Author Topic: HELP!!! Zurich made FS9 unuseable!!  (Read 3989 times)

bucifan

HELP!!! Zurich made FS9 unuseable!!
« on: November 19, 2007, 02:48:32 am »
I downloaded and installed Zurich 1.2 to try out before buying. I had just used FS right before and it was working ok. Installed Zurich and went to start up FS again. It shows the splash screen and starts loading but before getting to the menus, it crashes to desktop with no messages. I uninstalled Zurich, uninstalled my other Cloud 9 products, and removed the bglman files from the module folder, and even removed the folders where the programs were. So basicly I have no Zurich or Cloud 9 products installed and still FS will not load. As I said it worked 3 minutes before installing Zurich. I hope you have suggestions!! What files or other areas does your installer affect?

This is why I hate auto-installers. I would rather take a few more minutes and place the file & folders myself, then let some program start manipulating files in a working application. Then at least I know where to go and start looking!

Rick
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 02:04:58 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: HELP!!! Zurich made FS9 unuseable!!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 02:06:46 pm »
I uninstalled Zurich, uninstalled my other Cloud 9 products, and removed the bglman files from the module folder, and even removed the folders where the programs were.

The 1.2 (and 1.1) uninstaller has an option at the end that asks if you want to remove the Addon Manager, and it delete automatically the folders where the product is. No need to manually do anything.

However, if you manually removed bglman.dll from the modules folder (there's no need to remove anything else, this is the ONLY file that is loaded at start), it is like if Zurich has never been there. No other files are involved so, if your FS doesn't start, it's nothing related to Zurich, or Cloud9 products, and it must been something else. I'm assuming of course that your really removed bglman.dll.

As I've said, there's no need to manually do anything, uninstalling using the standard Uninstaller from the Control Panel, and replying Yes to the question about wanting to remove the Addon Manager, equals to a total uninstallation.

What files or other areas does your installer affect?

None. Just bglman.dll is added to the modules folder. If this one is removed, there's nothing else that gets loaded at start.

Even if you left other files in, nothing will change because no program will load them.  Scenery.cfg is modified to add the area for Zurich, which of course the Uninstaller removes, but there's no way FS would be prevented to start due to a problem in scenery.cfg, the worse it can happen, is that FS warns of a missing area, should the Uninstaller for any reason fail to remove the area.

This is why I hate auto-installers. I would rather take a few more minutes and place the file & folders myself, then let some program start manipulating files in a working application. Then at least I know where to go and start looking!

Before hating auto-installers, that are the only thing that makes sense to do, you should start using them first: you just did manually something that was entirely redundant (manually removing files), that is already taken care by the uninstaller automatically, starting with version 1.1 of Zurich.

So, if you really removed *just* bglman.dll from the modules folder, and nothing else crucial for FS to start by mistake, it's 100% sure that, if FS still doesn't start now, it's nothing related to any of our prouducts. So please, try to be absolutely sure of this first, than we can start figuring out what's wrong with your system that didn't worked with Zurich in the first place.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 02:08:23 pm by virtuali »