Author Topic: Greenie Board Possibilities?  (Read 129319 times)

Letourn

Re: Greenie Board Possibilities?
« Reply #195 on: July 31, 2011, 05:44:03 am »
Wily

(The other screeny shows what pops up when I lower the hook abeam) thats into the Sludge/combat Charlie

nicka117

« Reply #196 on: August 01, 2011, 07:09:29 pm »
Ok, so tested a little this weekend, and as it came natural, flew a bunch of marginal passes.

So I'm still thinking that the line up parameters should be tightened. Forgot the numbers, but let's say that 2.5 degrees left is how it decides "very LUL" but maybe it only says that when you are on or past that point, but maybe 2.5 is really the median of "very LUL" so you're "becoming" that past 2.0 degrees. Should the "zones" be shifted inward? That way 2.5 is in the center of the underlined LUL zone. I flew some passes where I would have been waved off for too much angling (under shoot) and extreme over shoot. I really think early wave-offs for bad starts should be implemented. Figure that's an easy fix by shifting zones inward and adjusting wave off trigger.

Basically, we want this software to act as "human" as possible based on the LSO expected behavior. The above line-up comments take that into account and for human LSO glidesplope calls I would say:

Too many wave-off calls for slightly high ball, and too many LATE wave-off calls for late/settle AR low meatball. Granted, a very high ball all the way should be waved off, but a slightly high ball that will become a bolter is still a "safe" pass.

Now, a very low ball early and not corrected should be waved-off, but a pass that becomes low late should be allowed and be graded as a cut pass. Why, LSO's are very wary of late wave-off calls because if you rotate just before AR, you risk the hook hitting the fantail or having an inflight engagement (the plane rotates, the hook accidentally grabs a wire and slams the plane down). When they see a bad low situation ocurring late, they scream Power, Power, Power, but they don't want you to rotate which moves the hook even lower, which exposes you further.

Just some thoughts, what do the rest of you think?

« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 11:28:23 pm by nicka117 »

nicka117

« Reply #197 on: August 01, 2011, 07:39:24 pm »
Can you change the mission start time in the .FLT file? I wanted to push the Carrier Trails start time closer to noon, but not sure if this is possible. I've changed the .FLT to start with the VFA-143 sludge hornet, and 75% fuel (currently set at 100%).

-CAPT

I also changed the time to day instead of dawn, and went to fx VFA-143. In flight, I dumped fuel to get down to under 33k lbs.

Also, I flew to 600 feet, 1.5 abeam, downwind and saved the flight so i could just start there without launching.

Sometimes I fly the downwind at 700 feet so I can decend slightly in the turn and intercept the 4 degree glideslope. At 600 feet, you have to stay so level in the turn, and this hornet really loses lift if you don't get some power and nose up in the banking turns. Dino's F-14 doesn't fall in the banking as much but I don't know which is more realistic.

Sludge said the hornet sinks on line-up corrections so maybe it does lose a lot of lift in the turns.

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #198 on: August 02, 2011, 10:37:39 pm »
Nicka....

In flight, I dumped fuel to get down to under 33k lbs.

If you feel comfortable doing this, you can change the .FLT text file in the mission folder, to outfit the Hornet from the start with proper fuel amounts. In the aircraft/fuel subsection, keep left/right main=100, then change the center=0, left/right aux=80, all tanks=0, and left/right tip=0. This will be effective for the Sludge. If youre gonna use the CS Delta/Sludge and use two drops (standard), change the left/right aux=50, and youll be set.

You'll be set from the jump, such as what plane youll fly and how much gas you have without having to go to the selection menus. Also, you can change a buncha preconfigured items, such as what lights are active and others settings. Just dont mess with the aircraft position or such mission specific details.

I like your idea about being at 700. Personally, Ill still fly at 600, 1.3 Abeam, ADD SOME POWER, then start my 180 turn keeping A TAD below level, and then make my adjustments at the 90.  Hopefully, the glide needle comes up on-glide about '530-550' at the 90 approx. 1.3 TCN, keeping in my turn while maintaining the glide needle til I get past the 45. Once the lineup (localizer) needle does its "crossing wake at th 45" number, I go 2D HUD (no obstructions) and usually am lining up around 0.8 TCN and in the groove. Then its all standard "Meatball, LineUp, AoA" scan to the ramp, you know the drill.

But its good that you and others have shown other ways to do it. IF your technique gets you to the start in proper position, then its a good thing. We can only get soo much outta FSX before we hit a brick wall and that unchangeable FSX 4.0 glideslope is a real pain-in-the-youknowwhat.

Later
Sludge

nicka117

« Reply #199 on: August 02, 2011, 11:13:40 pm »
Sludge, thanks for the tips, will work on it.

1.3 is a tight pattern, very aggressive. Harder that way but more fun...especially when you roll out right in the groove.

GOONIE

« Reply #200 on: August 03, 2011, 03:12:44 am »
Serge,

Been flying the alpha vLSO, here are my initial inputs, ignore the ones you are planning to add to the beta or release versions. I decided to break them down by the vLSO and by the companion mission.

vLSO

Overall I feel it is working well, the lateral debrief seems suspect, but could be a result of the lateral corrections you have to perform as the slanted landing area continues to move away. The debrief lateral track looks like small sine waves, always to left of course, but I am flying on course.

Also the moderate LSO calls is not working, probably an alpha version thing. One idea I had was to have a trigger or button in FSX that acts as a cue for calling the ball. This would replace the vLSO saying call the ball, which is not natops for case 1. Once you see the ball in fsx press some TBD button, call your side number, ac, fuel state, and the program would recognize the trigger and respond roger ball. If you didn't make the call inside .6 miles you would get a wave off, or we could have a Clara call, but that is probably overkill. Anyways just thought it is more realistic to see the ball and the make the call, not wait for the auto trigger.

As said earlier the lateral tolerances could be made much tighter. Also tighter glideslope tolerances and time in groove could affect grading. On Speed grading seems to be working well and is tough. Maybe have two levels of scoring, nugget and CAG.

More grades, like OK, cut, and even an _OK_, of course it should be near impossible to get

The others are ideas for later additions and cosmetics:
-option for t-45c
-option for FCLP
-option for CAse 3 approach, with approach calls,
-color in LSO grade book for score, think you showed this in an earlier version (might be later for greenie board)
-zoomed out debrief, gods eye view, to see pattern performance
-larger font for LSO grade and score, if it could also look hand written that would be cool (I know I am pushing it)
-add carrier profiles to debrief windows, see my earlier post for pics

Mission
- add LSO, plat, air boss cams
- mission 2 does not work, I continue to get waved off but I am on and on.
- an FCLP mission or a T-45 mission would be cool
- is it possible to add any support ships, usually a ship is several miles behind the carrier on guard
- Alternate LSO calls, looks like you are preparing for this based on sound files.

Thanks again, the alpha version is already a huge succes IMHO, really enjoy it!
Capt

« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 03:08:37 pm by capthaltli »
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

wilycoyote4

« Reply #201 on: August 03, 2011, 09:58:19 pm »
"- add LSO, plat, air boss cams"

great idea, a pryfly "flyby" view as well as for the LSO would be marvels.

this is only vLSO 0.1a
it is likely to go through many changes and alpha releases, in my little opinion.

Johan

« Reply #202 on: August 03, 2011, 10:15:59 pm »
My lateral debrief shows a curve way to the left of the carrier, even when I make a point coming from the far right.

Johan

wilycoyote4

« Reply #203 on: August 03, 2011, 10:28:02 pm »
My lateral debrief shows a curve way to the left of the carrier, even when I make a point coming from the far right.

Johan
I think the same for me.

nicka117

« Reply #204 on: August 04, 2011, 12:31:58 am »
definitely would love to get the air boss, PLAT, LSO cams

StraitDJ

« Reply #205 on: August 04, 2011, 03:25:39 am »

Johan
It is likely due to the combination of having both a moving AND angled deck.
Stabilizing slightly left is a natural tendency, performing a  constant slip to the right is not...

davido53

« Reply #206 on: August 11, 2011, 07:33:04 pm »
So do we start vLSO first or FSX first?

wonderful program  by the way!!!

Johan

« Reply #207 on: August 11, 2011, 07:36:04 pm »
So do we start vLSO first or FSX first?

wonderful program  by the way!!!

I usually start FSX first and then add vLSO. I agree, wonderful program.

Johan

davido53

« Reply #208 on: August 11, 2011, 07:56:23 pm »
I was doing it backward...

must be why I was getting screen messages but no voice...

tks!

GOONIE

« Reply #209 on: August 11, 2011, 08:10:23 pm »
Two more inputs Serge:

-Keep tracking lateral and vertical paths for debrief windows for a wave off. Would be nice to see wave off performance in debrief, currently path stops tracking on w/o.

-Not a fan of the computer voice LSO calls, little fast, little slow, others. I will see if I can find some audio clips, or if you have some to replace the computer voice calls, I think it would be better.

-Capt

« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 12:35:51 am by capthaltli »
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."