Author Topic: Pushback physics  (Read 1373 times)

Ifikratis

Pushback physics
« on: October 11, 2019, 07:50:00 pm »
Hi,

I just installed the latest GSX update, implementing many nodes in a pushback and I'm very glad and happy that Umberto is keep updating GSX. It has reached an amazing level and I am proud to be a customer.

However, I have some complains that have not been addressed so far and I would be glad to have a feedback regarding these. They have to do with the physics of the pushback. More precisely:

1) The tow bar push direction and speed are unrealistic at turns. Just watching the pushback in external view when doing turns, it seems almost certain that in real life the combination of angle and speed would certainly skid the nosewheel instead of turning the aircraft, if moving the aircraft at all.

2) The pushback track wheels turn in wrong directions during turns many times. They steer over one direction while the truck moves in another direction.

3) While the pushback accelerates realistically at the start of the pushback, it always stops very abruptly instead of decelerating to a complete stop.

I would be very interested to know if these issues are noted and if they are planed to be fixed. Looking at the pushback in external view certainly does not seem to be a realistic physics simulation to me.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Pushback physics
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 08:02:29 pm »
Everything is noted, everything is planned to be fixed.

However, about point #1, the real issue is that, if we "fixed" the physic, it would mean adding additional constraints, for example not allow to exceed a certain steering angle. And this will result in pushback that were possible BEFORE, suddenly becoming impossible, and many users would then mistakenly assume the "fixed" physic break the pushback logic "because it worked fine before"

Point #2 about the wheels, is not so simple ( as usual ) and wheels are not turning in the "wrong" direction. In real life, some tow trucks can work in 3 different modes:

- Rear traction with front turning wheels (like a car), when they go around the airport.

- Full traction with front turning wheels, when pushing in some conditions.

- Four wheel steering, when pushing, if required.

So yes, we would like to simulate all of that in a future update.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 08:05:47 pm by virtuali »

Ifikratis

Re: Pushback physics
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 11:00:44 pm »
Thanks for the reply Umberto and thanks for acknowledging the issues. It is very hopeful that you will look into these.

To me, and I am sure to most people, it is more important the pushback physics to look realistic than to be able to perform a tight but impossible in real life pushback.

So, I would rather not do pushbacks that GSX did "before" as long as they look and feel right. I hope you'll consider this view as your goal is ultimate realism.