Author Topic: vLSO Beta release  (Read 824890 times)

predattak

Re: vLSO Beta release
« Reply #1125 on: December 15, 2014, 10:54:05 am »
Thank you for your help guys, this is nice info but i'm still not sure about what variables to put into vLSO ... it's asking me for a slow and fast AoA these charts are telling me that the optimum angle is 17 points of AoA so what number should i put in the fast and slow box so that vLSO can calculate that 17 points of AoA is the good angle? ..maybe i got the charts wrong if so sorry about that guys
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 12:24:49 pm by predattak »

ESzczesniak

« Reply #1126 on: December 15, 2014, 05:15:33 pm »
Thank you for your help guys, this is nice info but i'm still not sure about what variables to put into vLSO ... it's asking me for a slow and fast AoA these charts are telling me that the optimum angle is 17 points of AoA so what number should i put in the fast and slow box so that vLSO can calculate that 17 points of AoA is the good angle? ..maybe i got the charts wrong if so sorry about that guys

Hopefully others can point to some real documents, but as a rule the "window" for perfect AOA (orange doughnut only) is typically about 2 degrees.  So somewhere from 16-18 would be reasonable.  Some aircraft have a smaller window as well, so it's not perfect.

One thing perhaps others can clarify better is I'm not sure if the 17 degrees of alpha was for the "groove" or your turn in to the groove.  Typically you fly your final AOA on the turn from abeam to the groove, but 17 degrees does seem a bit high to me and I'm not sure they have to be one in the same (i.e., perhaps in the groove you should be flying 14 degrees...or whatever).

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #1127 on: December 15, 2014, 06:23:23 pm »
The FCLP 'text' and then the 'text in the graphic for carrier approach' clearly state use 17 degrees AoA for approach OR the computed airspeed for weight.

I could have highlighted with colour the line [which is slightly bolder than the others] in the graph which reads:

OPTIMUM APPROACH SPEED 17 UNITS AoA, Flaps 30°, Slats Out

I would say that if anything the RAZBAM model is wonky if there is an impression that 17 degrees AoA is too high. As for the other questions I have no idea. Perhaps there is an answer in the NATOPS? I'll have a look.

Attached is a PDF page made for my 4.4GB PDF available online - soon to be updated there.... ANYway like the A-4 the AoA indexer is not calibrated in actual degrees - but units. Below is the text from the Prowling NATOPS:

"2.11.8.1 ANGLE OF ATTACK Indicator.
The ANGLE OF ATTACK indicator is on the upper left side of the pilot's instrument panel. The pointer is driven by a servomotor and rotates over a card graduated from 0 to 30 units. Optimum angle of attack for landing approach is marked by a light area of the 3-o'clock position on the instrument (17 units AOA). The units do not reflect angle of attack in degrees. A readout window on the instrument face will indicate OFF if there is no power to the servomotors."

NATOPS TWO PAGES about AOA and STUFF attached now.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 09:04:14 pm by SpazSinbad »
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

Striker

• Sierra Hotel
« Reply #1128 on: December 15, 2014, 09:13:21 pm »
predattak,

Spaz’s information is all that is likely to be available in finding the AOA in degrees since “The cam-operated switches in the angle-of-attack indicator also control the approach indexer.” Thus the optimum approach AOA in degrees is passed internally and not available.

I had this road block to be able to use vLSO with my T-28C which does not even have an AOA indicator or an Approach indexer. Likely others will have the problem as more aircraft are wanting to become supported in vLSO.

While there may well be other ways to get the AOA degrees for the 4.12 deg. and the 3.5 deg. glide slope, here are some suggestion:

1.   Contact the Dev or the person who did the FDE for the sim model and ask if they will provide the AOA needed in degrees. It worked for me;
2.   Look at the supported planes in present vLSO and see if there are any close to your airframe design since AOA is in part airframe specific(i.e.,S-3B Viking) . If so, load the AOA values data into vLSO and test fly using the onboard AOA indexer and the vLSO approach data record to fine tune the optimum approach AOA in degrees. The abeam variables should be available in the
http://air.felisnox.com/view.php?name=ea6b.pdf chapter 8 – Ship-Based Procedures.
Respectfully,
Striker

Charlie Time

SpazSinbad

• A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #1129 on: December 16, 2014, 12:06:27 am »
Attached are the 11 + cover pages of the aforesaid NATOPS Ship Based Procedures. In my experience reading other aircraft NATOPS is that they are all different in many ways. For various reasons (security?) a lot of info is just not there compared to older now obsolete aircraft perhaps. Anyway NATOPS is not called the 'big blue sleeping pill' for nothing.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 12:19:16 am by SpazSinbad »

Tregarth

« Reply #1130 on: December 18, 2014, 01:12:26 pm »
I found this USN training film about LSO's.  The quality is not that good, it's in black and white and I guess from the aircraft dates from Vietnam but worth a look.

Interestingly it says the glide slope is 4deg

Tregarth

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #1131 on: December 18, 2014, 06:18:38 pm »
They reworked the FLOLS in FSX, and we now will have 3.5 degree glideslope  :o,
Hope vLSO will support this new carrier when released!
Well, the upcoming beta is 90% ready. Now flying my trusty Bug, doing some final tests and code corrections... Just a couple of screengrabs for your information.

Yes, the 3.5 FLOLS is a whole different story, to me at least  ;) With manual ball I get shorter grooves, even NESA sometimes. Here's a debrief of one of such passes.
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

SpazSinbad

« Reply #1132 on: December 18, 2014, 06:25:58 pm »
Thanks 'Tregarth' - as they say in my part of the world 'brilliant, beauty, bottler'.  ;D Great video to explain the LSO and all that entails both good and bad.

With the WOD at 30 knots, as also described in the video, with the 4 degree glideslope, then these details will be generalisations most likely. Higher WOD decreases the glideslope in effect (as a generalisation) and as described (probably in this thread & elsewhere on this forum) there is a factor of 'too much WOD' which will increase Rate of Descent at touchdown and other things. So there is an ideal WOD for each aircraft these days (not that many aircraft now though).

GOONIE

« Reply #1133 on: December 19, 2014, 09:56:20 pm »
Nice to hear the next beta is coming! Looking forward to it Paddles.
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

jeff64

« Reply #1134 on: December 21, 2014, 04:30:18 pm »
Hey paddles.

Thank you for your great work for the community.
I am eagerly waiting for the KittyHawk and the to-be-released Lemoore compatibility.

Do you plan to add MileHighSim Miramar compatibility in an upcoming version ?

Thank you ;)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 08:16:09 pm by jeff64 »

rsgunner

« Reply #1135 on: December 21, 2014, 08:45:31 pm »
Paddles

Any hint of P3D?

Russ
Many may fly and some are rewarded
handsomely, but the wings of gold of a
United States Naval Aviator mean more
than flying. It is dearly bought, requires
sacrifice to keep and represents a way of life.

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #1136 on: December 23, 2014, 10:26:18 am »
Guys,

Your Christmas gift is waiting for you on vLSO blogspot.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 10:28:40 am by Paddles »
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

rsgunner

« Reply #1137 on: December 23, 2014, 04:10:13 pm »
Paddles

P3D support!! Thank you so much.

Have a Merry Christmas.

Russ
Many may fly and some are rewarded
handsomely, but the wings of gold of a
United States Naval Aviator mean more
than flying. It is dearly bought, requires
sacrifice to keep and represents a way of life.

BlaqCloud

« Reply #1138 on: December 23, 2014, 06:29:14 pm »
Thanks for the Xmas gift, but I'm having a lil problemo. Won't allow me to select a tanker.. no aircraft present in drop down menu (while fsx running) .. help please ..
Phil *BlaqCloud* De Bourg - "resistance is futile"

jeff64

« Reply #1139 on: December 23, 2014, 06:46:03 pm »
thank you paddles ;)