Author Topic: Multiplayer Carrier Ops - Nimitz  (Read 62410 times)

Orion

Re: Multiplayer Carrier Ops - Nimitz
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2009, 04:35:11 am »
Not to double post and bump my thread, but here's an update:

I'm planning on getting some major work done on the mission this weekend, and I've got a few questions for you guys:

1. What time of day would you like? Morning? Evening? Noon? Night?
2. What kind of weather would you like? Clear skies? Rainy? Foggy? Windy?

Thanks,

Orion

P.S. Be sure to post any other comments or suggestions you have ;).

Light crosswind and evening, so you can get a mix of day/night traps.
I was thinking morning, since you'd have more time in the day, but I suppose the afternoon/evening would work too :P.  Shall the carrier move?

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2009, 05:47:34 am »
Half an hour before sunset if that is important would be good for time IMHO.

IF the carrier is moving then please have the wind direction coming straight down the angle. The ship moving forward will then replicate real world conditions with the approach pilot having to jink to the right constantly to stay on centreline (because the centerline is moving away [to the right] all the time) even though one starts on centreline it will move with the ship.

Having a fixed (non moving) ship requires the wind to come straight down the angle centreline. No one expects to have anything other than that (although in practice the actual wind direction might vary slightly). Remember mostly over water the wind is not so variable unless close to any effects from land nearby.

IF NIL wind and the carrier is moving then it is of course impossible to get a wind coming straight down the angle centreline but the ship captain will try his best to get it as close as. Landing with any kind of crosswind is very unnecessary IMHO.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 05:49:22 am by SpazSinbad »
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

neutrino

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2009, 01:59:40 pm »
Hi, I echo what SpazSinbad said. I'd like a time near sunset, maybe an hour as Spaz suggested so there is more daylight, and some clouds. More important is the wind for the carrier landings. It's direction should be as close to the true heading of the carrier as possible. The speed should be 35 knots minus the speed of the carrier, so that you have 35 knots wind over deck. If you decide to make the carrier move, the best speed is about 20-25 knots (so that it doesn't move too fast to the right as you land) and that would require only 10-15 knots of wind :) If the carrier is following waypoints and changing course, I guess there should be no wind at all, just make the carrier move at 30-35 knots.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 02:15:37 pm by neutrino »

SpazSinbad

• A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2009, 02:10:16 pm »
neutrino, may I emphasise that the wind should NOT be on the carrier heading. The angle of the deck is about 10 degrees (I'm just guessing for NIMITZ). The carrier will head slightly to starboard of the wind over the sea heading to create a combination of ship speed and wind speed with the two different headings combining to become as close to 'down the angled deck' as possible. It can be tricky to achieve with the carrier searching for that exact heading as close as possible before flight ops. For a slow carrier it will search for wind lanes to pick up a few extra knots of wind speed. I'm labouring this point because:

The carrier does not steam directly into the wind (despite what might be said in a shorthand way to describe something that perhaps is complicated to explain).

Aircraft need to cross the wake to go to the right of the wake to be anywhere near lining up for the angled deck centreline. Their down wind heading will be really for the angled deck but this is a minor thing. Note the ship heading during catapult, downwind is 180 degrees from that (then the fudge factor of angle deck can be subtracted). This will become important for a long up wind leg before turning downwind.

Anyway what I'm attempting to convey is that one must not forget the angled deck. It is not the same as the ship's heading. Aircraft fly in in relation to the angled deck.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 02:12:17 pm by SpazSinbad »

neutrino

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2009, 02:23:47 pm »
Spaz, I agree, the problem is that it is very difficult to nail the proper direction for the wind, because for example if you enter 5 degrees for the wind in the weather options screen, you get 15 degrees wind magnetic and about 359 true. So you obviously have 16 degrees of magnetic variation in that particular location, but where does the 5 degree come from ?!? It is neither true, nor magnetic.

But I totally agree - the direction of the wind must be down the angled deck, not the carrier carrier course.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 02:41:42 pm by neutrino »

SpazSinbad

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2009, 02:49:40 pm »
A lot of the fiddly setup things in Flight Simulator drive me bonkers! The wind would be one. Also if you are setting up a strong wind it is best to NOT have turbulence at low level. That really makes a carrier landing difficult and IMHO unrealistic. Yes there might be a 'burble' from the island close in but not like any turbulence will give you in FSX so I say 'have no turbulence'.

As for other weather settings, I'm all for enjoying the experience so 'clear weather no clouds' is fine by me.   ::)  Having the darkness coming on means that the lights will help a lot whilst still being able to see outlines of the carrier and other 'landmarks', rather than being in pitch black. No one will do a visual circuit in pitch black conditions (or cloud of course).

neutrino

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2009, 03:03:17 pm »
I actually prefer "light turbolence". It makes it more real, IMHO, you feel the movement through the air.

Pop

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2009, 03:39:14 pm »
Where is the JOOD when you need him! The Jood's job is to cal the ships hdg every 15 min to make sure the wind is down the deck! (good old E6B nav computer was used back when, but I think the ship's onboard computer does it now) ;)

SpazSinbad

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2009, 02:51:48 am »
neutrino, about the turbulence I would add that there should be no turbulence at low level because.... Wind over the sea unless a gale force is not turbulent as it might be over land, with all the objects / trees and such making turbulence; although usually around an airfield the clear space helps to make less turbulence. Probably once wind speed gets above 30 knots over an airfield it will inherit turbulence from further away that keeps all the low level air turbulent over the airfield. I realise this is a vague statement but I'm trying to contrast 'low level wind over land turbulence' compared to 'low level wind over the sea turbulence' - or the relative lack thereof of low level turbulence over the sea. Especially at lower levels there is nothing except swell and small waves to interfere with the smooth air. Of course in a storm that all changes.

Most large US carriers have 'the burble' (slight turbulence) in close near the ramp but it lasts for only a few seconds and in the great scheme of things becomes irrelevant if the pilot is flying the ball. Anticipating the effects of this burble can be treacherous, if for example a slight change in wind direction takes it away from the usual spot. Then if the pilot is anticipating putting on power (rather than flying the ball) he will be climbing in close for a bolter or something. Nothing substitutes for flying the ball - but I know youse all know that. :-)

neutrino

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2009, 02:04:09 pm »
Spaz, you got a point there about the tubolence above water, especially that you talk from personal experience... I never thought about it, but now I remember in one of the Blue Angles films, where the demo was both above ground and water (I think lake Michigan) and they said the air above the water was "like glass" unlike the air over the ground which was "bumpy"  ::)

SpazSinbad

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2009, 02:53:18 pm »
If the water is not 'glassy' then the moving ship (up and down) is equivalent to turbulent air on approach to a runway. OK? Enjoy!  :o 8) ::)

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2009, 07:50:07 pm »
Also, helicopters have to fly a bit differently when over water because of the lack of ground effect.   Even when landing on a ship, there is little to no ground effect to buffer.

Orion

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2009, 07:07:55 am »
Okay, update:

Did a test with a friend of mine and all multiplayer functions are working correctly ;D.  All I have to do now is add the carrier, reward(s), cameras and all the other little goodies ;).

Here are a couple fun screenshots that I took:

Orion
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 07:10:47 am by Orion »

Pop

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2009, 08:32:56 pm »
Is there a way to make the sector scan radar and "A" Scan look aft of the ship?  Also is there a instructions on all the "buttons" on the ATC  radar control window?
It could bre used in a Radar approach if it could be made to look aft! :)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 01:26:29 pm by Pop »

Pop

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2009, 01:37:23 pm »
anyone kn ow what the Nimitz's call sigh is??( ike, Abe, and GHWB as well) :-[