Author Topic: The Pitching Deck Saga  (Read 39255 times)

JamesChams

Re: The Pitching Deck Saga
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2010, 02:37:05 am »

:o That's simply awesome, Mr. "neutrino"  8) Now when are you all ready to release these changes? ???

I'm still putting the entire NAVAL Package together... I waiting for several things from other dev.'s to be finished, first.  And, with your permission, I would like to add this and all the other updates into one simple, easily-installable package.

Guys keep up these great enhancements/tests; your work is greatly appreciated ... ;) 
"Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” (Prov.13:20 NIV)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

sonofabeech

• sonofabeech is in the slot
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2010, 08:52:25 am »
j.r. thats fantastic work :o is this the secret project you have been working on that has been driving Orion nuts  :)
Have to just comment that because of all the "neutrinoing" going on, not many people are aware of your piloting skills
which I have to say are right up there with paco and sludge!!!  that pitching deck approach was really something !!

Simon"Sonofa"Beech
If you have use full afterburner to taxi to your parking spot it means that you landed with your gear up!!

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2010, 05:37:03 pm »
your piloting skills which I have to say are right up there with paco and sludge!!!

Simon, you hit that right on the numbers...

He is definately a very good FSX pilot.  Top Gun movie love notwithstanding, his flight skills are definately top caliber.  Im a tough Paddles, and I know he got at least two OK landings in my book.  I remember one where I called "roger, ball" and had to say NOTHING til his jet caught the wire.  He was in the center crosshairs ALL THE WAY down and if not for the last split-second low AtTheRamp correction, wouldve given an OK, UNDERLINED.  Wouldve been a first in FSX carrier flight that I know of.  Add to that he has a good imagination/ideas along with being a good programmer!

So JR, this was your super-secret "Id tell you but Id have to kill you" project you were working on?!  haha...  Great work!

Later
Sludge

neutrino

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2010, 07:49:38 pm »
Thanks for the kind words guys, but what you see in the video is still a work in progress. I did not expect such reactions, so I just posted it without description ::) My idea was to initiate some creative thinking about how to achieve the pitching carrier. It is possible to have the pitching deck in a mission, in fact what you see in the video is part of a mission based on micro's idea, but there are a couple of limitations one of which you may see clearly on the video. I made the video in Decemeber last year and kept it private hoping to be able to find some solution on my own, but I exhausted all methods that I know of and couldn't solve the problems. So I decided to declassify the video now ;D

Despite the limitations, the approach is very real - it is pretty challenging and catching the 3 wire as you can see is quite risky - so I made a lot of bolters and 4 wires before catching the 3rd 8)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 08:08:10 pm by neutrino »

sonofabeech

• sonofabeech is in the slot
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2010, 10:14:37 pm »
I take it the limitation you are speaking about is the absence of a working meatball or have you managed to get that working?... also noticed you were flying without the ils needles did you turn them off for the approach , are they not working cos of the pitching deck or are you just using the old hud?
tell us or we will set analjet on you...  ;D   names witheld to protect the innocent.. ;) heheh
Simon"Sonofa"Beech
If you have use full afterburner to taxi to your parking spot it means that you landed with your gear up!!

neutrino

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2010, 10:31:27 pm »
You got it, Simon - the meatball (FLOLS) and the catapults are not operational. The wires and the ILS work fine. I didn't use the ILS needles because I wanted to fly a visual approach. The needles however can keep you right on glideslope just like a stabilized FLOLS - they are not affected by the pitching motion.

To tell you the truth - I find the zero visibility, night landings (visibility set to 1/8 mi) more thrilling than a pitching deck - with a pitching deck at least you can see the carrier and bolter/wave off, but at zero vis - you see absolutely nothing until the last 3-4 seconds of the approach and if you miss (and don't crash into the carrier or the ocean) - you have to go around only by instruments as all you can see outside the cockpit is darkness 8)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 10:41:53 pm by neutrino »

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2010, 02:35:23 am »
Neutrino, now that you have 'fessed up' to 'deck spotting' perhaps we can comment about your 'dive at the 'moving' deck' in your video. I can understand why you had to do that (considering apparent earlier attempts).  ;D

To me it looks like the carrier moves too rapidly up and down. It is a large ship so it will move perhaps as much as it appears to move - but about at least half as slowly. That was my impression anyway. Do you get paid for those approaches?  ;D

Agree about night landings. Anyway the only way FSX has become usable is from the sterling efforts of all involved on this forum (youse know whose youse are) in modding the Hornet HUD etc. Great work all round. Congrats.
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

Razgriz

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2010, 03:10:41 am »
Neutrino, now that you have 'fessed up' to 'deck spotting' perhaps we can comment about your 'dive at the 'moving' deck' in your video. I can understand why you had to do that (considering apparent earlier attempts).  ;D

To me it looks like the carrier moves too rapidly up and down. It is a large ship so it will move perhaps as much as it appears to move - but about at least half as slowly. That was my impression anyway. Do you get paid for those approaches?  ;D

Agree about night landings. Anyway the only way FSX has become usable is from the sterling efforts of all involved on this forum (youse know whose youse are) in modding the Hornet HUD etc. Great work all round. Congrats.

I agree, the deck is pitching waaay too fast.

Paco

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2010, 02:12:53 pm »

Couldn't agree more!!!  I was ready to trash FSX, but with all the mods/improvements (HUD, multiplayer mission, sludge Hornet, refueling guage, tanker, Nimitz carriers etc) it's viable.  Nice job is an understatement.  I was reading the latest issue of Computer pilot.  I the section where they review freeware, they are under the impression that multiplayer ops with a moving carrier, can't be done in FSX.  I think, we should invite them to do story on our Saturday afternoon flying club.  Complete with pics and reviews on the freeware available. 
Paco

Madadog

• VFR Reviews
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2010, 06:26:28 pm »
That sounds like an excellent idea, Paco. Who knows, "You're in the slot" could become an international flight simming catch phrase!
Adam "Madadog" Johnson.

“Madadog, 1.5 miles. Madadog, roger ball, yaddi, yaddi, yadda."
"Hmm...I am a bit left. Are you sure you can't move the carrier over a bit?"

Orion

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2010, 12:10:44 am »
I was reading the latest issue of Computer pilot.  I the section where they review freeware, they are under the impression that multiplayer ops with a moving carrier, can't be done in FSX.
Really?  That fails...

That sounds like an excellent idea, Paco. Who knows, "You're in the slot" could become an international flight simming catch phrase!
And so could the use of "neutrino" when you pass by someone at high speed when they aren't expecting it :P.

neutrino

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2010, 12:29:41 am »
And so could the use of "neutrino" when you pass by someone at high speed when they aren't expecting it :P.

Wikipedia: Neutrinos are elementary particles that often travel close to the speed of light and are able to pass through ordinary matter almost undisturbed and are thus extremely difficult to detect ;D

Orion

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2010, 02:13:02 am »
Well, yeah, who didn't know that?  I was just thinking of using it as a separate FS term :P.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 11:34:01 pm by Orion »

Madadog

• VFR Reviews
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2010, 07:32:28 am »
Wikipedia: Neutrinos are elementary particles that often travel close to the speed of light and are able to pass through ordinary matter almost undisturbed and are thus extremely difficult to detect ;D

"Speed of light", "extremely difficult to detect"? In that case, I neutrino people on the road all the time.  ;D
Adam "Madadog" Johnson.

“Madadog, 1.5 miles. Madadog, roger ball, yaddi, yaddi, yadda."
"Hmm...I am a bit left. Are you sure you can't move the carrier over a bit?"

Orion

« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2010, 07:51:26 am »
"Speed of light", "extremely difficult to detect"? In that case, I neutrino people on the road all the time.  ;D
Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at.  The use of neutrino as a verb :P.