Author Topic: GSX and Couatl Problems in Win10 & FSX:SE **SOLVED**  (Read 1959 times)

Rupert61

GSX and Couatl Problems in Win10 & FSX:SE **SOLVED**
« on: December 19, 2017, 12:18:30 am »
I run FSX:SE via SIMstarterNG on a new PC which has never had boxed edition installed. Win10 is at Build1709: fully updated.
GSX Services ran very well until two weeks ago and I cannot find the cause of the failure. I can see menu options (deboard, fuel, boarding) but when selected I receive a Couatl failure message and I am advised to run the sa-addonmanager. After doing so - still the same problem.
I have researched many posts on this forum and tried/checked many suggestions but have found nothing which works for my installation.
I've attached two log files (before and after a fresh and clean re-install of GSX) and would welcome a considered view on what is causing the failure and how I might resolve matters.
Thank you and regards, Rupert
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 11:06:49 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX and Couatl Problems in Win10 & FSX:SE
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 12:28:17 am »
I run FSX:SE via SIMstarterNG

That's likely your problem.

GSX must add its own SimobjectPaths configuration line to the FSX.CFG, that tells the sim where its objects are located, and is no different than any other product out there that use its own folder for Simobjects (like SODE, MyTraffic, UT2, etc.).

This is done at install time but, if you are using SIMstarterNG to switch between different FSX.CFG files, you must be sure ALL of them has been created AFTER installing GSX. Same for every other product out there that adds its own objects, they will all fail, if you use SIMstarterNG to switch to a different FSX.CFG file, one that was created before *they* were installed.

Surprised to know that a product which does something potentially very dangerous, like shifting between different FSX.CFG files, doesn't have a feature to recognize automatically changes to the SimobjectPaths lines made by installers without keeping them in sync with its other backup configurations.

Rupert61

Re: GSX and Couatl Problems in Win10 & FSX:SE *SOLVED*
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 11:48:28 pm »
Thank you - SOLVED.
It was indeed my settings for SODE in the SIMstarterNG configuration which were wrong. It was my fault - I had mistakenly disabled a setting without noticing. Everything worked when reset to what it was originally.
I can also say that SIMstarterNG DOES automatically recognise changes to the SimobjectPath but, in my ignorance of the changed setting, I was not responding properly when reinstalling GSX.
I've learned from this and I am very grateful for your most helpful response and explanation.
Very many thanks
Rupert