Author Topic: Banned from forum  (Read 9572 times)

speedbird217

Re: Banned from forum
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2019, 04:07:45 pm »
I can confirm that I get this message pretty much daily now. I clear cookies, it works while browsing a couple of topics and then it pops up again. Doesn't matter if I'm logged in or browsing as a guest.

It definitely is not contained to individual devices as this message appears on my personal PC, my iPad, my iPhone and my work laptop. I wasn't even logged in on some of them before, so I get it when accessing the site as Guest for the first time. It also happens with different browsers, I've tried Firefox, Safari and Chrome. Since I never had that issue before it does indeed suggest there is something going on with the Forum software causing this lately.

Andreasmb

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2019, 04:15:04 pm »
With OPERA browser and windows 10 1809 no problems from my side.

sw34669

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2019, 08:31:22 pm »
Version   Release Date   Revision Date
SMF 1.0   Sep 30, 2003   Dec 16, 2012
SMF 1.1   Dec 03, 2006   April 24, 2015
SMF 2.0   Jun 11, 2011   Nov 19, 2017
SMF 2.1   Nov 21, 2014   Mar 30, 2019

Is there possibly some incompatibility now between SMF1.1 and cloudflare as it came out in 2006 and was last revised 4 years ago.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2019, 11:41:31 pm »
looks like

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=564762.msg4004521#msg4004521

And of course, Post #14 from the OP concludes with :

Clearing the cache and cookies worked- many thanks.

glc100o

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2019, 04:46:58 am »
I discovered today the following. I use IE11, Edge on my PC and on my IPAD, I use  Safari. Again banned from forums. Delete cookie using IE 11 tools, reboot, still cannot access the forum with banned notice. Look again for a cookie using IE 11, confirm there is no cookie, yet I cannot access forum.

Go to my ipad, which also prohibits me from accessing the forum, find and  delete FSDT cookie and voila now I can access this forum on my PC as well as Safari. Why would having the FSDT cookie on my ipad, not on my PC,  ban me from using the forum on my PC? This makes no sense. Except that I use the IPAD connected to my home network, and my PC is connected to router directly via ethernet cable.  I do not know enough to understand or prevent this from happening.

Greg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2019, 11:26:24 am »
Why would having the FSDT cookie on my ipad, not on my PC,  ban me from using the forum on my PC? This makes no sense.

It's confirmed that Google Chrome shares cookies across devices, maybe Safari can share cookies with Edge under Windows as well, I have no idea but, fact you fixed this by removing the iPad cookies further proves the problem was always something local to your system, the iPad in this case.

Tino

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2019, 09:55:21 pm »
After countless days of troubleshooting with Umberto, I've finally found the culprit.

If you use a Google account with Chrome and have the “sync” option enabled, some cookies could get corrupted. For some odd reason, it was only FSDT cookies that this happened too.

In order to fix the banning issues, I had to clear all cookies and ensure every last bit of shared passwords, site data and history were deleted as well. Depending on how many devices you sync too, you will have to do this process on all of them.

This even happened with IE on a separate device, (As Umberto stated above), since the cookie is shared between systems with the sync feature. So, it won’t matter what browser you use until it’s deleted for good.

Thanks to Umberto for sticking with me and following through with the support.

sw34669

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2019, 02:17:53 pm »
A strange one indeed. I only use Firefox and dont sync anything between devices. A few days ago this problem vanished without me updating anything. Clearing cookies on each device 100% didnt work previously. My iphone, ipad, macbook and PC can now access the forum without errors.

Umberto, given security these days is very critical (GDPR) would it be an idea for you to update the forum software as recomended as the last updates for this version security wise were 4 years ago. https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=559497.0

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2019, 10:03:08 pm »
Umberto, given security these days is very critical (GDPR) would it be an idea for you to update the forum software as recomended as the last updates for this version security wise were 4 years ago

We'll surely update the forum software sooner or later, but we just cannot do anything else right now, other than releasing the GSX update and KORD V2. And, we won't risk having the forum down in the first weeks after the release of these two.

sw34669

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2019, 02:18:38 pm »
Umberto,
thanks for the reply, very understood gsx.new is the most important thing

have any of your new version animated minions got a kilt yet ?
   - Any outbound scheduled flight from Scotland will always contain at least 1-3 kilt wearers having had at least 5 units of alcohol (breakfast)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2019, 11:58:47 pm »
have any of your new version animated minions got a kilt yet ?  - Any outbound scheduled flight from Scotland will always contain at least 1-3 kilt wearers having had at least 5 units of alcohol (breakfast)

Nope, but our new Catering crew guy could probably do better if he reduced his beer intake.

Gabe777

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2019, 12:28:01 pm »
I have this problem with my Android tablet, using Chrome.

If I use Firefox, it's OK.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2019, 05:02:31 pm »
I have this problem with my Android tablet, using Chrome.

As I've said in one of my previous replies:

"It's confirmed that Google Chrome shares cookies across devices, maybe Safari can share cookies with Edge under Windows as well, I have no idea but, fact you fixed this by removing the iPad cookies further proves the problem was always something local to your system, the iPad in this case."