Author Topic: A suggestion for the updates feature  (Read 2189 times)

sddjd

A suggestion for the updates feature
« on: June 23, 2018, 02:54:42 am »
This is a request for some clarity when running the update to at LEAST let users know your utility plans to delete any non-stock files in the \scenery directory. I just ran the update today and it prompted me as to whether I wished to keep my own modified afcad or overwrite with a new one.

What the utility failed to note was that it would delete the custom .bgl files I placed in the \scenery folder that added custom p3d lighting to the aprons in my sim. Just prior to the update I was working on this file/testing in p3d. Minutes later I ran the update, re-launched my sim, and my files are gone.

Please don't modify files that aren't part of the scenery basic install.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: A suggestion for the updates feature
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 04:31:19 am »
Please don't modify files that aren't part of the scenery basic install

This is not possible to do automatically, because a "basic install" doesn't mean much if WE update the scenery, and this can happen both by changing files, but also by adding files AND removing files. Any of these operations would then create a new "basic install" so, the only thing that really works, is what the Live Update does now: synchronize your local scenery folders with the remote ones on the server, and this includes removing files which are not found to be part of the installation, like your own modifications.

Since 99% of user customizations are in the AFCAD, we made a special treatment for it, notifying of changes, giving the option to update or not and making a backup.

If you want to add a customization that is not an AFCAD, you have two options:

- Create a new scenery area, be sure it stays on top of the FSDT scenery, and put your files there, so you can be sure they won't be touched. This is the best solution, because it won't prevent getting updates for the FSDT scenery.

- Create a blank file named DONTUPDATE and place it in the FSDT \scenery folder, or any other folder the Live Update would manage, and this will prevent the Live Update to update files there. While you might be tempted to choose this option, because it might seem easier than create a separate Scenery Area, I suggest not using it, because it will prevent you from getting updates for that scenery.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 04:58:53 am by virtuali »

sddjd

Re: A suggestion for the updates feature
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 04:58:06 am »
Hi V, thanks for the reply. I understand the explanation and appreciate you taking the time to post it here. Will definitely keep this in mind moving ahead  8)