Author Topic: NEW Realistic HUD for the Hornet  (Read 112353 times)

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
Re: NEW Realistic HUD for the Hornet
« Reply #120 on: February 05, 2010, 05:22:19 pm »
Tre...

A "caged" HUD will LOCK the HUD Pitch Ladder and Velocity Vector to the middle, so you can see it, even in high wind conditions.  Normally, an "uncaged" HUD Ladder will move side to side as well and can drift off the screen if the sidewinds are too high.  "Caging" it locks it down and instead of moving left or right, you will see a "ghost" velocity vector, denoting where the wind is pushing you.  The ghost v/vector looks like the regular v/vector without the circle.  Instead, you will just see the three sticks.  If you need pics, let me know.  To enable, simply bring up the HUD Control Panel, and click ON the CAGE switch.

Also, you are close on TACAN.  Press TCN, then "4" and "7" and Enter.  Once entered, just make sure there is a green colon to the immediate left of the "X".  The green colon ":" denotes selection/activation when using any of those 5 side menu windows on the HUD UP FRONT CONTROLLER.

Later
Sludge

neutrino

« Reply #121 on: February 05, 2010, 05:49:35 pm »
Yes, to get TACAN and ILS from a carrier (with the new HUD) - you need to press the 'TCN' button, then 4-7-X. The display will show only 47. This is for the default Acceleration carrier. For Javier's Nimitz - you press 5-7-X. The immediate indication that you receive TCN/ILS from the carrier will be the letters 'TCN' in the lower-right corner of the HUD. When you are +/-35 degrees from the runway centerline you will also see the ILS needles.

The 'Caged' mode, which is turned on from the HUD Switch Panel (Shift+2), "cages" the velocity vector near the vertical centerline of the HUD. This is very useful when you have a strong cross wind and your velocity vector is outside the field of view of the HUD. When you switch to 'caged mode' - the vector will get back near the center of the HUD and you will be able to see if you are climbing or descending.

I have read all of the posts on this site and found them very helpful.  I have seen a reference in Post 91 to a "caged" HUD.  What does this mean, please?  Why is it caged?  Has it escaped? if so how do you catch it?

I am not clear about setting TACAN frequency 47X, does this mean press "TCN", 4-7 and then the green X followed by "ENT".  I have tried this but the figures on the frequency display don't show 47X so I think I have done something wrong.

Thank you,

Tregarth
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 05:54:28 pm by neutrino »

Tregarth

« Reply #122 on: February 05, 2010, 09:36:11 pm »

Dear Sludge and neutrino,

Thank you for your replies, I apprciate the time you have taken to answer the question.

Best regards,

Tregarth

Tregarth

« Reply #123 on: February 17, 2010, 08:52:26 pm »

Dear Sludge and Neutrino.

I don't see the ILS cross hairs when I try to land on Javier's Nimitz whilst flying the F-18 with your improved HUD.  I have pressed ILS, 1-1-2-ENT on the key pad but nothing appears either on the HUD or HSI screen.  I have used AICarriers to position the carrier 10 miles ahead of me and can see it but nothing shows on the display.

I know the HUD is working because when I input the home airfield ILS in as  ILS-1-1-1-7-5-ENT into the keypad the ILS cross hairs show immediately as does the caret on the HSI showing where the home field is.  Pressing Shift + 2 shows the HUD is switched on and the GPS/NAV switch is set to NAV, so all seems to be set correctly so why can't I see the ILS for the carrier?  :(

Thank you,

Tregarth

Razgriz

« Reply #124 on: February 17, 2010, 09:22:33 pm »

Dear Sludge and Neutrino.

I don't see the ILS cross hairs when I try to land on Javier's Nimitz whilst flying the F-18 with your improved HUD.  I have pressed ILS, 1-1-2-ENT on the key pad but nothing appears either on the HUD or HSI screen.  I have used AICarriers to position the carrier 10 miles ahead of me and can see it but nothing shows on the display.

I know the HUD is working because when I input the home airfield ILS in as  ILS-1-1-1-7-5-ENT into the keypad the ILS cross hairs show immediately as does the caret on the HSI showing where the home field is.  Pressing Shift + 2 shows the HUD is switched on and the GPS/NAV switch is set to NAV, so all seems to be set correctly so why can't I see the ILS for the carrier?  :(

Thank you,

Tregarth

Instead of using ILS (It should work, but don't quote me on it), press the TCN button directly to the left of the ILS button and input 5-7.  That will set the tacan channel to 57X, and X is the default channel.

sonofabeech

• sonofabeech is in the slot
« Reply #125 on: February 18, 2010, 12:20:43 am »
Are Sludge and Neutrino a couple now??  ;D
man you guys are taking this multi bonding a bit too far eh? :P
Simon"Sonofa"Beech
If you have use full afterburner to taxi to your parking spot it means that you landed with your gear up!!

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #126 on: February 18, 2010, 12:38:53 am »
Damn Sonofa...

Bonding??  First Titanic, now this...??!!  hahaha  Am I the "good half" or the "bad half"?

sonofabeech

• sonofabeech is in the slot
« Reply #127 on: February 18, 2010, 01:39:13 am »
Ill leave that up to the two of you to sort out lol
Simon"Sonofa"Beech
If you have use full afterburner to taxi to your parking spot it means that you landed with your gear up!!

Tregarth

« Reply #128 on: February 18, 2010, 05:17:54 pm »

Instead of using ILS (It should work, but don't quote me on it), press the TCN button directly to the left of the ILS button and input 5-7.  That will set the tacan channel to 57X, and X is the default channel.

In my cockpit I found the follwing procedure was required

1.  Click the TCN button
2.  Press 5-7-X Enter
To make the X work click the button between the "9" and the X.  If it has been selected properly a green : (colon) wil show.

3.  The data bar shows OF   57
4.  If a carrier has been placed then the TCN distance data block and ILS bars show.

You would not believe how long it has taken me to sort out problems with AICarriers (Java would not install properly) and this UFC panel so I can write this simple piece of information.

Tregarth

« Reply #129 on: February 18, 2010, 05:27:12 pm »
Dear Sludge and Neutrino,

Sorry, I did not mean to start any rumours with my post! :) ;) :-[

Can the F-18 HUD be transferred into Dino Cattaneo's T-45 Goshawk?

If this were to be so then we could fly from a shore base (Pensacola) then, using AICarriers find the Nimitz and fly the ILS to the deck - a truly useful training mission.

This HUD set up is too good to be confined to just 1 aeroplane.

Thank you,

Tregarth.

neutrino

« Reply #130 on: February 18, 2010, 07:24:14 pm »
Yep, there it is: Realistic F/A-18 HUD for Dino Cattaneo's Goshawk 8)

Can the F-18 HUD be transferred into Dino Cattaneo's T-45 Goshawk?

Thank you,

Tregarth.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 07:26:03 pm by neutrino »

Tregarth

« Reply #131 on: February 19, 2010, 01:28:54 pm »
This is really very good.

Thank you very much indeed for providing such a brilliant add-on.  The Goshawk is a joy to fly and the improved HUD is the icing on the cake!

So others can find the file quickly the address is

http://www.simviation.com/simviation/?type=item&ID=64&page=35

Thank you very much indeed,

Tregarth

GOONIE

« Reply #132 on: February 19, 2010, 03:08:04 pm »
Is there a way to change the default settings for the HUD symbology? When I boot up FSX I have to 'cage' the HUD, turn on the RA, display NAV1, and change the clock everytime. Just curious if there was an easy way to make it so the HUD is caged, RA on, NAV 1 on as the default setup. Thanks!
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

neutrino

« Reply #133 on: February 19, 2010, 06:10:08 pm »
Hi Capt, I've attached here a small initialization file for the HUD - it sets the initial (default) values for the modes:

1) Cage mode is ON
   2) Altimeter shows radar altitude
   3) Steering is set to NAV1
   4) ILS needles are ON
   5) Clock shows Local time

The .xml can be manually edited in notepad to set different default values.

Is there a way to change the default settings for the HUD symbology? When I boot up FSX I have to 'cage' the HUD, turn on the RA, display NAV1, and change the clock everytime. Just curious if there was an easy way to make it so the HUD is caged, RA on, NAV 1 on as the default setup. Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 11:06:59 am by neutrino »

GOONIE

« Reply #134 on: February 19, 2010, 06:40:33 pm »
Thanks Neutrino, you rock!  ;D
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."