Author Topic: Performance Issue in FS9  (Read 4754 times)

crunk747

Performance Issue in FS9
« on: December 05, 2009, 06:28:52 am »
I have recently built a new system dedicated to FS9 and FSX ,but lately I have been having performance issues in FS9. The specs are a i7 920, 6GB tri channel, GTX285 Black Edition, and EVGA mobo. Now my problem is that I am seeing terribly low frames in FS9.  :-\ This system should dominate FS9 without question even with the highest settings. For example at FSDT LAX and JFK my computer only sees about 20-25 fps (with stuttering) when taxiing, but once I take off, it climbs into the mid 40's. (I know its not the scenery) This system should run a consistent 60+ fps wherever I fly, but its just not performing right.  ??? I have reinstalled nHancer and updated to latest nVidia drivers ,but other than that I don't really know where else to go...  ??? FS9 doesn't not have that many areas that you can tweak like in FSX. Any help/suggestions is greatly appreciated.  :)

Regards,

Dan

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Performance Issue in FS9
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 12:02:31 pm »
Have you tried other games or, for example, FSX ? This might give you an idea is the PC is generally underperforming, or it's just an FS9 issue.

However, even if 20-25 is very low ( I get those numbers on my 2006 Core Duo at KJFK in FSX ), note the following:

- FS9 is way more dependent from CPU speed ( actual clock speed ) than FSX. The i7 920 is 2.66 so, it's not so different from an older Core Duo.

- FS9 doesn't use more than 1 core and doesn't use hyperthreading so, the other cores are just idling. The only advantage of using this machine for FS9, would be that you might be able to encode a video while flying, since FS9 will only take 1 core, taking probably about 10% of total CPU utilization.

- FS9 is not very dependent on the video card like FSX. So, the GTX285, which is estremely powerful, is just wasted in FS9. The only advantage of it, is that you might be able to drive more than 1 monitor without fps loss or use very high resolutions, like 2560x1600 on a 30", or you can use antialiasing at the maximum quality possibile.

I'm sorry to say that but, even if there are probabably issues with your specific config, because you should be able to obtain more, using that system with FS9 is just wrong, that's an FSX config.

If you really wanted to use FS9 only and nothing else, you might have been better served with a previous generation Core Duo 2 with a faster clock, like the Extreme Edition, for example. OR, you should overclock the i7. IF, you know what you are doing, with regard to proper heat dissipation.

windshear

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 06:02:29 pm »
I am unsure what to order when I order my new PC. I am going to be flying in FSX and I want to have the best performance. I have decided on a 2GB GTX 285 card so on the graphics side I am going all out, but when it comes to my CPU I am not sure if I should stick with the 950i or cash out an extra 330EURs for the 975i?

Sorry for joining your thread crunk, but I was intrigued by Virtuali's post.

Boaz.
Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

crunk747

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 06:14:08 pm »
Virtuali,

I had FSX installed back in August when the computer was assembled but I messed up the config somehow so I uninstalled it and I haven't had the time to put it back on lately. I do understand that my computer is more of an FSX configuration rather an FS9 one, but I like to use both sims based on where I am flying. I like to use FS9 more because they a greater amount of add-ons for it than FSX. (KLAX, KSEA, PMDG 737NG, etc.) So basically what you are saying virtuali is that the only way to improve my performance in FS9 is to overclock my i7? Thanks for the help. :)

Regards,

Dan

byron4life

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 06:16:35 pm »
I just got a 920, and oveclocked it to 3.8, and its bulletproof. Ive read the the 950's and 975's arent good overclockers because of their heat production. Also check out the prolimatech megahalems cpu cooler, its real solid. You can get good oc numbers out of that cooler. Ill post results when I get FSX running, hopefully it will help you decide...

crunk747

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 06:37:35 pm »
Ok thanks byron4life I am actually looking into a new i7 for Christmas, but can't decide...

byron4life

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 06:08:49 am »
If you live in Southern California, check out microcenter. I picked a brand new 920 w/ d0 stepping for $199!!!
To good to pass up. Right now I have it at 3.8 without breaking a sweat.