Author Topic: FSDT gone haywire  (Read 2143 times)

40westway

FSDT gone haywire
« on: December 27, 2021, 11:50:32 am »
My FSDT GSX has gone haywire. Example, after landing I select a location to place aircraft and ask to "just warp me there" and the screen goes crazy bouncing all over the place and NOT placing me at the location I select, then FSX crashes. What's the problem? This is a new development that never happened before. >:(

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: FSDT gone haywire
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2021, 02:50:22 pm »
The problem is caused by one of your joystick that is not properly calibrated, but has some of its axes assigned to Slew Mode.

It's fixed by removing any Control Axes assigned to joysticks with Option->Settings->Controls, and be sure you are removing axes from "Slew" Flight Mode, not "Normal"

40westway

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2021, 03:15:55 pm »
I don't use a joystick; I use Honeycomb Aeronautical Yoke and Throttles. Is there something else I should do to correct the problem?

airbadger

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2021, 05:21:56 pm »
I don't use a joystick; I use Honeycomb Aeronautical Yoke and Throttles. Is there something else I should do to correct the problem?

Yoke or joystick is irrelevant, you still might have slew axes assigned by P3D by default to your yoke and throttle.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2021, 05:53:56 pm »
I don't use a joystick; I use Honeycomb Aeronautical Yoke and Throttles.

So yes, you do use a joystick. In fact, you use at least two, since these present themselves as two separate joystick.

And, you might even have additional joysticks you might not even know you have. For example, my 3D Mouse from 3DConnexion adds an extra joystick to the system, which sometimes appears in games screwing up things, so I also sometimes do the mistake of assuming "the game has a bug", just because I forgot I have this extra joystick, that doesn't even look like one, but is...

40westway

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2021, 07:44:51 pm »
Interesting.......But I don't.

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2021, 06:52:20 am »
Interesting.......But I don't.
Did you not just say you use the Honeycomb yoke and throttles.
Captain Kevin

40westway

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2021, 10:48:08 am »
Absolutely no idea what is meant by "extra" joysticks!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2021, 10:56:51 am »
Absolutely no idea what is meant by "extra" joysticks!

I was just trying to covering all my bases, saying that, in addition to the TWO joysticks you should KNOW you have, you *might* have extra joysticks you don't know, for example in case of some hardware controllers that, even if they don't "look" like a joystick, they still present themselves as joysticks.

Sometimes the opposite is true as well: the Saitek X52, even if it looks like a joystick, can also act as a mouse due to the small mini-controller it has on the throttle that shows up as an extra mouse.

But of course, even if you are sure you don't have any "extra" joysticks, it doesn't mean the problem is GSX and it doesn't mean you couldn't solve it as I already explained.

It simply means, the joystick you need to look for in the Controls settings and remove the Slew events assigned to its Axes, is one of the TWO joystick you have, that is the Honeycomb Yoke or the Honeycomb Throttle.

40westway

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2021, 11:06:34 am »
Both the Honeycomb devices are set to "normal" and NOT slew. So, I don't understand your explanation, maybe it's my 80 years. I've been doing this stuff for many years; this is a first and I still suspect it's an inherent GSX issue. But I do appreciate your assistance.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2021, 11:32:11 am »
Both the Honeycomb devices are set to "normal" and NOT slew. So, I don't understand your explanation

I figured out you didn't understand. There's no such thing as a "joystick set to normal", opposed to a "joystick set to slew". The joystick is not set to anything.

It's the SIMULATOR that has its Controls setting divided between "Normal" and "Slew" flight modes, and to either of these modes, it might have automatically assigned some of your existing joystick Axes to various event.

So, when I said you need to be sure you are in the Slew flight mode, I simply meant that, the Axes event you need to REMOVE, should be the ones for the Slew mode, not the ones on Normal flight, otherwise you might end up removing event assigned to Axes you need in *ACTUAL* flight, which is not what you want to do, and it's not what will fix your problem, because your problem is that, when GSX puts the airplane momentarily in Slew mode, the uncalibrated Axes (one that is assigned in *SLEW* mode, not normal flight) is making the airplane spinning out of control.

If you still don't understand, check this video, I linked it exactly where it goes in the Control menu to set Slew mode events:

&t=58s

The only difference is that when he says "go to Buttons and Keys, select Slew mode", in YOUR case should be "go to Controls Axes, select Slew mode".

Be sure you check all your joystick devices, which should be visible in the "Controller Type" list, and be sure they don't have any Axes assigned IN SLEW MODE, that is AFTER you select Slew mode from the "Control Axes" tab of the Controls settings page.

I really don't know how to explain it any better than this. Note that, this is BASIC FSX functionality we are discussing here, nothing related to GSX in any way.