: GSX Tries to update after it updates....  (Read 25498 times)

WilliamJSS

Re: GSX Tries to update after it updates....
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 09:22:14 am »
Well, its a no go. Still having the same problem.
I updated on the 20th, and today, it just asked me to update the same one again.

This has to be a setting I don't have correct right? I mean, all my files that got changed showed the 20th...I made it a point to go in a look at the modification dates.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 01:39:22 pm »
The only file that affects the change locally, it's the Couatladdons.ini file in the %APPDATA%\Virtuali, there's a [liveupdate] section that controls the live update preference.

The file/date on your system is entirely disregarded, because it's far too unreliable, the notification for an update is a special html tag that is checked on the server, and it's then saved in the Couatladdons.ini file. And, there's the timestamp of the last time the check was made  ( the "last_check" parameter, I believe it's seconds from 1/1/1970 or so, the standard Posix timestamp )

You can try removing the whole [liveupdate] section, perhaps there's something wrong in it.

Morten

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 05:36:38 pm »
This time I managed well, by simply clicking "ignore" to the auto generated popup update and instead manually go to the "search for updates" - the update has now been correctly installed and the faulty popup haven't shown up since, so far!

In my case it didn't install any update at all, before now!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 06:28:19 pm by Morten »

jvile

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 07:55:57 pm »
Hi Umberto

Just to let you know I am still getting Live update screens every couple of days. I updated when the Feb 20 came available but every couple of days the Live Update screen shows up again.

I am wondering if it has to do with the fact that I test /work in ADEX and build on airports everyday. I also use the FSX default B737-800

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/5541/fsscr017.jpg

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/5719/fsscr016.jpg

Does any of this help?

[liveupdate]
major_version_installed = "39baa6a7-7-4b8a1739172c0"
live_version_ignore = "30001821-6f3b2-4b96c913ad0c0"
live_version_installed = 2
last_check = 1330021760.44
major_version_ignore = "39baa6a7-7-4b8a1739172c0"

Great Program
Jim Vile
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 10:11:42 pm by virtuali »

Pete Dowson

• Beta tester
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 08:12:59 pm »
Just to let you know I am still getting Live update screens every couple of days. I updated when the Feb 20 came available but every couple of days the Live Update screen shows up again.

I thought it had gone away after not having it come up all day yesterday, but it came up again on my second FSX load today!

Regards
Pete

WilliamJSS

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2012, 08:32:15 pm »
This is interesting, as it seems from the responses that not everyone is having this problem, or hundreds of people would have posted.
I wonder that the systems differences/Similarities are....

Win7 64Bit Professional
UAC turned all off
Virus scan while ingame off
FSX Gold Edition all updated
i7-2600k stock
EVGA 560ti 2GB
Asus Pro

GSX+KLAX

Might or might not help to know this, probably not, but just don't understand why a few are having this problem and most are not. Again, this is not the biggest issue, as I don't have to restart, but I still would like to know if my updates are actually functioning like they are suppose to...and something is not being passed over.

Is there anyway until this is figured out, that we could maybe get a post with a manual update that we could run ourselves out of the game...and see if that works or fixes the situation? That way at least we would know that it is installing successfully.

Thanks.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2012, 10:14:32 pm »

That's strange so, after 2 days, you were prompted to update again with the Feb. 20th update ? What happens if you dismiss the update ?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2012, 10:15:28 pm »
until this is figured out, that we could maybe get a post with a manual update that we could run ourselves out of the game...and see if that works or fixes the situation? That way at least we would know that it is installing successfully.

Just run Couatl_Updater.exe from the FSX\fsdreamteam\Couatl folder.

WilliamJSS

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2012, 11:58:55 pm »
I will run the exe.

If I press dismiss...all is fine, and I am still able to use GSX. As I don't or can't use every function at once, I am unsure as to what if anything might be the problem.

jvile

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2012, 11:31:21 pm »
The only file that affects the change locally, it's the Couatladdons.ini file in the %APPDATA%\Virtuali, there's a [liveupdate] section that controls the live update preference.

The file/date on your system is entirely disregarded, because it's far too unreliable, the notification for an update is a special html tag that is checked on the server, and it's then saved in the Couatladdons.ini file. And, there's the timestamp of the last time the check was made  ( the "last_check" parameter, I believe it's seconds from 1/1/1970 or so, the standard Posix timestamp )

You can try removing the whole [liveupdate] section, perhaps there's something wrong in it.

This is not what I am seeing.

Each time I start FSX the Couatladdons.ini file in the %APPDATA%\Virtuali, is updated with the date/time from my computer system. I don't have a problem with that since its your file and on each startup of FSX you probably are looking to run a Live Update if one exist.

However, many of my FSX default planes are getting a new date/time stamp for the Aircraft.cfg file.

Example, I start FSX and my computer clock says 2/24/2012 4:52PM (EST). The following files get the same date and time.

Couatladdons.ini
B737-800 Aircraft.cfg
Beech Baron 58 Aircraft.cfg
Beech King Air 350 Aircraft.cfg
C208B Aircraft.cfg
Lear45 Aircraft.cfg

I keep looking through each of the updated Aircraft.cfg files and do not see anything changed so I am wondering why GSX is changing the file date and time on each start of FSX. This might also relate to why some of us keep getting a live update screen every couple days.      

Thanks
jim
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 02:02:58 am by jvile »

WilliamJSS

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2012, 02:53:15 am »
Running the exe does not seem to have any effect for me. Just got the update message again for the 20th.

pete_auau

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2012, 10:27:29 am »
it  worked  for  me    so  far  hopefully   havnt  had it  appear  for the last2  times  so   have to  wait  for the  third  time  i  open  up  fsx

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2012, 10:37:28 am »
This is not what I am seeing.

That's not what I've meant. I haven't said that files date/time on your system are not affected. I said their own date/time is not AFFECTING the decision to updated them or not, which is entirely different.

Each time I start FSX the Couatladdons.ini file in the %APPDATA%\Virtuali, is updated with the date/time from my computer system. I don't have a problem with that since its your file and on each startup of FSX you probably are looking to run a Live Update if one exist.

That's normal in fact.

I keep looking through each of the updated Aircraft.cfg files and do not see anything changed so I am wondering why GSX is changing the file date and time on each start of FSX. This might also relate to why some of us keep getting a live update screen every couple days.

I believe you are looking at the last accessed date, not the last modification date, and that's is NOT changed by GSX, is changed by the file system itself, whenever anything access that file, even if only for reading. So yes, GSX will obviously need to READ all the aircraft.cfg files, to get data like airplane weight, wingspan, exits (if there's no better source of information), your atc airline code, etc.

The file is only read, and it's not modified in any way. The ONLY aircraft.cfg that are changed, not by GSX itself, but by its installer only at install time, are the default 737-800 and 747-400, to fix a bug that prevents their service door from working.

I confirm file date/time of your files are entirely disregarded by GSX when deciding to update a file.

The only time-related information are the timestamps in the [liveupdate] section of the Couatladdons.ini file, if more than 24 hours have passed since the last time an update was made, the program will check again and IF the server reports a different version hash tag, there will be a prompt to do a Live Update. So, if there was something wrong with the timestamp in the Couatladdons.ini, the only effect would be that either Live Update would just check without waiting 24 hours but, to get a Live Update notification, it would be necessary that also the *server* reported there's a different version than the one you have, using the hash tag which is part of the http header, it doesn't have any relationship with date/time on the file on your system.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2012, 10:39:50 am »
Running the exe does not seem to have any effect for me. Just got the update message again for the 20th.

Is still not very clear what you did then.

Are you applying the suggested update ? Because, if you haven't, it will keep suggesting you to update every 24 hours, until you either update or select the option to Ignore this update, in that case it will not prompt you to update anymore, until the NEXT update is released.

paulnd

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2012, 11:00:25 am »
Hi,

I had the same problem. Deleting the [liveupdate] seems to have fixed it for now.

Paul