Author Topic: Forum issue  (Read 4008 times)

wsmeier

Forum issue
« on: April 24, 2019, 10:49:42 pm »
Hi Umberto:

I'm having an issue using the forum. After clicking through a number of topics, I get a message saying I'm banned from the forum. Clearing the fsdt cookies restores my access, but never for long. I can't imagine I'm actually banned; otherwise I probably wouldn't be able to get back in. And to my knowledge, I haven't misbehaved. Well, not here, anyway. Could you look into this, please?

Thanks!

Walter Meier

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Forum issue
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 10:51:18 pm »
Your account is surely not banned. It's likely you have a problem with cookies in your browser, which seems confirmed by the fact clearing cookies fixes it (which of course wouldn't have been possible if we really banned you).

Remove all cookies from fsdreamteam.com and restart the browser.

FLYFROMUTAH

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 11:00:09 pm »
I did that and had to change my password but at least I can see forum, thanks for the help.

mickham29

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 02:57:47 pm »
Hi I have the same issue I am banned whilst using microsoft edge,WIN10, but I can gain access whilst using Firefox.Unfortunately I cannot find out how to delete cookies in Edge

M.Hamilton

mickham29

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 03:04:41 pm »
Sorry.please ignore last post Issue resolved

srcooke

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 06:49:01 pm »
This has become a repeated problem for me in the last 24hr, never had issue prior to this.

I have setup to allow only session cookies and data in firefox, at least then closing the browser purges the data.
Regards
Stephen Cooke

wsmeier

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 07:16:57 pm »
Your account is surely not banned. It's likely you have a problem with cookies in your browser, which seems confirmed by the fact clearing cookies fixes it (which of course wouldn't have been possible if we really banned you).

Remove all cookies from fsdreamteam.com and restart the browser.

Thanks, Umberto.

I've done what you suggested but that hasn't prevented the issue from recurring. I can't point the finger at a specific action that triggers the banning. At the moment it seems quite random.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 11:49:49 pm »
I can only repeat and confirm the problem is surely related to cookies, and it's on your end. Multiple users that asked about this by email in the past few days, all confirmed that removing cookies from fsdreamteam.com from the browser, fixed their problem.

It's possible this might be another one of the usual very creative ways security products have a way of interfere with your system and, for some reason, decided to block or made invalid the cookie of our site.

Please follow my suggestion *to the letter*, which means removing all cookies from fsdreamteam.com. Not www.fsdreamteam.com, but *everything* from fsdreamteam.com, that's not the same thing.

As an alternative, try changing your password. Maybe there's some kind of new creative security related product out there, which "ban" your PC if you password doesn't look to be strong enough.

This is not anything we are doing on our site. It has been years since I had to ban someone.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 01:31:18 am by virtuali »

wsmeier

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 06:56:20 pm »
Thanks again, Umberto.

I'll follow your instructions if it happens again. I haven't been banned in a few days, so maybe my last clearing of cookies settled the issue for good.

bradl

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2019, 06:12:55 am »

Well, that was interesting.

I had the same thing happen to me: I was also banned from the forum, and had been for the past week (which I know wasn't anything I had done because I was fine on Friday, and hadn't touched a computer until Monday, in which I came on and was banned all the way until today).

The interesting part for me: I'm back on now, and I haven't cleared my cookies or anything. If anything, I've restarted my browser every day this week to the same effect: still being banned. Only today on a computer where I haven't restarted it in nearly a 2 weeks have I been able to get back onto the forum.

Regardless, it's working for me now, but wanted to report that something weird has been going on..

BL.

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2019, 06:27:57 pm »
 I'm also unable to access the forums on my PC regardless of browser. I have even tried with Edge which I NEVER use and it to shows as banned. Right now accessing via chrome on my phone which for months I was unable to do because of this same issue but now it works but on my PC it doesn't.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2019, 06:33:49 pm »
Right now accessing via chrome on my phone which for months I was unable to do because of this same issue but now it works but on my PC it doesn't.

Further proof the problem is not on the site itself, otherwise it wouldn't explain the different behavior on the different devices which, of course, is related to a problem with a local cookie, since each browser and each device has its own copy of the cookies.

See also this about a problem with Chrome not removing cookies even if you explicitly ask to do it:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/google/chrome-69-keeps-googles-cookies-after-you-clear-browser-data/