Author Topic: GSX live update and p3d fullscreen optimization  (Read 4281 times)

ha5mvo

GSX live update and p3d fullscreen optimization
« on: July 22, 2019, 05:47:50 pm »
For a variety of reasons I choose to disable full screen optimization by ticking the checkbox in p3ds compatibility options. After running live update, however, this option gets unticked.
This is 100% reproducible on my machine and I read similar reports from others as well.

Why is it doing that, and more importantly , how can I circumvent this so the option will stay on?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX live update and p3d fullscreen optimization
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 03:17:33 pm »
Yes, of course this is done intentionally, to prevent user to set wrong compatibility options which are not default and would conflict with our software. The only option that is left untouched is the "Run As Administrator", that is left as it is but, everything else is set back to default after running the FSDT Live Update.

Since we don't release updates every day, if you *really* need that option ( and it would be helpful to know why ) to say enabled, just enabled it after doing a Live Update and, only do a Live Update after you get a notification of a new one.

ha5mvo

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 04:37:21 pm »
Ok, that's an acceptable workaround. Just wanted to be sure its really live updates doing.
As for why, well, since the latest major windows update I (and not only I) am getting an annoying flicker that I could not remove by using Vsync.
Apparently the only solution is either disabling tooltips (which I find handy as they sometimes carry additional information) or disable fullscreen optimization that *seems* to work as well.

Are you aware of any side effects that might be caused by ticking that option? so far I did not notice any.

RRVyper

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 07:01:31 pm »
Yes, of course this is done intentionally, to prevent user to set wrong compatibility options which are not default and would conflict with our software. The only option that is left untouched is the "Run As Administrator", that is left as it is but, everything else is set back to default after running the FSDT Live Update.

Since we don't release updates every day, if you *really* need that option ( and it would be helpful to know why ) to say enabled, just enabled it after doing a Live Update and, only do a Live Update after you get a notification of a new one.
Please add DISABLEDXMAXIMIZEDWINDOWEDMODE to the 'untouched' string data. As @ha5mvo points out, it is required by many (all?) using the latest Win10 build to eliminate the flicker when running P3D. /rant ON And you don't notice until after your scenario loads that it has been reset so it's frustrating to have to shut down P3D, wait for the process to end, reapply the checkmark (or run regedit) and restart the flight, especially if you are setting up for a flight at a specific time. Otherwise, a better option would be for the updater to check the registry key and warn the user if it finds an issue with their compatibility settings. /rant OFF

Randy

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 12:34:41 pm »
Please add DISABLEDXMAXIMIZEDWINDOWEDMODE to the 'untouched' string data.

Done.

RRVyper

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 12:40:40 pm »
Thanks, Umberto! Great support!

RRVyper

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 05:08:03 pm »
Please add DISABLEDXMAXIMIZEDWINDOWEDMODE to the 'untouched' string data.

Done.
Umberto, will this be pushed by the Live Update tool or will a reinstall be required? It is still removing the entry.  :(

Randy

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 11:47:02 am »
Umberto, will this be pushed by the Live Update tool or will a reinstall be required? It is still removing the entry. 

It was on Live Update the moment I posted it and no, it doesn't remove the entry anymore. I checked it again now, and it works fine.

RRVyper

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2019, 04:56:22 pm »
I just checked as well and running the FSDT Live Update still removes the checkmark in the 'Disable fullscreen optimizations' box. Both couatl updater programs are set to run as admin. I am using Windows 10 Build 1903.

https://i.imgur.com/mhvscay.jpg
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 05:35:40 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2019, 05:48:48 pm »
I can only repeat and confirm the Disable fullscreen optimizations option is not removed. Be sure your firewall is not blocking the Live Update and try again.

RRVyper

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2019, 07:18:05 pm »
I checked the firewall settings and all seemed OK. Besides, the updater has always worked in updating the other GSX files. Anyway, I ran it again and noticed it has now updated the Couatl_Updater2.exe file (Modified Date/Time 2019-07-31 12:05 PM) and is no longer removing the checkmark so maybe it just took a little longer to propagate to the server. Anyway, all is now good.
Thanks, Umberto.

Randy

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2019, 10:14:52 pm »
it has now updated the Couatl_Updater2.exe file (Modified Date/Time 2019-07-31 12:05 PM) and is no longer removing the checkmark so maybe it just took a little longer to propagate to the server

That might be, Cloudflare has more than 170 servers, sometimes some of them might get stuck with outdated files.