Author Topic: Passengers animations and CTRL+J jetways  (Read 2787 times)

jgoggi

Passengers animations and CTRL+J jetways
« on: June 09, 2019, 03:41:51 pm »
Hi, I have some Flytampa airports, namely Vienna and Athens, where I keep the default CTRL+J jetways. I have GSX v2 but when boarding and deboarding, there are no passengers animations, even if I can hear them walking. The jetways are seen by GSX (and considered as BGL jetways) and can even be activated inside the GSX popup  menu (key #6).
So are GSX 2 passengers animations not compatible with CTRL+J jetways?
Thanks.
James
James Goggi

arwasairl

Re: Passengers animations and CTRL+J jetways
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 04:33:16 pm »
I believe so. GSX2 only uses SODE jetways to animate passengers. What you ca do is to create an exclude file so it removes the BGL jetway, or edit the AFCAD of the airport so it has no jetways then add SODE jetways using GSX2.
Aaron Kim

jgoggi

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 05:27:03 pm »
Unfortunately I can't use GSX2 jetways, because they cause a stutter on final when they are loaded and my system is not very powerful...
James Goggi

Beat578

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 08:30:55 pm »
Then you wont be able to see the passengers. They need the sode jetways. If your system already stutters with the jetways i am not sure if it could handle passengers aniway...
Beat578

jgoggi

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 03:41:00 pm »
It can handle passengers and there is only one stutter when the jetways are loaded, but, since this happens most of the times during the final approach, it's quite annoying...
James Goggi

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 03:43:29 pm »
It can handle passengers and there is only one stutter when the jetways are loaded, but, since this happens most of the times during the final approach, it's quite annoying...

The jetways are loaded about 3 NM outside the airport, which is usually the safest smaller distance between two airports so, that range has been carefully chosen to be sure you don't load ALSO jetways from a nearby airport, which would double the pause.

jgoggi

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 05:26:33 pm »
Hi Umberto, I am sure that there are no other airports around, and unfortunately in my system the stutter is caused by the loading of 10-15 GSX2 jetways in a single airport. So couldn't be possible to increase that distance to say 10 Nm, even if it is still annoying because the airplane could already be on the ILS, but anyway better than on final?
James Goggi

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 12:37:49 pm »
Hi Umberto, I am sure that there are no other airports around

That's not what I've said.

I said that, if you had another airport nearby AND we didn't choose the 3NM distance to load jetways, stuttering (and memory occupation and frame rate too) would have been WORSE, because we would have to load jetways for two airports at the same time.

But the stuttering while loading would have happened earlier, maybe not during "final" approach, but it would have happened nevertheless.

What I was trying to say, there's no way to remove the pause on loading, because that's the way the simulator works: Simobjects are loaded this way, while other scenery files are loaded in the background and in multi-threading, but it's just not possible to do custom jetways other than with Simobjects.

The only thing that we can choose, is WHEN to have the inevitable pause, and that's why we choose the 3NM distance, to be sure it won't be even worse, in case of close airports.

jgoggi

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 04:55:15 pm »
Thanks for the explanation. Is the stutter experienced even with a fast SSD drive?
James Goggi

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 05:03:55 pm »
Thanks for the explanation. Is the stutter experienced even with a fast SSD drive?

The faster the driver, the better is, but it won't go ever away entirely, unless LM would find a way to load Simobjects in multi-threading, without stalling the sim.