Author Topic: Javier Fernandez's new Carrier pack  (Read 55330 times)

wilycoyote4

Re: Javier Fernandez's new Carrier pack
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2009, 01:02:15 am »
I'll try as well.  Thanks

Voodoo

• Voodoo's Hangar
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2009, 01:04:26 am »
Cheers, Sludge (and Wily).

If this works ok for you, Sludge, I may not bother to rework the default carrier effect for slower speeds, unless you still have a desire for it. If so, just shout.

All the best,
- Voodoo
FSX Community Tweaks and Fixes at Voodoo's Hangar - voodoo.wikispaces.com

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2009, 06:51:29 am »
Voodoo...

Much thanks to you.   Yeah, that mod worked perfectly, dont even worry about the default Ill just use this one.

micro

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2009, 03:42:07 pm »
Anyone know how to get a the carrier to move up and down with the waves in FSX, to simulate a pitching deck scenario?

Since you ask..... yes, it is possible. Here's a clip of a video I'm working on:

And, believe it or not, the ball actually IS stabilized.  :o I know, I was shocked too!

Razgriz

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2009, 04:09:39 pm »
Anyone know how to get a the carrier to move up and down with the waves in FSX, to simulate a pitching deck scenario?

Since you ask..... yes, it is possible. Here's a clip of a video I'm working on:

And, believe it or not, the ball actually IS stabilized.  :o I know, I was shocked too!

PLEASE!  Share how to do this or a download, there was a smile on my face as soon as I saw the first F/A-18 coming in to the end of the video!

GOONIE

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2009, 05:06:22 pm »
Microbrewst, bravo!  :o

That is exactly what I am talking about. Great video by the way, very impressive!

I know several of us would like to know how you got the CV to pitch like that, is it a sim.cfg change. I would love to be able to fly pitching deck, especially if the ball is stablized, which is good to hear.

Thanks for sharing!
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2009, 07:37:08 pm »
Microbrewst, Agree with others - great video. Nicely done. Great to know that the ball is stabilised. If that is the case then having the option of a pitching deck would be a nice edition to FSX for sure.
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2009, 08:28:11 pm »
Cant wait til this mod is shared with the fellas...

Looks really cool, and even more immersive!  If thats possible.

SpazSinbad

• A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2009, 01:25:40 am »
These guys CANUCKS need the carrier pack for some Carrier Landings eh:  ::)

http://www.aircombatzone.com/2007site/corphome.html#video

Intrepid

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2009, 03:28:33 am »
These guys CANUCKS need the carrier pack for some Carrier Landings eh:  ::)

http://www.aircombatzone.com/2007site/corphome.html#video

I have been there, Wicked experience, 8),I agree, the carrier pack would be a great addition
Randy

P.S. I am happy about the amount of activity on this site lately
thumbs up to all involved with this UPGRADE

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2009, 03:29:24 am »
Good post Spaz...

Thats almost to Naval Aviation museum quality.  Have you been to the flight sims there?  They took old Tomcat and Hornet cockpits and made some hella sims out there!  Alot of fun and realistic!

SpazSinbad

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2009, 03:49:09 am »
Sludge I'm in OZ (Australia) not likely to get to Canada anytime soon.  ???

sonofabeech

• sonofabeech is in the slot
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2009, 03:08:37 pm »
Am I right in saying that the reason the ball is stabilised is because the boat is rocking around the midship section close to the meatball where there is relatively little motion as opposed to the bow and the stern which are moving a lot in relation to sea level?
just curious to know if i am reading this right?
Simon"Sonofa"Beech
If you have use full afterburner to taxi to your parking spot it means that you landed with your gear up!!

SpazSinbad

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2009, 07:17:14 pm »
sonofabeech, I gather you refer to the real world as well as the flightsim? Can't comment how any mirror stabiisation is achieved in the flightsim - I have no idea. In real world what you are saying helps minimise the mirror stabilisation problem by having the mirror (almost) at the centre of the front and back going up and down, however.... Several of the online PDFs mentioned in related threads deal with this issue, I'll refer to them now and get back to an answer later. "Heave" is one aspect possibly not mentioned about ship movement including 'hogging' and 'sagging'. Heave is the up and down vertical motion as the carrier traverses swell for example, whilst the latter is caused by the metal bending in the sea state. Remember that a carrier is LONG with the effects you have described at front and back causing other secondary effects. One aspect perhaps forgotten is that it might seem that the movement of the ship is regular, when likely every now and then it is not; in an unanticipated way it will stop moving in a regular cycle to reverse what it is doing - SUDDENLY - just to make carrier landings that much more exciting....

Not to forget that the ship is rolling in the sea state that in itself is less 'predictable'. Imagine now how the glideslope is projected some distance from the ship in an ever expanding cone of light. Any movement at the source is exaggerated the further one is from that source. Mirror stabilisation helps minimise the 'far reaching effects' of any ship movement.  ;D  As Sludge says: 'later'.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 07:26:00 pm by SpazSinbad »

SpazSinbad

« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2009, 08:16:49 pm »
One particular online PDF (available from many websites) has a lot of explanatory information amongst a lot of info irrelevant to answering the question above but bear with me to read the text to get an idea of the 'carrier landing problem'. Other specific PDFs such as the LSO NATOPS MANUAL give more specific info with diagrams. However I'll post the material below because I think it is useful... [GS=GlideSlope]

REVIEW OF THE CARRIER APPROACH CRITERIA FOR CARRIER-BASED AIRCRAFT PHASE I; FINAL REPORT 2002

http://www.robertheffley.com/docs/HQs/NAVAIR_2002_71.pdf (2.8Mb)

Quotes below from pages 43-65 approximately:

"Stabilization
FLOLS stabilization is provided from signals from the ship’s stable element to provide a stabilized GS with respect to the horizon, under moving deck conditions. Two modes of stabilization are available:

a) Line Stabilization: Used as a backup, this mode stabilizes the FLOLS display for pitch and roll motions of the ship to maintain a predetermined line in space at the intersection of the FLOLS light plane and the true vertical plane through the centerline of the angled deck. This stabilizes GS without compensation for ship’s heave.

b) Inertial Stabilization: The inertial stabilization mode is the primary mode of operation  for the FLOLS. This mode adds compensation for ship's heave to the line stabilization."
&
THE CARRIER LANDING
The task of landing aircraft at sea on the pitching decks of CV’s has long been recognized as being among the most difficult of aviation's tasks. The environment is certainly among the most demanding encountered anywhere. Advances in technology, reflected in the engines, airframes, control systems, and displays have transformed the hazards. The operational challenge for the technologist is to further improve the safety of landing at sea while increasing the likelihood of successful arrestment on the first attempt.

Designing for CVS entails far more than merely landing on a small dynamic runway at sea.... Several  engineering constraints dominate the landing problem. The aircraft must land: 1) in the desired spot in order to engage a CDP, 2) with no lateral drift to stay within the landing area  during the run-out, 3) in the proper attitude to set the hook properly in the wires, 4) at an appropriate  speed so as to not overstress the arresting gear engine, and 5) within the sink rate limitations of the  landing gear. Additionally, the LSO wants to see the aircraft cross the fantail of the ship with a specified margin above the round-down to confidently avoid hitting the ramp ("H/R clearance"). Finally, the combination of flight condition and power response has to be such that full power can be rapidly achieved for successful waveoff or bolter.
&
Hook touchdown amidst the wires does not guarantee successful arrestment. Although the hook is heavy, the violence of impacting the deck at such speeds can cause the hook to bounce off of the deck and over any wires. Hydraulic or pneumatic actuators or dampers may resist this phenomenon, but the aircraft must still be close to the appropriate touchdown attitude for them to be effective.
"Hook-skip bolters" commonly result from a last-second nose-down correction intended to save an "over-powered at the ramp" condition. This “play” for the deck succeeds in guiding the aircraft into the wires, but lowers the attitude such that inadequate pressure is applied to the hook-point to  keep it low to the deck.
&
WOD is the vector addition of the natural wind, and the ship's forward velocity. The WOD is commonly  between 25 and 30 kt, thereby significantly lowering the closure rate an equal amount. This  represents a substantial decrease from the kinetic energy of the aircraft in the inertial reference frame.
&
The modern approach to an angled-deck carrier entails a stabilized GS at constant speed from no less than ½ mile aft of the ship to arrestment. The stabilized GS ensures satisfaction of the touchdown, drift, and H/R constraints.
Flying at a specified approach AOA (in lieu of speed) ensures that the aircraft is in the proper attitude for CDP engagement, and that the approach speed and sink rate are within bounds. Flying a specified approach AOA also provides the pilot and LSO with a consistent sight picture.
Consequently, every aircraft specific approach looks identical, regardless of its weight or external loading. From the LSO platform, or from the cockpit, the picture looks the same day-to-day, regardless of the other variables. Finally, the stabilized approach maintains a moderate nominal throttle setting, permitting fairly rapid response to MIL power in the event of either waveoff or bolter.

The landing task may be made more challenging by the presence of the ship's burble. The source of the burble is the interference of the structure of the ship with the relative wind, and its  influence is felt mainly in the last half mile of the approach to the ship. The ship structures that contribute  to burble are primarily the island, the bow of the flight deck, and the corner formed between the end  of the angle deck and the rest of the flight deck (the "crotch"). Burble consists of random, periodic,  and steady components. The random component is chiefly caused by turbulence in the lee of the ship's island structure. This turbulence is worse when WOD are predominantly aligned with the ship's centerline (axial winds), which place turbulence in the lee of the ship's island structure at the  in-close position of approaching aircraft. The periodic component of burble is associated, in part,  with the cyclic pitching motion of the ship. The steady components of burble consist of a reduction in the steady wind and a predominant upwash aft of the ship that are functions of the magnitude of the WOD, and the range from the ship....

Burble is not considered a major factor in routine shipboard operations, but rather an ever-present feature of the task. Pilots adapt quickly to each ship, subconsciously anticipating the aircraft's reaction to their nominal experience. In rare cases, such as naturally gusting surface winds or  large, rapid ship motion, the burble can have a dramatic effect on the pilot's ability to fly a precise approach. Safety of flight can quickly be compromised, which will result in either a higher accident rate or lower boarding rate.
&
PILOT PERSPECTIVE
The pilot is the most unpredictable component of the shipboard landing system. "Fatigue" means something completely different to the aircraft than it does for the pilot. The aircraft flies the  same on its 5th shipboard landing as it does 200 later. The aircraft does not care whether the sun is up or down. All of these issues, among others, profoundly affect pilot performance, and consequently system performance. Aircraft features and attributes can limit the variability of the performance of the pilot. This section addresses these topics beginning with the pilot as a multivariable sensor and feedback control system.
The human part of this pilot-aircraft system is limited in the ability to control multivariable problems. A human with sufficient control authority can control one dynamic variable very precisely, two variables precisely, three variables passably. The pilot’s performance deteriorates severely trying to simultaneously control more than three. Fortunately, the multiple constraints  of a CV landing are satisfied by the pilot's control of just three variables – GS, lineup, and AOA.  Pilot performance is affected by the allowable tolerance of the accepted deviations, the dynamics of the particular variable, the responsiveness of the aircraft to control inputs, the environmental  conditions, and the quality of the information used to determine GS, lineup, and AOA error. It is important to note that tactical Naval Aviators, in the context of CV landings, speak interchangeably about speed and AOA. Though they are reading AOA in their indicators, they refer to themselves as either "fast" or "slow"....

SENSORY INFORMATION
Since the pilot is trying to simultaneously close the loop on three states, the quality of the information provided is vital. GS is provided by the FLOLS that is stabilized in pitch and roll to compensate for pitch and roll movements of the ship. As every aircraft has a different H/E length, the lens is adjusted for each aircraft model, such that if the pilot maintains the central light in  the lens aligned with the reference lights ("datum"), the hook will touchdown midway between the second and third CDP. Because the GS information is displayed in a radial fan of light cells, the resolution of the vertical displacement from GS improves with the inverse of distance from the ship.
The centerline stripe and lights provide lineup information, as do the drop lights. AOA is provided internal to the cockpit in a variety of displays. These are the primary sources for the three  control states.
It is significant to note that GS, lineup, and AOA in and of themselves only provide displacement error. The best closed-loop performance is achieved feeding back error rates rather than displacement errors themselves. Error rates for GS and lineup can only be assessed by monitoring the change in the error over time. For example, a glance at the lens will identify one's location relative to the GS, but will not identify whether the error is increasing or decreasing. Periodic sampling over some finite time is required to discern whether the GS is improving. The same is true for the lineup. In darkness, LSOs contribute significantly in that they can usually detect  developing error rates before the pilot.
Heads-Up Displays (HUD’s), such as that found in F-14D and all F/A-18 models have dramatically transformed the landing problem. First, an Inertial Navigation System (INS)-driven velocity vector precisely displays the projected flightpath of the aircraft. Ashore, the velocity vector permits a  pilot to superimpose the symbology directly on the intended point of landing and achieve very precise results. At sea, since the ship is typically moving relative to the inertial frame, the velocity  vector does not reliably indicate the point of touchdown. It does, however, provide very precise rate information with respect to GS, with some small bias term. The typical habit for F-18 Hornet pilots is to place the Velocity Vector near the intersection of the decks (“crotch”) of the ship, and then gauge the GS trend. In doing this, the pilot is effectively leading the ship by placing the velocity vector at some point out in front of the wires where the ship and aircraft trajectories will  intersect.
This initial placement ensures that the flightpath will very nearly hold the aircraft on GS. The precision of the FPA data also means that the effect of an input correction is immediately assessed  in a variable that is very nearly GS rate (the state information necessary for the pilot to attain the elevated performance). As the aircraft approaches the in-close to at-the-ramp position, the velocity vector is allowed to drift aft to the point of touchdown. The fielding of HUD’s largely bears the responsibility for the improvement in boarding rate demonstrated by F-18 Hornets and F-14D model Tomcats over the aircraft that preceded them. One method to reduce pilot workload during the approach task is to improve pilot cueing. Because of the beneficial impact of HUD cueing on pilot  workload during the approach task, it is recommended that HUD considerations be a primary consideration in designing for the approach task.
&
LINEUP
Many of the historical carrier-based accidents are caused by lateral excursions from the landing  area during some part of either the landing rollout or a bolter. Since the most common foul-line excursions result in Class 'B' or 'C' (i.e., no loss of crew or aircraft) damage, and lack the  dramatic effect of a ramp strike, they do not receive the same attention. Moreover, if the aircraft lands  within the wires (within the acceptable GS error band), a successful landing is fairly insensitive to  errors in GS rate (sink rate). While the nominal sink rate of 14 fps is prescribed, aircraft loads are  certified to sink rates in excess of 20 fps. With respect to lineup, it is not sufficient that an aircraft  touchdown within a specified distance of the centerline; it is also vital that the aircraft touchdown with  little lateral drift to keep the wingtips within the bounds of the foul line throughout the rollout.  Carrier aviation has a lengthy history of aircraft touching down directly on centerline, but then impacting parked or taxiing aircraft with a wingtip during a rollout. For this reason, the backup LSO's  principal responsibility is to monitor the lineup of each approaching aircraft. As mentioned previously,  lineup control is significantly aggravated by the erosion of sensory information at night, requiring the  pilot to devote more attention to lineup to the detriment of the control of the other aircraft states.
&
Conclusion: The multiple constraints of CV landing are satisfied by the pilot's control of just  three variables - GS, lineup, and AOA. Addition of error rate information improves closed-loop performance. The best closed-loop performance is achieved feeding back error rates rather than displacement errors themselves."