Author Topic: GSX crashing sim, then stops working **SOLVED, not a GSX problem**  (Read 1359 times)

BrownieGnome

Hi there.
I need some help with GSX after having several issues with it. A week ago I installed the IVAO p3d client, after my GSX would crash my p3d every time I launched the window, I uninstalled the IVAO client. After 4 full reinstalls of GSX, and p3d client reinstall, GSX does not want to launch any further than placing the cones around the aircraft when using CTRL + SHIFT + F12. Also when trying to Disable GSX in the addons menu, GSX won't show up anymore, only does it after Live Update but the problem repeats. I need some help and ideas from you guys, I'm currently on 5.3 hf2, but the problems begun while I still had 5.3 hf1.
Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 10:19:35 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX crashing sim, then stops working
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 04:08:37 pm »
The problem of the menu has been discussed so many times on the forum, for example here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,25824.0.html

or here:
http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,25854.0.html

It doesn't have anything to do with GSX, it was a bug of the 5.3 release, in which the Simconnect menu crashed the sim ( GSX cannot crash the sim, the Simconnect menu can ), and could happen even with no addons installed, using the default ATC window.

This has been confirmed by LM to be a bug in the Html5 menu system, and the solution has always been reverting to the old Scaleform menu, which fixed all crashes.

However, the problem should have been fixed with the 5.3 HF2, because LM confirmed they found the problem to be caused by an updated version of the Html5 runtime, and reverting it to a previous version AND adding some extra checks to prevent crashes SHOULD have finally fixed the issue with the Simconnect menu.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 04:10:15 pm by virtuali »

BrownieGnome

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 05:01:25 pm »
Hi, thanks for the quick response.
Sorry i forgot to mention it in my original post, but i already have applied this fix to no avail.
Would be nice if someone else or you have another suggestion :-)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 10:10:11 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 10:19:24 pm »
Please clarify if with "applied this fix to no avail", you mean:

- You reverted to Scaleform, which was the solution suggested before HF2.

- You applied the Hotfix 2, but still getting the crashes.

Not that this changes much in relationship to GSX because, in both cases, it's the MENU that makes the sim crash, not GSX.

The problem is, while reverting to Scaleform somewhat improved the situation, it wasn't 100% stable, since LM is moving away from Scaleform, and it's possible it might eventually disappear in the future. AND, some users reported Scaleform made the sim unstable NOT in the same way as Html ( crashing on the menu ), but in other ways. And again, you could too replicate this even with no add-ons installed, just open the default ATC many times, until it will eventually crash.

So, we can only hope HF2 improved the Html menu, which is supposed to be the "proper" choice but again, it's completely outside our control how it works and if it crashes, there's nothing we or anybody else using that menu can do to prevent it because, to us, it's a complete blackbox, we just do an extremely straightforward Simconnect call that hasn't changed in years, which simply list the items in the menu, and call us back telling which option the user chose. That's it.

The only suggestion I can give ( I was NEVER able to replicate that crash, even before HF2 ) is to clean up your installation this way:

- Uninstall the sim.

- Reinstall it using the FULL installer. No, add-ons won't require to be reinstalled, if you use the same folder as before.

- Before launching it for the first time, use the "Delete Generated Files" shortcut, which will clean up all your preferences. And no, even if this will remove your .CFG files, add-ons ( like GSX ) that use the add-on.xml won't need to be reinstalled. Only those that still use the legacy scenery.cfg method will.

That option is very useful to clean up any settings that might have been carried over from previous installs that might not compatible with an upgrade, and should be the first thing to try if you have stability issues.

BrownieGnome

Re: GSX crashing sim, then stops working **SOLVED, not a GSX problem**
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 10:28:54 pm »
Replying to what you asked about:
I applied the HTML fix before upgrading to HF2, and after that nothing crashed, yet GSX doesn’t start up. GSX places cones but no GUI or anything. When trying to disable gsx through add on manager in-sim it completely disappears, and requires a live update rerun to return to the sim. So this is my issue now, getting GSX’s menu to pop up. I’ll do a full reinstall this coming weekend. Thanks, but any suggestions in the meantime would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 10:33:19 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 10:36:50 pm »
I applied the HTML fix before upgrading to HF2, and after that nothing crashed, yet GSX doesn’t start up. GSX places cones but no GUI or anything.

If you see the cones when are parked, it means GSX is working perfectly fine. If you just don't see the menu, then the only possible explanation, is you must have applied the fix in the wrong way, making the menu inoperable.

When trying to disable gsx through add on manager in-sim it completely disappears, and requires a live update rerun to return to the sim.

This is normal and, you shouldn't expect to Disable GSX hope it would fix it. Disable does exactly that it seems: it disables GSX. And, since the problem with the menu is not caused by GSX, nothing you do ON GSX will fix it.

I’ll do a full reinstall this coming weekend. Thanks, but any suggestions in the meantime would be appreciated.

And don't forget to use the "Delete Generated Files", that's the only thing that really cleans up things even a full reinstall won't.

BrownieGnome

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 10:55:00 pm »
I understand. Thank you so much, your help is much appreciated :-)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 10:58:01 pm by virtuali »