Author Topic: Microsoft GAVE US PERMISSION!!!  (Read 71018 times)

wilycoyote4

Re: Microsoft GAVE US PERMISSION!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 08:35:21 pm »
take your time, can't be done overnight or some such

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 09:20:26 pm »
JR...

If thats true, and there is no way to decompile the model files, I may just have to ask Microsoft for them?  Ill do it, obviously, but only after we have expended all possible options before then.

Later
Sludge

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 10:15:43 pm »
If FSDreamteam cannot provide the source for the model, they will be the only one who can modify it - mdl files cannot be decompiled.

That's not entirely true:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=ModelConverterX

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 10:30:47 pm »
Thanks Virtuali...

Just what we need.  I gotta run to sim, and actually do some work, but should be around tonite.  Gotta get that Tanker out to everyone.

Later
Sludge

neutrino

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 10:40:50 pm »
If FSDreamteam cannot provide the source for the model, they will be the only one who can modify it - mdl files cannot be decompiled.

That's not entirely true:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=ModelConverterX
Thanks virtuali, I obviously didn't do my homework ::)

Razgriz

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2010, 11:27:22 pm »

SUBS17

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2010, 12:28:46 am »
So if you can modify the 3dmodel then maybe you could put external weapons etc on it.

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2010, 07:57:07 am »
A few of the guys on our team have figured something out in terms of decompiling.  Check out the attached pic (notice the missile rails).  He said give him a holler at shylock@fsxblueangels.com.  He should be able to help you out.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x34/justheman99/2010-5-12_17-56-51-750.jpg
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 10:19:23 am by virtuali »

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2010, 04:41:30 pm »
Jimi...

Much thanks.  Will give Shylock a holler.  Thats one of the main things I (we) need to get started w/a collimated HUD, is a decompiled aircraft model because Scott Printz will do some eye point calculations to set the default eyepoint based on real world pictures.  Also, what I understand he will work on attaching the HUD (ala the aerosoft F-16 HUD) to the model (hence the need for the model to be decompiled into workable code) at a point where the it will maintain collimation.

Thats the "dumbed" down, short version of how we will work to get HUD collimation.  Right now, I have a request from Scott, for all the forum members:

"1) I WOULD LOVE for there to somehow be a gathering up and sending of as many REAL Hornet pictures as we collectively have. Not in-game screenshots. Sorry to not specify.  Especially useful to me would be:
  a) any pics of the cockpit, w/ the HUD glass visible. (Even w/out HUD symbology is great!)
  b) *Especially*, outside, profile views of the A or C model Hornet's cockpit, pics directly left or right of the cockpit, from the outside, pilot present or not, and with BOTH the HUD glass / assembly AND the area near where the pilot's head would be, all visible at once."

If you are willing to help with this, send all your pictures to saprintz@gmail.com, so he can archive and use these for reference materials.

BTW, last nite, I sent in the KC-135T Navy Drogue compilation into avsim.com and flightsim.com for wide release.

Thanks
Sludge

GOONIE

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2010, 05:37:28 pm »
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 06:02:09 pm by virtuali »
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2010, 05:43:21 pm »
Capt...

Thanks for delivering IN SPADES!!  Those are amazing pictures and just what Scott is asking for...!!

Might have find a way to get Scott in contact with your buddy?!  Heck, if he's OK with it, I would like to get in contact with him about some realism points.  What carrier is he on, BTW?

Later
Sludge

mangold

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2010, 07:37:45 pm »
Guten Tag Sludge Christian.
Microsoft Einwilligung - Hochachtung !
Habe die bisherigen HUD Verbesserungen schon bewundert.
Jetzt bin ich gespannt was noch kommt.
Viel Erfolg,
Guenter

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2010, 08:11:10 pm »
...Check out the attached pic (notice the missile rails)...

jimi08
That would be awesome, 'cause I still have to paint these faked rails on my skins...  ;D
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

saprintz

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2010, 08:54:49 pm »
Sludge,

Hey it’s Capt. I wanted to send you some HUD pics as you requested on the forum. These are from my buddy from high school who currently is flying the super hornet for the royal maces. Hope some of these work.

<pics snipped out>

OK this last one is from FSX  ;)

Wow, that's very helpful. Thanks for taking the time! The last one is especially impressive (heheh).

So, I know that we're all busy people, and just so that no one is wasting their time, I'll try to share exactly what I'll ultimately need.

A little conceptual background first: as you can perceive from things like properly collimated FSX HUD's, or from that nice Spanish Air Force vid link that Sludge posted, or from other sources, the HUD symbology is best viewed (and only even completely visible) when the pilot's eyes are in a certain place in the cockpit. This ideal, 3-dimensional viewing area that we want the pilots eyes to be within is usually referred to as the "eyebox." For the A and C Hornets, my educated guess is that its eyebox is something like a shoebox in shape, but probably only around 5" on its longest side. I don't know precisely.

Nailing down the distance between 1) the center of that eyebox, and 2) the HUD glass that the symbology is displayed upon, is important.  (+/- is fine; we don't need it THAT precisely.) And the glass is a bit slanted, too, so let's say we're talking about the theoretically best point on the HUD glass for the waterline to overlay, the position on it that would give a "best," full, centered view of all the nice green squiggly stuff. (This area on the glass is a bit below center, IIRC.)

Oh, and the dimensions of the real HUD glass would be nice too. I swear I have those somewhere, but can't find 'em right now.

So, what would really save some time, and could avoid a lot of back-and-forth, semi-guesswork between me, the model editor, and whomever is testing, is to know some of these things about the real aircraft in a little more detail. Again, plus or minus. (And I did try, but couldn't find anything in the NATOPS I have.) Anyone who might have insight into that, it would be great if you could send it to me at the e-mail address that Sludge gave up above!

That's what I need for the *REAL* aircraft.

For the FSX *MODEL*, we need the in-sim corollaries to the above. This would be the distance between the model's default eyepoint (0,0,0) and the model's HUD glass surface. And I mean the visually depicted surface, regardless of what the HUD gauge is actually displayed on. Also, less important, but nice, would be to have the model's HUD glass dimensions. (Again, the visual depiction of the glass is what's important.)

I guess only FSDreamTeam has that model data?

That's it, really. Having some of that info would speed some things up. And if we can't get it, then I'll do my best to try to deduce it from what we DO have. But all of that is the basis of the request for really good pics of the real cockpit. Profile pics, from the seat and up to the front of the glass, are especially helpful.

Oh, and BTW, some of this may sound like unnecessarily trivial detail, but I promise it's not!

Thanks all,
Scott

P.S. -- now that collimation is in play, I must make some pretty fundamental modifications to the gauge itself. But... no problem! I have ways to do this pretty quickly. But even if it takes a week longer, I think you'll all like the difference you're going to see. ;-)

skimmer

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2010, 01:00:22 am »
Congrats Sludge. Thats a big step to accomplish.I have always loved flying the F-18 and with all the mods that have been made and posted here it's even better . And now with this permission I gotta feeling you guys are gonna top the bug. ;D Thanks for all the fun.