Author Topic: GSX Conflict with Northern Sky Studios PAJN (Juneau)  (Read 1067 times)

Stearmandriver

GSX Conflict with Northern Sky Studios PAJN (Juneau)
« on: January 17, 2023, 04:34:05 am »
Hello,

I'm trying to fix an odd problem on my system.  In MSFS 2020, flying into the NSS PAJN scenery, I get severe stutters from about the runway threshold all the way to the gate.  They continue after parking.  We're talking full half second or longer lag spikes, every few seconds, really severe stutters.

After testing, I've narrowed it down to only happening when GSX is enabled.  I added an exclusion for the PAJN jetways, and that seemed to help in the sense that the stutters now occur after landing when taxiing to the gate (so, when nearer the terminal / ramp area.)  The scenery is completely smooth all the way to the gate when GSX is unlinked and everything else is the same.

So this is definitely a conflict between GSX and this scenery.  I'm wondering if A. anyone else with this scenery has seen this, and B. if anyone might have any ideas why it's happening?

It should not be systems resource related: I'm running an i9 9900k at 5.0ghz, an RTX 3070, and 64gb DDR4.  Not bleeding edge, but certainly good enough to push to my 1080p monitor.  I've never seen stutters like this anywhere else (I hardly ever see a stutter period), even in much larger and denser scenery areas. 

I'm not saying there's necessarily anything wrong with either this scenery (I fly to Juneau in reality often and this dev has done the best job with that airport that I've ever seen in the sim) or with GSX (which I've been enjoying a lot after the last couple updates.)  They just don't play well together and I'd like to try to figure it out.

Thanks!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX Conflict with Northern Sky Studios PAJN (Juneau)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2023, 10:21:06 am »
Already replied here:

https://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,29004.msg188845.html#msg188845

However, it would be interesting to know if this happens only there.

Stearmandriver

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2023, 11:12:45 pm »
Hey, thanks for the reply.

Yes, for me this stuttering happens only in the NSS Juneau.  I've never seen anything like it anywhere else, not flying into JFK or ORD etc. during Vatsim events, or anything.  It is specific to this scenery, and Juneau has a whopping 5 jetways. 

So, it seems like this scanning wouldn't be the answer.  Otherwise, wouldn't it happen in the default Juneau too (and every other airport?). To reiterate, this isn't an occasionally little stutter, this is really severe slideshow (not hyperbole but literally) performance, only at this one airport, and only with GSX enabled.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2023, 05:57:12 pm »
So, it seems like this scanning wouldn't be the answer.  Otherwise, wouldn't it happen in the default Juneau too (and every other airport?).

No, it wouldn't be the same with the default. If the add-on airport has way more Simobjects than the default, there will be much more to check in order to find jetways.

Again, it really depends how the scenery was made, some might have lots of Library objects and few Simobjects, others might have lots of Simobjects ( more heavy on fps, but required for custom animations ), which will have to be scanned by GSX to find any jetways.

Stearmandriver

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2023, 02:37:45 am »
Interesting.  To follow up on this, wouldn't this scanning procedure eventually end?  It seems not to; once the severe stutters start, they just seem to persist.

I can report that things were further improved by disabling GSX ground services as well as jetways.  Still some stuttering that isn't present with GSX unlinked though.

DrVenkman

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2023, 03:13:22 am »
Interesting that there's an issue with a Northern Sky airport. I have a (maybe related?) issue at Northern Sky's PAKT, Ketchikan.

If I use GSX with no profile, with or without the "Use SU10 Navdata" option set, I get the error that no valid AFCAD data is found and service are unavailable. Fortunately, there is a custom profile for this airport available on Flightsim.to. However, to use that profile, I have to make sure "Use SU10 Navdata" is left unchecked. That, in turn, means ideally I need to have custom profiles for any other airport I fly to or from this airport.

I wonder if there's something simple this developer can or should do to ensure compatibility with GSX?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2023, 10:28:16 pm »
Fortunately, there is a custom profile for this airport available on Flightsim.to. However, to use that profile, I have to make sure "Use SU10 Navdata" is left unchecked.

Please clarify if the scenery is bought from the MS Marketplace.

Stearmandriver

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2023, 12:54:45 am »
Fortunately, there is a custom profile for this airport available on Flightsim.to. However, to use that profile, I have to make sure "Use SU10 Navdata" is left unchecked.

Please clarify if the scenery is bought from the MS Marketplace.

The PAJN scenery is purchased through ORBX.  Unsure about the PAKT scenery that Venkman has issues with.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2023, 01:01:05 am »
- If a scenery is bought from the Marketplace, it will ONLY work with the SU10 Navdata and, if you have a GSX profile made *before* GSX could use Navdata, using data from the default airport but positioned where the add-on airport parkings are, you must remove it, because GSX will now use the proper data from the Navdata API.

- If a scenery is not bought on the Marketplace, you CAN use it with the Navdata Disabled but, in this case, you need to be sure GSX is reading the correct .BGL for it. If the correct .BGL has been loaded, then the custom profile that references the default airport will be ignored. If, instead, the .BGL that comes with the scenery hasn't been loaded, there might be other reasons for it, like the airport file too big, so it was discarded by GSX.

However, everything related to the right/wrong .BGL is completely irrelevant when the Navdata option is Enabled. If GSX is not getting the right data when Navdata is Enabled, either there's another scenery in conflict ( so GSX read the wrong ICAO, this can be verified by checking its name in the GSX menu when it opens ) or, if the ICAO is correct and you still not getting the right data, the only possible explanation left, the scenery must have something wrong, so the Navdata returns wrong data, and GSX will be obviously confused by it.