Author Topic: GSX v2 crashes on Exit - kernelbase.dll  (Read 5587 times)

Nyxx

GSX v2 crashes on Exit - kernelbase.dll
« on: May 22, 2019, 11:27:31 am »
With W7

P3D v 4.4 I saw when I went into "view reliable history" every single time P3D closed upon closing I got the same "Crash" report.

So with the new HF1 for 4.5, I wiped 4.4 off PC along with everything. To start completely from new.

These are the steps I did.

Installed Orbx Global/OLC/some of there airports/libs, after every single one, one by one, I opened P3D and close it, looked at "view reliable history", nothing.

Then I set about installing all my airport.
After every single one I would open P3D close it "view reliable history" check for a "crash" on exit, nothing.

Installed 25 airports one by one = nothing.

Installed GSXv2 opened P3D, closed p3D....BOOM! "view reliable history" = P3D "crash" kernelbase.dll

It's not "crashing" in flight but on close down of P3D.

I meticulously installed one thing at a time to get to the root of this on a completely fresh installed. GSXv2 seem not to close properly and making P3D report a "crash" on exit with kernelbase.dll.

Is there a way to stop this, please.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX v2 crashes on Exit - kernelbase.dll
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 11:55:21 am »
I meticulously installed one thing at a time to get to the root of this on a completely fresh installed. GSXv2 seem not to close properly and making P3D report a "crash" on exit with kernelbase.dll. Is there a way to stop this, please.

Doesn't happen here, and nobody else reported it so no, it's not GSX, but some kind of conflict with something else.

However, you said you use Windows 7, and you must understand that Windows 7 mainstream support ended in 2015 (4 years ago!), and in January 2020 Microsoft will stop supporting it entirely, not even with security updates.

Nobody at FSDT ever uses Windows 7 anymore, which means we cannot test, fix, or do anything else that happens with it. By January 2020, we'll prevent installing under Windows 7 entirely so, I suggest updating the OS as soon as possible, because we cannot support you if you run an unsupported OS.

Nyxx

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 12:45:23 pm »
Hi,
Well, it's not just me here is a link to the topic I saw with the exact same problem.
But he is also running with W7.
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/552280-p3dv44-crashes-on-exit-kernelbasedll-errors/

Probably no one is seeing it on your team because it's a W7 "problem" but like I said it's only when GSXv2 was installed.

Can you give any help to why this only happens on installing GSXv2 and any way to find a soluuion?
I will be getting a new PC later this year so W10 then.

Am not asking you to support W7 but a lot still use it and any help to stop the report would be welcome.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 12:52:02 pm »
Well, it's not just me here is a link to the topic I saw with the exact same problem. But he is also running with W7.

That's seems to confirm the issue.

Probably no one is seeing it on your team because it's a W7 "problem" but like I said it's only when GSXv2 was installed.

That's what I've said, in fact.

Can you give any help to why this only happens on installing GSXv2 and any way to find a soluuion?

We don't know. Most likely, some kind of C++ API call we need, which is not supported on Windows 7 anymore.

Am not asking you to support W7 but a lot still use it and any help to stop the report would be welcome.

Well, in fact you are asking to support Windows 7. Something that is becoming almost impossible for us today, 4 years after its mainstream support stopped.

part-time-punk

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 02:05:44 pm »
Hi,

I had a kernelbase.dll crash on Saturday.
I fixed it by running DDU in safe mode (https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html) then installing the latest driver for my video card.
Might not apply to you, but it fixed it for me.

Dave.

Nyxx

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 06:46:46 am »
I just had a thought, well it is 5am,
I down loaded GSX v2 from the GSXv2 page. I did not install GSXv1

Should I have done that first?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 08:47:52 am »

The installer is only one and it always installs both. I'm sorry but, if the issue is the usage of Windows 7, which seems confirmed, there's just nothing you can do.

It's really a big problem having a crash on exit ? It's not as if you are losing any data, and the OS should clean up open files in any case. Have you tried disabling RTT from the Addon Manager ? The previous user said he fixed it by reinstalling drivers, and RTT is a feature that relates to video drivers, since it calls DirectX directly, so you might want to try that.

Note that, in order to be effective, you must disable RTT, exit the sim (don't worry if you still have a crash the first exit), and restart it, since it's being read only on the next simulator restart. Note that, disabling RTT will lose you numbers on Jetways, and you won't be able to use most of the the upcoming PBR update if you disable it. So, assuming this is in fact the problem, you might decide it would be best living with the error message on exit, at list until you'll update the OS.

Nyxx

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 02:29:15 pm »

The installer is only one and it always installs both. I'm sorry but, if the issue is the usage of Windows 7, which seems confirmed, there's just nothing you can do.

It's really a big problem having a crash on exit ? It's not as if you are losing any data, and the OS should clean up open files in any case. Have you tried disabling RTT from the Addon Manager ? The previous user said he fixed it by reinstalling drivers, and RTT is a feature that relates to video drivers, since it calls DirectX directly, so you might want to try that.

Note that, in order to be effective, you must disable RTT, exit the sim (don't worry if you still have a crash the first exit), and restart it, since it's being read only on the next simulator restart. Note that, disabling RTT will lose you numbers on Jetways, and you won't be able to use most of the the upcoming PBR update if you disable it. So, assuming this is in fact the problem, you might decide it would be best living with the error message on exit, at list until you'll update the OS.

Thank you for your reply.
I had already done a DUU safe mode install of the latest drivers. I did try the RTT but it made no difference. Yes, I can live with it like you say its just a close down error. P3D has closed it still shows in task manager and when it goes from there then it triggers the report.
So yes I can live with that. I just hope as am really looking forward to your big update I don't get any in-game crasher. But we will have to wait and see.

David.

jonathan_f

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 07:23:41 am »
Hi Umberto,

I have this exact same problem which has plagued me for months. I also get kernelbase.dll crashes in flight which is even more annoying.

After trying everything to solve it, including re-installs of things and new drivers, and through trial and error discovered the issue only occurs when GSX is active, I finally saw this post, only to find in dismay that disabling RTT does not even fix the issue for me. And besides that, it's not a fix it's a workaround and also disables a bunch of useful functionality.

But "reading between the lines", what you are saying is that W7 users must upgrade to W10 in order not to have this issue, just because YOU or your team don't use W7 anymore. I find this to be a very dismissive attitude since it says on the GSX2 page at Simmarket that W7 is a supported platform:

"REQUIREMENTS

This is not a Stand-Alone product, the base GSX Product is required.
GSX Level 2 is compatible with FSX+SP2 minimum, or FSX+Acceleration Pack or FSX:Steam Edition, or any version of Lockheed Martin Prepar3D.
Prepar3D 4 is fully supported and it's strongly suggested.
Windows 10 or Windows 7/8, 32 and 64 bit editions are supported. "

Therefore it is reasonable for my expectation to be that if a software developer sells a product that he says it works on W7 then it should also be properly supported on that platform and the customer should not be dismissed with a "you have to upgrade" attitude. You are not selling GSX2 on a W10 only platform and it's ridiculous to tell your customers that they need to upgrade to stop a crash from occuring.

Umberto, your GSX product is really good and I love using it, and your support is always right up there. Please don't get extremely defensive at my post above, but if you are selling a product on a certain platform then you must support customers on that platform properly.

Jonathan

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 12:18:18 pm »
I have this exact same problem which has plagued me for months. I also get kernelbase.dll crashes in flight which is even more annoying.

The crashes in flight don't have anything to do with GSX. The issue related to GSX+Windows 7 is ONLY the crash on exit. Just because the name of the .dll is the same, doesn't mean it's the same problem.

But "reading between the lines", what you are saying is that W7 users must upgrade to W10 in order not to have this issue, just because YOU or your team don't use W7 anymore.

Not "between the lines". And it's not just "we" that said that: it's Microsoft which is saying that, each time you boot Windows 7:

I find this to be a very dismissive attitude since it says on the GSX2 page at Simmarket that W7 is a supported platform:

We already updated the GSX description page on our site to remove Windows 7, and asked Simmarket to update their description too.

You are not selling GSX2 on a W10 only platform and it's ridiculous to tell your customers that they need to upgrade to stop a crash from occuring.

Yes, we are now. But that's besides the point, of course, because you might have bought it when Windows 7 was still indicated as supported. Because, obviously, the end of support for Windows 7 is NOT something "we" control, but has been decided by Microsoft years ago. So, even if you might have purchased GSX when Windows 7 was still supported, that doesn't mean it won't follow the natural lifecycle of the OS.

Because, as I already explained so many times already, we haven't "decided" to stop supporting Windows 7. It just happened naturally, because some of the API in the Windows SDK we use might have been deprecated by Microsoft in the meantime, or they might just be bugged ON WINDOWS 7 ONLY and Microsoft might not care enough, considering the OS entered in a limited support state 5 years ago, and will be *totally* unsupported starting next January.

Using an unsupported OS it's your own decision, which comes with consequences, like not getting any updates, not even the security ones from the next January (and this is WAY more serious than the irrelevant crash on exit), and having application that will show issues, like the crash on exit.

PlatovGena

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 06:44:08 pm »
Yes, probably the easiest way to say that we no longer support this platform is to ask simmarket to remove W7 from support and turn away from the buyer of your product.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 11:48:32 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2019, 11:58:14 pm »
Yes, probably the easiest way to say that we no longer support this platform is to ask simmarket to remove W7 from support.

We already did that, both on our site and on Simmarket as well, since even there, GSX L2 lists Windows 8 as the minimum required OS. We forgot to update the description on Simarket for the base GSX, so that will be updated too. But that's not really the point because:

- It's not that GSX doesn't work on Windows 7, because it obviously does. There's only an error on exit.

- Not all users would be annoyed just the same by this minor issue which happens only on END OF LIFE operating system. You are using an OS which has been discontinued 4 years ago, and from January you won't even receive SECURITY updates, and you are worried of an meaningless message *after* the simulator has quit ? Get serious.

- You WILL update the OS sooner or later, for the above reason.

- Our products comes with a TRIAL version so, it's up to you do check how the product works on your outdated OS and if and how that minor issue really annoys you and, you can decide NOT to purchase, is *that* simple.

turn away from the buyer of your product

Then go tell Microsoft, who has made the same to your entire OS.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 11:59:45 pm by virtuali »

alihor

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2020, 12:24:31 pm »
Hi Umberto, and Hi forum readers
 I have this kernelbase.dll error (KB) on EXIT of P3D also on WIN7 and P3D V4.5
After having this error since nearly 8 month I installed again on a clean machine WIN7, P3D V4.5, ORBX sceneries, Active Sky, etc.
AND GSX L1+L2  v1.9.2.

The KB error still shows up after exiting P3D.

Btw.: GSX runs perfect, as to my short tests and I have two different GSX licenses.

Now I installed on another PC WIN10 and all the stuff above without GSX. On P3D exit NO ERROR !!.
Then I installed GSX on this sytem and the KB error shows up again.

Therefore I believe, that GSX is the reason for this trouble.

My system is WIN7 PRO and WIN10 PRO, Prepar3D_v4_Academic_4.5.14.34698, ActiveSky, GSX L1+L2, FSL A320, ORBX sceneries (Basic + Regions),

After completely new PC installations of WIN, drivers, P3D, etc. the errors came back!
I am at the end of my knowledge!

What can you recommend for additional trouble shooting and what information do you need more?
 I am an IT / PC expert.

thanks for your help
 Alhard
Regards
... Alhard
Simmer since 1980 with first non MS Versions.
3 PCs I-9 OC, WIN7-64 PRO, WIN10 PRO, 2 GraCards NVidia ,  5 Monitors/Touch
FS9, FSX-SP2, P3D-V4.5, X-Plane11, FSL A320

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2020, 12:37:59 pm »
After having this error since nearly 8 month I installed again on a clean machine WIN7, P3D V4.5, ORBX sceneries, Active Sky, etc. AND GSX L1+L2  v1.9.2.

The KB error still shows up after exiting P3D.

This is entirely normal. Windows 7, as been discussed quite extensively in this thread:

- Is not supported anymore by Microsoft

- Is not supported by GSX *Because* in order to keep supporting on the supported OS, we MUST keep updated our Windows SDK, which caused the loss of fully compatibility with Windows 7.

So no, the problem is NOT caused by GSX, but rather your usage of it on an unsupported OS. The product page indicates Windows 8.1 as the minimum supported OS, with a recommendation to use Windows 10, because that's the only OS we test it with it.

Just be happy your only issue is the otherwise completely harmless error on exit, which doesn't have any effect on the operations of the sim or the OS ( all memory used by an app is automatically reclaimed by the OS anyway, when the app exits ), but this can change at any time, and you might eventually find GSX will not even start in Windows 7, maybe after a future update.

So, the issue in Windows 7 won't be checked of fixed, because it's likely caused by something related to using newer Windows SDK that are not fully compatible with Windows 7 ( which is normal, since the OS is completely unsupported by MS now ), so even if we had the means to test it ( we don't, nobody here has used Windows 7 in years, and it's not even possible to buy a copy now ), we couldn't probably fix it anyway.

Under Windows 10, we don't have any reports of that crash on exit.