Author Topic: 'Left is clear, right is clear' too early?  (Read 692 times)

Flying Dutchman

'Left is clear, right is clear' too early?
« on: December 10, 2022, 12:24:13 pm »
I read an earlier post on this subject, but no comment from FSDT side as far as I can see.

I hear 'left is clear, right is clear'. That's obvious. After that, the wingwalker disconnects it's headset and walks to a point in front of the aircraft. At that position he makes the arm gestures, indicating that left is clear and right is clear. Does he do this twice? Or does the sound actually belongs to the last position? But in that case I cannot hear the phrases, because the headset has been disconnected. Maybe the playing of the phrases should be omitted?

Hans Hartvelt
The Netherlands

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: 'Left is clear, right is clear' too early?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2022, 11:11:55 pm »
At that position he makes the arm gestures, indicating that left is clear and right is clear. Does he do this twice?

Those gestures are not to indicate the airplane is clear. They are meant to show you the bypass pin has been removed, so you got full NWS authority now. The issue is, on FSX/P3D there's no visible bypass pin like we have in MSFS, so the gesture might not be as clear as it is in MSFS.

Flying Dutchman

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2022, 04:32:50 pm »
Umberto, thank you for replying. But IMHO, it doesn't make sense.

This is what's happening:
Captain: We have a good engine start, you can disconnect.
Wingwalker (or push-back operator?): Unlocking gear.
Push-back truck drives back, Wingwalker walks out of sight, probably to a position under the aircraft.
Wingwalker: Tow truck disconnected, bypass-pin removed, left is clear, right is clear.
Wingwalker comes in sight again and walks to a position in front of the aircraft.
Raises his right hand and subsequently raises his right hand again in combination with moving his left underarm to his left leg.
Text: Have a good trip.
Wing walker walks to the push-back truck, embarks it and the push-back truck leaves the scene.

So, when the wingwalker makes his arm signals, he has already said that the bypass-pin has been removed and that left is clear and right is clear. It doesn't make sense to repeat that from another position with arm signals.

This is what the manual says about these arm signals. This signal provides an indication by a person positioned at the aircraft wing tip to the pilot / marshaller / push-back operator that the aircraft movement on/off a parking position would be unobstructed.

So, the manual doesn't mention the removement of the bypass-pin, but does mention left is clear and right is clear. IMHO, this is done twice. Once by voice under the aircraft and once by arm signals in front of the aircraft. The manual also speaks about a position near the wing tip, but actually the position is not near the wing tip, but in front of the aircraft.

Speaking about the wingwalker. When still at the gate, the wingwalker disembarks from the push-back truck and teleports himself to a position under the aircraft. After that he teleports himself back to the pushback truck and lifts with the push-back truck towards the aircraft.

Another strange thing happens when the wingwalker walks toward the push-back truck after the arm signals. He walks right through the push-back truck before embarking the push-back truck.

To me, it seems that this whole procedure needs some improvement.

Hans Hartvelt
The Netherlands

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2022, 06:40:32 pm »
Hans, as far as the bypass pin is concerned, I assume the signal is for visual confirmation for the pilots that it has been removed. Whether the pilots require verbal confirmation, I have no idea, but they do need a visual confirmation from what I understand.
Captain Kevin