Author Topic: GSX Update has deleted my Sound batch file  (Read 2107 times)

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
GSX Update has deleted my Sound batch file
« on: September 12, 2019, 01:28:49 pm »
After running FSDT Update I launched a batch file located in the GSX\Sounds folder to copy alternative sound sets as I prefer those to the originals. But it has been deleted by the update process! Not happy. Why do you delete all files instead of just those you install?
Cheers,
Ray.

P3Dv5.3HF2, i9-13900K @ 5.5Ghz, RTX4090, 32Gb RAM, 4Tb Crucial T700 NVMe SSD, BenQ 32” 30Hz monitor at 3840*2160 with VSync.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX Update has deleted my Sound batch file
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 02:06:16 pm »
Why do you delete all files instead of just those you install?

Because it's the only way to be sure something extraneous is not interfering with our files. As explained several times in the forum, if you really know what you are doing, you can protect a folder from updating by creating an empty file with this name

DONTUPDATE

It doesn't have to contain anything, even a file with 0 length will do, as long is named that way, and this will tell the Live Update to skip that folder.

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 02:54:05 pm »
Umberto, what is the highest level folder under Addon Manager I can place this bat file for it to remain after an update?
Cheers,
Ray.

P3Dv5.3HF2, i9-13900K @ 5.5Ghz, RTX4090, 32Gb RAM, 4Tb Crucial T700 NVMe SSD, BenQ 32” 30Hz monitor at 3840*2160 with VSync.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 03:02:15 pm »
Umberto, what is the highest level folder under Addon Manager I can place this bat file for it to remain after an update?

It's not recursive (but I'm not 100% sure of this), you must place a DONTUPDATE file on each separate folder you want to prevent updates.

However, in your case, I would do something entirely different, like this:

- Place your batch file in a totally separate place, like your Desktop or your Documents, eventually create a sub-folder for this job.

- Place the WAV files you want to replace in that sub-folder.

- Modify the batch file, so that it will copy the waves from your own place, to their destination.

This way, you can run the Live Update, and eventually run the batch file again, and be sure it will always work, without using any DONTUPDATE files.

Again, please be aware we might change *everything* at any time, even the whole folder structure, for example to support regional variations for voices, which is something we are planning for future updates, and that will likely change the structure of the sound folders quite a bit.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 03:03:46 pm by virtuali »

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 03:27:33 pm »
Thanks Umberto. Fortunately I have the alternative wav files in a separate drive so all I need to do is create the batch file there and drop a shortcut on my desktop.

Should you ever change the location of GSX\Sounds the only thing I need to change is the path in the batch file.
Cheers,
Ray.