Author Topic: Revisiting the Simconnect client install error  (Read 3840 times)

Pearskin

Revisiting the Simconnect client install error
« on: April 27, 2020, 06:34:59 pm »
I gave up on SimConnect after spending two years trying to get it to work but recently I noticed getting a SimConnect Client install error when installing FSDT airports. Can anyone shed some light on why I get this error. It might just help me to understand why my SimConnect will not work. I am relegated to using FSUIPC which works fine as does also my file sharing. Any useful information would be deeply appreciated.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Revisiting the Simconnect client install error
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 09:35:37 am »
Our installers don't do anything different than just installing the normal Simconnect installers from Microsoft, which are also included in P3D "redist" folder ( you could do so manually ) so, if your system has issues which prevents installing the Simconnect clients, it won't obviously be any better/worse if the same installers are launched from our installers.

If you said more precisely which error you got from those MS installers, maybe we could help.

jg7xman

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 10:03:13 pm »
Hey guys! I think I may have stumbled on what might be the issue:

https://forums.hifisimtech.com/threads/correct-simconnect-xml-encoding.11929/

https://www.simforums.com/forums/topic62447_post401901.html#401901 (last 2 posts)

I just posted this on HiFI (Active Sky) forum:
The Simconnect.xml file that is in the HiFi\AS_P3Dv4\SimConnectFiles has this encoding in its header: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>
The Simconnect.xml file that is in the Prepar3D v4 SDK\config\SimConnect has this encoding in its header: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

The issue here that I use OpusFSI for head-tracking (it's weather function is turned off) and it requires the <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> version to work.

I run ASN P3DV4 in NETWORK mode and it doesn't connect with the sim unless I use the .xml file that is in the SimConnectFiles folder with the "Windows-1252" encoding. However, I loose functionality of OpusFSI's TrackIR limits (which keeps my eye-point inside the defined space - i.e. the cockpit). Note: I regain OpusFSI's TrackIR limits functionality when I revert back to the "UTF-8" simconnect version P3D endorsed.

Can you please make use of the standard one P3D issued please?

As I run AS on a client PC, I have to manually move the file I need onto my server PC (hence me catching this). If you are running AS on the same PC as your sim, the installation process might be overwriting your simconnet.xml file with their  "Windows-1252" encoded version which isn't as popular as "UTF-8".
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 10:15:39 pm by jg7xman »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 10:16:26 pm »

We don't make use of ANY Simconnect.XML file. The Simconnect.xml file is NOT part of a standard Simconnect installation, it's only supposed to be manually created by users that need to run Simconnect over a network.

Those two different files are just two examples but, their working ( or not ) is entirely transparent to applications. No part of our code knows, reads, use or has any access to it.

In fact, I don't even understand how's possible that one add-on is affected by it, unless that add-on read that file trying to understand IF you are running over a network, for some reason. But I can assure you, we don't do anything like that.

jg7xman

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 10:27:53 pm »

We don't make use of ANY Simconnect.XML file. The Simconnect.xml file is NOT part of a standard Simconnect installation, it's only supposed to be manually created by users that need to run Simconnect over a network.

Those two different files are just two examples but, their working ( or not ) is entirely transparent to applications. No part of our code knows, reads, use or has any access to it.

In fact, I don't even understand how's possible that one add-on is affected by it, unless that add-on read that file trying to understand IF you are running over a network, for some reason. But I can assure you, we don't do anything like that.

That was what I posted on HIFi's forum  ;D, it was not directed to you :)

jg7xman

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 07:45:54 pm »
OK - All is well again! Took the advice of one of their techs changed the dll.xml encoding to UTF-8 (it was "Windows-1252") and used the simconnect.xml file encoded as UTF-8 in the SDK folder and everything is working.

So it seems the encoding of the simconnect.xml and dll.xml files must be the same.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 10:29:26 pm »
So it seems the encoding of the simconnect.xml and dll.xml files must be the same.

Not exactly.

The .XML files can encoded in any way, the important thing is they are not "lying about themselves".

Which means, if the XML header says "Windows-1252", the actual encoding in the file MUST be Windows-1252 which usually mean, it shouldn't contain any characters not belonging to that encoding.

Per XML standards, the header is not even mandatory and, if it's missing, the file is assumed to be encoded UTF-8.