Author Topic: COUATL Crashing mid flight - Every flight  (Read 1414 times)

airbumps

COUATL Crashing mid flight - Every flight
« on: March 13, 2024, 10:13:43 am »
Hi All,

Last half dozen flights I've had GSX working perfectly on departure but when I approach my destination I've noticed that COUATL has crashed. Its happening with both the Fenix and PMDG and so far has happened at six different airport combinations across the USA.

I've turned on logging and attached two COUATL Log files.

Umberto, is there anything in these these log files that points to why this might be happening?

Cheers

Sansemiano

Re: COUATL Crashing mid flight - Every flight
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2024, 09:10:57 pm »
Same experience.

Gerwil

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2024, 11:43:42 am »
Just enable the W8 compatibility modus for Coatl again. Is Coatl outdated software, I wonder? I just found a web diiscussion about it dating: April 2010.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 12:10:06 pm by Gerwil »

wizznet

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2024, 12:15:31 pm »
Same here, and this is a new bug. Has never happened before.

FerrevmVnion

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2024, 03:29:43 pm »
Same here .... 8/10 flights gsx has not survived the flight (dont know if it dies on takeoff, landing or whenever... :;)

DFWSupertrooper

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2024, 05:15:32 pm »
Happening to me too. Every flight. I land and I cannot select the gate without restarting COUATL and going through a whole lotta mess and waiting for it. It started immediately after the last 3/11 update.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 02:36:30 pm by DFWSupertrooper »

Brittanix

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2024, 11:08:17 pm »
Same here. 9/10 flights Coautl crashes sometime after take off and has to manually be restarted upon arrival.

Brittanix

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2024, 12:55:59 pm »
Just set the mentioned Windows 8 compatibility and on first test seems to have done the trick.

Artox67

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2024, 01:56:50 pm »
Same here. Crash short after Take Off

Faulting application name: couatl64_MSFS.exe, version: 4.8.0.5390, time stamp: 0x65ef1a93
Faulting module name: clr.dll, version: 4.8.9181.0, time stamp: 0x64b85478
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000a88ac
Faulting process id: 0x0x19EC
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1DA784FE93112E5
Faulting application path: e:\Programme\Addon Manager\couatl64\couatl64_MSFS.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\clr.dll
Report Id: 1a229602-ca65-4f5e-814c-35ba59edb45a
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

DFWSupertrooper

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2024, 04:15:31 pm »
Just set the mentioned Windows 8 compatibility and on first test seems to have done the trick.

Is this a valid and proven workaround (can we get validation by FSDT perhaps if there is not a fix for this coming?)? And, can you by chance remind me how this is accomplished (if so)? Been a while since I had to fool with that kinda stuff in Windows. Thanks!

Brittanix

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2024, 06:36:30 pm »

Is this a valid and proven workaround (can we get validation by FSDT perhaps if there is not a fix for this coming?)? And, can you by chance remind me how this is accomplished (if so)? Been a while since I had to fool with that kinda stuff in Windows. Thanks!

Find the location of the Couatl application (in my case it's Couatl64_MSFS.exe). It's in your FSDT Addon Manager folder. Right click "properties" and set Windows 8 under the "Compatibility" register (see screenshot).
Just doing a second flight now and will report back if it's still working.

UPDATE: Second flight also worked with the Win8 fix.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 09:19:19 pm by Brittanix »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2024, 10:17:39 pm »

The validated fix was PRECISELY to DISABLE Windows 8 Compatibility mode, as indicated in the release notes of the latest update.

We enabled it months ago, because some users reported it worked better without it but, recently, there was an inexplicable crash that we could reproduce (after many tries), when selecting a service on a gate, with the program just shutting down with no errors.

After lots of test, it was confirmed on multiple system that, Disabling the Windows 8 Compatibility test completely fixed this crash, and we were unable to reproduce it afterwards, no matter how hard we tried, so we decided to remove the Windows 8 Compatibility flag, also because I assure the program is compiled with the native Windows 10/11 SDK and it's always updated with each Windows SDK update so, there's no reason why it should require Windows 8 Compatibility flag.

OF COURSE, as with anything related to Windows and MSFS, there might be so many other products running at the same time, and any of these might need some older version of the Windows runtimes, and it's known that, when two programs try to use different versions of the runtimes and are running together, there might be issues.

So, if the Windows 8 Compatibility flag works best for you, just enable it. We surely never designed the program to run with it (is not even clear on any Windows documentation what it really does), and it's sure that, after so many test, on all system WE could try, it's far more stable without it but, again, every system is different especially when so many add-ons run together all at the same time.

FerrevmVnion

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2024, 11:08:47 pm »
So will try to enable Windows 8 Mode .... thats weired, but if it helps ... lets go back to the good old times :P Better than a crashing GSX on each flight

Sansemiano

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2024, 11:55:10 pm »
Maybe Fenix2GSX plays a role in this?

nobleord

• Noble Air - ORD Hub
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2024, 04:12:07 am »
Maybe Fenix2GSX plays a role in this?

I had this the other day with 2.9.5, where COUATL / GSX menu was not working at the arrival airport for the first time.  I was in the PMDG 737-700 and do not have anything Fenix installed.