Author Topic: Sideways KLAX  (Read 6224 times)

davidbr22

Sideways KLAX
« on: December 08, 2016, 11:30:54 pm »
On arrival at KLAX I was greeted with 2 images. First was the normal KLAX scenery and in it, was a sideways image of the scenery. See Attached image.
This has happened before and I would like to know why and a resolution please.
Thanks,
Dave

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Sideways KLAX
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 12:14:23 am »
See Attached image. This has happened before and I would like to know why and a resolution please.

There's no attached image in your post, only the log, which doesn't show any problems. From your description, it seems you have something similar to this ?

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6021.0.html

See the reply to that post, which still applies: it's surely a video driver or video memory corruption problem, we surely don't control or try to control the rotation of such objects, it's all happening entirely inside the sim.

If it's FSX, be sure you have the HIGHMEMFIX tweak enabled.

If that doesn't fix it, try to reset your FSX.CFG to default, by removing (or moving in a different folder, so you have a copy) the %APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX\FSX.CFG, so it will be rebuilt with all default settings on the next restart.

Then, be sure you enable the HIGHMEMFIX, save it and restart it again.

davidbr22

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 09:43:48 pm »
Sorry for the long delay. OK, well, I had highmem in my config. I uninstalled everything including FSX and this time after installing FSX, except for the highmem fix I left the rest of the config file at default. Installed GSX and KLAX only (I have 3 sceneries -KLAX, KJFK, PHNL).  I used the tweeks in addon manager before, but not this time.  So, I have a fresh FSX, fresh KLAX, GTX and a virgin config with highmem fix only. Further, after installing KLAX I did not update the afcad. Then I began testing. For EDDF to KLAX and EGLL to KLAX, both would crash FSX when I got within 30 to 45 minutes of KLAX. With KLAX disabled, no problems at all ( 3 flights from each just to be sure).  So I unistalled KLAX, reinstalled and this time updated KLAX afcad. It didn't crash, but I did have the vertical image of KLAX on arrival. Then I removed the KLAX AP.bgl.(date).BAK from the KLAX Scenery folder, and everything at this point is fine. In theory, the bak file should not be interfering at all, but obviously it does.  I can see there could be a problem if the disk was defragged, but it wasn't.  In summation --- not updating the KLAX afcad will cause FSX to crash. Not removing the bak file will cause KLAX to have a vertical image on landing, but not if you just warp to the airport or start at the airport. It only happens when you fly to it.  None of this make any sense to me at all. Now, I'm gradually adding one tweek at a time from the addon manager to see what happens next.
So --- WTF ????
Dave

PS --- on approach the runways have very, very poor definition. It's a grey slab with no markings until you kand and then the markings will show about a 1/4 of the way down the runway.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 09:47:15 pm by davidbr22 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 09:42:58 am »
Installed GSX and KLAX only (I have 3 sceneries -KLAX, KJFK, PHNL).

Since the problem didn't had anything to do with the sceneries, this was a wasted effort.

For EDDF to KLAX and EGLL to KLAX, both would crash FSX when I got within 30 to 45 minutes of KLAX

This clearly and finally proves KLAX doesn't have anything to do with this. NOTHING of the scenery is loaded that far. The scenery loading range is about 15 NM. We don't load anything beyond that range.

With KLAX disabled, no problems at all ( 3 flights from each just to be sure).

So I unistalled KLAX, reinstalled and this time updated KLAX afcad. It didn't crash, but I did have the vertical image of KLAX on arrival.

I'll explain why you can be EASILY MISLEAD into thinking KLAX is the problem ( but it isn't ), which seems "logical", but it's not, if you know all the facts.

This, combined with the fact you said the crash happens far away from KLAX and it changes behavior depending on the AFCAD, it's possible this might be related to an AI airplane.

A missing/corrupted AI texture, or an installed AI plane which was originally made for FS9, might easily:

- Crash the sim

- Cause bugs in the video driver, which results in vertical image.

Of course, any change to the AFCAD (removing it, or changing it) WILL effect the present AI, because of the different parking number and assignments so, if by changing/removing the AFCAD, you got rid of the offending AI, you might very well mislead into thinking the AFCAD has a problem, when it's not the case.

What kind of AI you have ? Have you tried switching AI traffic to 0% and restart the sim ?

PS --- on approach the runways have very, very poor definition. It's a grey slab with no markings until you kand and then the markings will show about a 1/4 of the way down the runway.

Another problem that doesn't have anything to do with KLAX, but it's the result of wrong video settings, which affects *every* FSX scenery with a custom runway texture.

Use the option in the video card Control Panel, to Enable (eventually override or "enhance") Anisotropic Filtering, and set it to 16x.

And, of course, be sure you enable 4K HD textures, which is the resolution KLAX was designed for.

davidbr22

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 04:47:09 pm »
While I understand how the original AFCAD would have an AI plane with bad textures and would cause FSX to crash and updating the AFCAD eliminate the problem, I don't understand why leaving the bak file in the KLAX scenery folder causes a vertical image of KLAX. I remove the bak file, no vertical image. I put it back in the scenery folder, I get the vertical image of KLAX.  I've done this about 4 times now. With bak file in folder --- vertical KLAX --- remove it ---- problem solved. That's what really confuses me. Also I had anisotropic filtering at 4x, moved it to 16x and 4096 is in my config. The AI program is Traffic 360 (horrible). Like I said, the problem is solved but the BAK file thing does not make sense. It's not supposed to read that file.
Dave

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 10:47:02 am »
Like I said, the problem is solved but the BAK file thing does not make sense. It's not supposed to read that file.

No, it doesn't, I can't see how FSX could read a .BAK file and, we always create a .BAK file when updating the AFCAD, but if this was the problem, we should have hundreds if not thousands of similar reports by now, not just a couple in years the scenery has been out.

davidbr22

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 04:04:46 pm »
Ok, thanks.
Dave

dedeeymard

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 10:57:32 am »
Like I said, the problem is solved but the BAK file thing does not make sense. It's not supposed to read that file.

No, it doesn't, I can't see how FSX could read a .BAK file and, we always create a .BAK file when updating the AFCAD, but if this was the problem, we should have hundreds if not thousands of similar reports by now, not just a couple in years the scenery has been out.

Hi gentlemen
I add a picture of what it's suppose to be a beautiful ADD-on of KLAX,may be you have an idea to repare that?
Best regards
Andre

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 01:05:47 am »
 What is your system specs and video settings? LAX looks like it does because of your PC.

davidbr22

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 02:50:55 am »
When I first posted I was using FSX Gold. I've switched to FSX Se V10.After installing GSX, KLAX, KJFK V2 and Phnl --- I had the identical problem with no add-on's and no traffic. Uninstalled everything, deleted all folders (Virtuali) and reinstalled. On first re-install, I installed KJFk, checked, no problems. Then I installed KLAX and got a message that said KLAX and KJFK (which was ok) were outdated, install the new Addon Manager. I checked KLAX and KJFk and it looked identical to the other gentleman's picture that Dave-VVR posted it was his computer.  Uninstalled, deleted folders, installed GSX. Downloaded and installed KJFK, KLAX, PHNL and no problem. Checked KLAX on a short flight, this time there are vertical ladders at both ends of the scenery (see jpg). Uninstalled GSX and ladders go away, Reinstalled GSX, ladders back. Did this 4 times. So, what now ?
Dave

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 10:09:19 am »
It's not possible that installing GSX would cause these graphic errors, and uninstalling would "fix" them, since GSX doesn't do anything unless you call it at a gate.

I can only repeat my previous reply which I posted above:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,14659.msg107452.html#msg107452

davidbr22

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 05:43:11 pm »
I have had the scenery for some time. It worked perfectly until the update in December. Since then. it's either a sideways KLAX or the ladder effect. I find it difficult to believe that a scenery that worked perfectly for months, with the same video settings, same computer, same OS would suddenly have a problem with the hardware after an update. Your other scenery, KJFK V2 and Hawaii are not a problem and I assume use a lot of the same textures. This is a different version of FSX since the post in December. The odds of it being FSX related are so remote it's laughable. So what's the problem with the scenery ? What happened after it was updated that could cause this ? Why did it work perfectly for months until the update in December ? Will you help me resolve the problem ?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2017, 09:33:42 pm »
What happened after it was updated that could cause this ? Why did it work perfectly for months until the update in December ?

What December update ? KLAX hasn't been updated, at all. W

We only updated GSX in December, with a new fuel system and, as you said yourself, since the other FSDT sceneries don't have this problem, it's obvious the GSX update could not affect a scenery that hasn't been updated too.

Haven't you said that, removing all .BAK files from the scenery folder fixed it ? I find it strange, but if it worked for you back then, try it.