Author Topic: Question Regarding The Scope Of DFW Scenery  (Read 7474 times)

thepilot

Question Regarding The Scope Of DFW Scenery
« on: December 28, 2009, 01:06:09 pm »
I was recently checking out the charts for DFW airport and noticed there is a visual approach for runway 31R, the so-called Stadium Visual.
You can view it here free of charge: http://www.naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0913/06039STADIUM_VIS31R.PDF

There are following visual references marked on the chart: The Texas Stadium, Lakce buildings, a golf course and a couple of interstates.

My question is whether you would consider adding these buildings to the scenery so that a proper visual approach can be performed. I ask this as I usually prefer a visual over an ILS app. Definitely more fun, and more challenging as well. However, when there are certain landmarks missing, it is not the real deal. Personally, I think a trivial rendition here would do the job. Thanks for consideration!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Question Regarding The Scope Of DFW Scenery
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 01:40:31 pm »
They are all in the default scenery already. Both in FS9 and FSX. Better done and more detailed in FSX, of course, but still the FS9 version has all the landmarks you cited.

thepilot

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 01:56:31 pm »
So how about compensating the lack of detailed FS9 landmarks by creating new ones? ;)
I didn't honestly know FS9 esp. was that accurate in the default scenery, as most of time this is not the case. Thanks.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 02:21:22 pm »
So how about compensating the lack of detailed FS9 landmarks by creating new ones? ;)

As I've said, ALL the landmarks you cited in that visual approach, ARE present in the FS9 default scenery already.

They are just less detailed than the FSX version, but they are all there and, as you said yourself "I think a trivial rendition here would do the job", which is exactly what FS9 provides so, there's no need to add anything, because it's all already there, even in FS9.

thepilot

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 02:35:47 pm »
I was joking (did you see the ;) ?) as a response to one of your thousand references that FSX is more detailed than FS9.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 03:31:45 pm »
I was joking (did you see the ;) ?) as a response to one of your thousand references that FSX is more detailed than FS9.

I was just stating a fact. If there are "thousands references" of that, it's only means the improvements are many.

If you wanted to know if, in case the FS9 default scenery was really empty, if we would be willing to add those missing object to the FS9 version, then no, we think to have already explained this: if there's something in the default scenery that it's missing in FS9 *only*, we are not going to do extra work just for the FS9 version, to add something that it's default in FSX.

Luckly for FS9 users (in this case), the default scenery is not empty, but includes everything you have asked for, just in lesser detail.

thepilot

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 07:31:29 pm »
we are not going to do extra work just for the FS9 version

It would have truly amazed me if you were willing to do so ;)
You seem unconvinceable - have you ever accepted a user request (serious question)? Quotes please.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 08:32:46 pm »
You seem unconvinceable - have you ever accepted a user request (serious question)? Quotes please.

We always accepted user's requests, when they make sense.

There's obviously not need to "quote" every episode, because if you simply look the the very long AFCAD threads, it's clearly proven that all suggestions are always followed.

Or, the threads about the supposed JFK "texture blurriness", which in fact is not really a problem on a properly set system, but we changed a lot our design methods for later sceneries, so they'll appear sharp even on wrongly setup systems.

Or, the threads about making the reinstall procedure less confusing, which lead to the current version of the Addon Manager, that has a reinstall entirely remade, which should be easier to understand for those that don't read the manuals.

Or, the threads about making the purchase simpler, which lead to the use of a Web page as an alternate way of purchasing products, instead of only using the in-game menu, as it used to be.

The suggestion to improve FS9 trying to replicate what FSX already has as default, instead, doesn't make any sense. If we were trying to to do that, it would mean (and this is just a *partial* list)

10x denser autogen
4x texture resolution
Way more detailed default scenery (cities, roads, rivers, lakes, coastlines, landclasses, etc.)
Dynamic airport vehicles with their own pysical modeling and behaviour
Up to 7 cm/pixel photoreal scenery, instead of 4.8 m/pixel
Advanced textures and material properties
Traffic on roads

Even assuming we would ever be able to recreate those features in FS9 ( which shouldn't be taken for granted, and at WHAT cost ? ), the end result would probably be slower than the real FSX, which makes the whole exercise pointless, because at that point, you could just use FSX instead.

If you decided to use the less capable simulator, that's fine for us, but you just can't pretend to have the same features.

Basically, to use a real-world example, it's as if a Wii user would *demand* support for HD resolution from the developer of his favourite game, just because the same developer has done a PS3/Xbox360 version of the same game that has it.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 08:35:15 pm by virtuali »

thepilot

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 12:59:24 am »
Alright, seems valid to me. I merely asked out of curiosity.
About the usage of a "less capable" simulator, as you call it: FSX is so hardware-hungry that my settings would have to be turned down so much that it wouldn't look any better than FS9 (at a worse peformance). So the landmarks wouldn't probably even show.

SirIsaac726

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 05:41:05 am »
Alright, seems valid to me. I merely asked out of curiosity.
About the usage of a "less capable" simulator, as you call it: FSX is so hardware-hungry that my settings would have to be turned down so much that it wouldn't look any better than FS9 (at a worse peformance). So the landmarks wouldn't probably even show.

That is the case for me as well.  BUT, current technology is catching up/has already caught up with the i cores and is making FSX to be probably the best sim out there with the correct technology.  The problem is the price but with time it will come down.  Basically, FSX was ahead of its time when it was released.

I currently use FS9 just because I don't have the technology but once I have the money and the price comes down on the iCores, you can bet I'll be making a switch

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 01:19:11 am »
Since you guys mention FSX being resource hogs, how about posting your specs?

I'm running an Intel Core 2 Duo with a G Force 8800 video card, and I'm getting well over 24 frames just about everywhere with my graphics sliders at medium settings.  Check this thread by Mathijs at Aerosoft and follow his suggestions, it works nicely.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

SirIsaac726

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 03:35:22 am »
Since you guys mention FSX being resource hogs, how about posting your specs?

I'm running an Intel Core 2 Duo with a G Force 8800 video card, and I'm getting well over 24 frames just about everywhere with my graphics sliders at medium settings.  Check this thread by Mathijs at Aerosoft and follow his suggestions, it works nicely.

Thanks Bruce!  I am running a Quad Core so I'll have to look into that.