Author Topic: Questions on catapult officer  (Read 40256 times)

vuong

Re: Questions on catapult officer
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2009, 07:19:24 pm »
Hi Microbrewst,

What make the holdback bar drop down so easily when it is under tremendous tension?
Jimmy

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2009, 09:39:23 pm »
vuong, this does not answer your question because I don't know but it comes from NATOPS, perhaps Googling question might bring up some answers. Having the correct terminology is important so here the NATOPS description is useful:

F/A-18A/B/C/D NATOPS

Catapult Hook-Up. Before taxiing past the shuttle, aircraft gross weight should be verified, takeoff checklist complete, and arming completed by the ordnance crew if required.

Check external fuel quantity. Approach the catapult track slowly, lightly riding the brakes, with
nosewheel steering on. Use minimum power required to keep the aircraft rolling. Close attention
to the plane director’s signals is required to align the aircraft with the catapult track entry
wye.When aligned, the plane director signals the pilot to lower the launch bar. Place the launch
bar switch to EXTEND. The green LAUNCH BAR advisory light comes on and nosewheel
steering disengages. Nosewheel steering low mode may be engaged while the launch bar is
down by pressing and holding the nosewheel steering button. This should only be done on
signal from the director since catapult personnel may be in close proximity to the launch bar. Do
not use nosewheel steering once the launch bar enters the track. The catapult crew installs the
holdback bar and the aircraft may taxi forward slowly, following the signals of the plane director.

When the launch bar drops over the shuttle spreader, the aircraft will be stopped by the
holdback bar engaging the catapult buffer. On aircraft 161353 THRU 161715, upon receipt of
the “Release Brakes” signal, advance throttles to 85% to 90% rpm. Do not advance throttles to
MIL at this time since this could retract the launch bar before it is trapped by the tensioned
shuttle spreader. On aircraft 161716 AND UP, upon receipt of the “Release Brakes” signal, advance throttles to MIL.

8.2.8 Catapult Launch
WARNING
Do not catapult with partially full external fuel tank(s).

When the “Final Turnup” signal is received from the catapult officer, advance throttles to MIL or MAX. On aircraft 161353 THRU 161715, the launch bar switch automatically returns to RETRACT and the green LAUNCH BAR advisory light goes out. On aircraft 161716 AND UP, place the launch bar switch to RETRACT. Cycle the flight controls, wait 4 seconds then ensure all warning and caution lights are out. If afterburners are to be used, select them on signal from the catapult officer. Check engine instruments. When satisfied that the aircraft is ready for launch, hold throttles firmly against the detent, place the head against the head-rest, and salute the catapult officer with the right hand.

WARNING
• The close proximity of the Flap and Launch Bar switches may result in inadvertent selection of FLAPS UP vice launch bar up.
• Movement of the Launch Bar switch to RETRACT prior to the aircraft being fully tensioned may result in a mispositioned launch bar and subsequent launch bar/shuttle separation during catapult launch.

NOTE
Failure to place launch bar switch to retract may result in hydraulic seal failure.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 09:46:38 pm by SpazSinbad »
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

SpazSinbad

• A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2009, 09:56:32 pm »
FWIW: http://safetycenter.navy.mil/media/approach/vault/articles/2004/0772.htm

Holdback Fitting Failure   by Lt. Adam J. Smith/FA-18

After four weeks of operations off the coast of Florida and in the Gulf of Mexico, the CVW-17/JFK team was almost complete with COMPTUEX. As anyone who has ever been involved in the normal CV workup cycle knows, most squadrons run a heavy schedule during COMPTUEX, and VFA-83 was no exception.

On 14 March 2004, our squadron had 23 sorties and 9 alerts scheduled. I was one of the lucky ones programmed for a 1.5-hour cycle DCA (day trap variety) with four hours of Alert-7 to follow. The flight brief was short and to the point. I was to fly with the squadron Operations Officer as his wingman. I walked to the jet and conducted my regular preflight inspection. The startup and subsequent taxi to the catapult were routine. What happened next was anything but ordinary.

I taxied onto catapult #3 in the usual fashion. Everything seemed normal as the aircraft entered the catapult track. The holdback fitting was attached, and I was armed up by the ordnancemen. The taxi director stood on my right side between the tower and the cat as he gave me the "take tension" sign. Following the control surface wipeout, I performed a last minute check of the flap and trim settings, the radalt bug and the beer cans (wing spread and locked indicators). With all of the take-off checks completed, I saluted the catapult officer.

As the Catapult Officer returned my salute, I positioned my left hand on the throttle and my right hand on the canopy bow handle (towel rack). Looking down the catapult track, I kept the green shirt that was going to press the catapult-firing button in my peripheral vision. I felt the holdback fitting release as the button was pushed; however, the sensation of the normal catapult acceleration was absent. I instantly knew that I had suffered either a "cold cat" or hold back fitting failure. Selecting ground idle with both throttles, I threw the arresting hook down and stood on the break pedals as if my life depended upon it. My Hornet stopped accelerating down the cat track, but it was still sliding towards the forward edge of the deck. In a final attempt to stop before pulling the ejection handle, I drove the right rudder pedal down in an effort to ground loop the aircraft. The jet rotated 90 degrees to the right and continued to skid down the angle. I was now staring straight at aircraft 310 on Cat #2 with both main mounts stuck in the greasy cat track offering no friction whatsoever. The aircraft finally came to rest with the port main mount a mere 15 ft from the deck edge, and I was looking at nothing but water under my left wingtip.

Although I had not initiated any communication with the tower during the entire incident, I did recall hearing someone transmit over tower frequency and say, "get the Hornet." It turned out this was the Skipper of our EA-6B squadron who was witnessing me slide forward on the LA.

Immediately after the incident, both the Ship's Safety Officer and the CAG Safety Officer took a vested interest in getting to the root cause of the narrowly averted mishap. As my squadron maintainers scrambled to examine the holdback fitting that is attached to the nose gear, the ship folks examined the holdback bar.

The F/A-18 uses what is called a "Repeatable Release Holdback Bar (RRHB)." These bars are taken to AIMD and inspected after every 100 traps to verify the integrity of the bar. The preliminary investigation report pointed to a failure of the RRHB that caused it to only partially reset in the deck plate and therefore fail during my launch. Subsequent investigations by the Air Division showed that the ship had more RHHBs in the same unsatisfactory condition. Since the incident, all of the RHHBs have been inspected, and the failed RHHBs have been replaced. In an additional measure, the "shooters" now incorporate a more stringent examination of the RHHB as part of their prelaunch checklist.

In conclusion, the normal safety procedures that F/A-18 aircrew have in place, including emergency procedures review before each and every flight, worked and kept me and aircraft 301 in one piece.

Lt. Smith flies with VFA-83.

micro

« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2009, 01:26:00 am »
Hi Microbrewst,

What make the holdback bar drop down so easily when it is under tremendous tension?
Jimmy

I'm kind of confused by your question. I guess the best way to clarify is to ask you what you would expect it to do.

vuong

« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2009, 03:42:42 am »
Hi,
I believed I got the answer  from your previous tread:
"Actually, the whole thing stays intact and nothing goes along with the aircraft. The point of it was to prevent anything from breaking. It's all based on pressurized release."

Thank you very much

SpazSinbad

« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2009, 07:02:12 pm »