Author Topic: PLAT Camera Questionnaire  (Read 11995 times)

Orion

PLAT Camera Questionnaire
« on: June 14, 2010, 04:19:32 am »
Hey everyone,

I was just wondering some of the statistics on the usage of the PLAT Camera gauge in my mission.  If you have a moment and don't mind, reply with your answers to the following set of questions.

Thanks for your input :),

Orion

1. Have you installed the PLAT Camera gauge?
 1a. If not, why not?
 1b. Have you had any installation trouble?
2. Do/would you use the PLAT camera gauge in my mission to be LSO, watch people from the view, or both?
3. If you're LSO, would you appreciate AND use the additional data (e.g. ambient wind speed, aircraft speed, aircraft distance to carrier (feet)) if they were available?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 04:37:58 am by Orion »

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
Re: PLAT Camera Questionnaire
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 04:28:06 am »
Orion...

This will be very easy.

1.  YES.
2.  Be the LSO (w/grades), and to watch others land.
3.  Definately.  If it were similar to JR's Refueling Gauge, where we could select specific player data, that would rock.  Along with some other ship's information.  Possibly what the Wind-over-Deck (natural FSX wind+Ship's speed) is, would help.

Later
Sludge

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 05:46:08 am »
Orion, second what SLUDGE says. Have not installed the PLAT yet though intend to do so soon. Things a bit muddled here with disk crash, possible new computer and for a few days only dialup internet speed....

My plan would be to make FSX videos using the PLAT view in a Window along with pilot or other views of carrier landings. That would be some weeks away though. See above.  ;D  Aircraft distance to T/D ramp would be great - perhaps 'yards' would be a good scale? Even tenths or even quarters of a nautical mile scale would give some idea of distance.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 05:48:21 am by SpazSinbad »
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

GOONIE

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 03:04:55 pm »
1.  Affirmative
2.  Affirmative, have used the PLAT cam view to watch MP sessions, and act as LSO (briefly)
3.  All of this information would be extremely useful. (if Foul and Clear deck indications could be added to the PLAT cam, that would be great too, but I imagine this is pretty tricky)

While on the subject, is there a way to add the PLAT Cam view to any carrier in FSX, or does it only work with your mission? I was not sure if you could add this view to other missions without using the SDK. I fly a lot when not on MP using the old TopGun Sim mission (with the auto LSO calls, I've reworked all the sounds files with real world LSO calls) and would like to have the PLAT cam view if possible.

Thought I would share my latest F/A-18 pit, having fun with the new setup.

"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 03:33:15 pm »
capthaltli, BLOODY HELL!  ;D :D ;) :) 8) ::) :o :-*  That is serious stuff. May I ask how large is that screen pixel wise? I'm looking at changing from a cathode setup to one of these new fangled LCD jobs. I'll keep the trusty wonky Sidewinder stick though.  :-\
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

GOONIE

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 03:51:08 pm »
Spaz, thanks  ;D

The screen is Dell's 30" UltraSharp 3007WFP, and runs at a resolution of 2560 x 1600, which is nice. Would like to get a projector setup in the future.

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 04:21:03 pm »
...using the old TopGun Sim mission (with the auto LSO calls, I've reworked all the sounds files with real world LSO calls)...

Any chance to try these sounds?..  ;)
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

GOONIE

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 05:30:25 pm »
FSXNavypilot,

Definitely,  I will work on getting the files uploaded to avsim to share with the group.  ;)

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 03:07:29 am »
CAPT...

Geez man, what a setup!  I wouldnt even leave the house, maybe just for work, and thats about it.  The projector would be cool.

Later
Sludge

Paco

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 11:23:39 pm »
Orion,

1. Yes, I installed your setup, no problems, works great.

2. I used your PLAT guage for LSO calls and to just watch.  Works great.  I can fly the tanker, watch from the LSO stand and undock the PLAT guage.

3. I personally wouldn't use any additional information.

/r,
Paco

Orion

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 01:53:29 am »
Thanks for your input Sludge, Capt and Brian.  Still open for anyone else to reply/comment ;).

sonofabeech

• sonofabeech is in the slot
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 11:59:55 am »
CAPT...

Geez man, what a setup!  I wouldnt even leave the house, maybe just for work, and thats about it.  The projector would be cool.

Later
Sludge

Good grief now thats a setup ...hows that desk in the pattern? ..must be a bit difficult to control at low airspeeds :)

@ Orion 

To answer your questionaire:
1. yes
2. both
3. yes
4. pitching deck would be great thanks for offering :)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 12:06:33 pm by sonofabeech »
Simon"Sonofa"Beech
If you have use full afterburner to taxi to your parking spot it means that you landed with your gear up!!

GOONIE

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 02:53:01 pm »

Good grief now thats a setup ...hows that desk in the pattern? ..must be a bit difficult to control at low airspeeds :)

You would be suprised, the desk has a high coefficient of lift with great lift/drag ratios.... the picture just doesn't show off its camber well  ;D

Back to flying "the desk"
CAPT

sonofabeech

• sonofabeech is in the slot
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 01:19:04 am »
 ;D ...... airboss: "Theres a WHAT??!!! on finals :o
Simon"Sonofa"Beech
If you have use full afterburner to taxi to your parking spot it means that you landed with your gear up!!

Johan

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 07:20:16 pm »

While on the subject, is there a way to add the PLAT Cam view to any carrier in FSX, or does it only work with your mission? I was not sure if you could add this view to other missions without using the SDK. I fly a lot when not on MP using the old TopGun Sim mission (with the auto LSO calls, I've reworked all the sounds files with real world LSO calls) and would like to have the PLAT cam view if possible.

Thought I would share my latest F/A-18 pit, having fun with the new setup.

Capt...,

I was wondering if you ever got a response on your question above. I am also interested in installing a PLAT (or a tower) camera on any moving carrier in FSX and I don't know which file to edit. I would appreciate a method if you have one.
Thanks,

Johan