Author Topic: When I try to create Walk-in gates, Couatl crashes...  (Read 8424 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: When I try to create Walk-in gates, Couatl crashes...
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2022, 01:52:56 am »
Ok So coualti doesnt crash like it did before i got the pax folder but now it just disappears from the drop down menu

What, exactly, crashes ? The installer, the updater, or GSX itself.

Doing what ? When customizing a gate ? When using GSX ? If using GSX, when, exactly ?

DarrianCZE

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2022, 09:26:13 am »
So, after updating through the beta installer you have provided, I now have the PAX barriers and was able to create their path. But now, when I want to try it out, when I click on Operate Stairs (during normal GSX operation), it crashes again... Entire log is in the attachment...

SystemError: error return without exception set
{'Airport': 'LKTB', 'Requested assistance services at': 'Gate M 1', 'Requested parking services to': 'Gate M 1', 'User Pos': (49.1540156727517, 16.689475649733136, 239.597 m, 2.46289 m, 189.46107915494207, 0.014963814057409763, 0.011344640515744686, -0.0, 2.5511759651184085, 1.0)}
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 22, in OnIdle
  File ".\common\fsm.py", line 73, in executeDoFuncToCompletion
  File ".\GSX\assistanceServices\passengerStairs.py", line 241, in do
  File ".\GSX\assistanceServices\passengerStairs.py", line 58, in setStairsVars
SystemError: error return without exception set
createCamera() PassengerStairsRear Behind
createCamera() PassengerStairsRear Front
createCamera() PassengerStairsRear Right
createCamera() PassengerStairsRear Left
createCamera() PassengerStairsRear Driver 1st Person
createCamera() PassengerStairsRear Driver Close-up
Total payload:28615 lbs.

Sorry Umberto, but this update is a mess...

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2022, 11:55:18 am »
The current Live Update should fix your crash when selecting Operate Stairs.

DarrianCZE

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2022, 12:44:03 pm »
Hah... ok.... another issue. Everything was working correctly, and I have set to board the entire 737-800 (189 people) and P3Dv5 did not handle it, and ran out of VRAM :D I think this needs some optimization.

I have RTX 3070Ti with 8GB VRAM

https://i.imgur.com/64PwCFZ.png
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 02:35:41 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2022, 12:56:25 pm »
Hah... ok.... another issue. Everything was working correctly, and I have set to board the entire 737-800 (189 people) and P3Dv5 did not handle it, and ran out of VRAM :D I think this needs some optimization.

If you were already on the borderline of VRAM exhaustion, it's possible the added objects/textures of the visible passenger barriers might just be enough to cause a crash due to VRAM exhaustion.

This of course is not GSX's fault or something we could "fix", the point is you shouldn't place yourself in a situation which you are so close to exhaustion that just a few new extra objects couldn't fit in VRAM anymore.

What you can do from GSX's side, is not use a too high Passenger Density slider setting, which will lessen the VRAM requirements.

Or, you can use the option to Disable the visible Barriers at Walk-in gates: the Passengers will still use the path, but no extra objects will be added compared to the previous version, it will be just the passengers, which hasn't been changed.

DarrianCZE

« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2022, 01:28:31 pm »
And what will exactly the passenger density do, in this case? Extend the queue of the passengers over the longer distance?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 01:31:06 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2022, 01:40:05 pm »
And what will exactly the passenger density do, in this case? Extend the queue of the passengers over the longer distance?

There will be less passengers visible on screen at the same time, because the time between each generated passenger will be longer, which also means Boarding/Deboarding will take more time.

Of course, this is explained in the GSX manual, Page 27:

it’s possible to control the passenger Density, which will affect the number of animated passengers visible on screen at any given time. Setting the slider towards the highest density settings will shorten boarding and deboarding times, but with some cost in performances. Also, on 32 bit simulators ( FSX and P3D 1/2/3 ), there’s a risk that too many passengers visible at the same time might exhaust the limited memory available in 32 bit mode, especially when using GSX with complex airplanes and airport scenery. We suggest to start with the lowest density settings, and eventually rise them up if you are sure there’s enough memory available.

On a 64 bit simulator, like P3D4, the highest passenger density settings won’t risk memory exhaustion, so the GPU will probably be the only factor affecting performances.

This was written before P3D V5, because in V4 and DirectX 11, exhausting VRAM would usually just cause an fps drop, more likely because memory handling in DirectX 11 is made in the video driver itself, which is an highly optimized/tested code written by those who made the video card.

Instead, in DirectX 12, lots of memory handling responsibility is given to the application developer ( LM in this case ), which means if their memory handling code is not as robusts in dealing with VRAM exhaustion as nVidia/AMD code is, when you are close to VRAM exhaustion, the sim will usually crash.

That's the cost of getting usually better performances compared to DX11. DX12 is very unstable in MSFS 2020 too, but unfortunately in P3D V5 you don't have a choice to revert to DX11. 

This is nothing new, it's very well know since P3D V5 came out, you must be more careful about VRAM exhaustion and keep your settings reasonable to not risk it.

bozza72

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2022, 02:52:22 pm »
So this video might explain my ongoing problem, https://youtu.be/-jLOPd9JeXM
When i try and use walk to gate gsx crashes couoti crashes and it disappears from the menu bar. before i got a pop up saying couati had crashed and do i want to see the log, now that does not happen. what is not shown in the video is that i select f12, then select stiars and that's when gsx and couati stop working an di have to reboot my sim

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2022, 03:07:55 pm »
i select f12, then select stiars and that's when gsx and couati stop working an di have to reboot my sim

As already discussed here:
http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,25938.msg170204.html#msg170204

and here:
http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,25933.msg170186.html#msg170186

The GSX disappearing when operating Stairs should be fixed now, try updating and see if it works for you.

bozza72

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2022, 03:28:24 pm »
Yes i read that and updated before i did that video. So the update did not work for me

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2022, 03:30:12 pm »
Yes i read that and updated before i did that video. So the update did not work for me

Before the update, I could replicate the crash with the Operate Stairs, after the update, I couldn't so, be sure you update again, maybe you haven't got the latest files.

bozza72

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2022, 03:43:12 pm »
Ok updating again now using the new updater

bozza72

« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2022, 04:08:07 pm »
Still happens, I hit f12 if i select stairs couati/gsx disappears from the menu. i tried asking for de boarding and same thing happens.
where will i find my logging file to attach here ??

Edit/update Ok after updating again rebooting pc and sim again and again its finally working
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 04:30:47 pm by bozza72 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2022, 04:31:29 pm »
Edit/update Ok after updating again rebooting pc and sim again and again its finally working

I was quite sure of that, likely you were not getting the latest update from a few hours ago.

bozza72

« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2022, 04:44:35 pm »
Ok spoke too soon stairs bug is still present. last time i used de boarding  & boarding and it worked, i just asked for just stairs and it crashed again.