Author Topic: Gate too small?  (Read 4380 times)

abh_jc_03

Gate too small?
« on: May 17, 2012, 03:49:43 pm »
I flew into flytampa KTPA yesterday with my LDS 767 and when I asked atc to taxi to the gate I had no options so I asked gsx for a gate and they said the gates were all too small. I read on Tampa website that the 767 is a common aircraft at the airport.  Will there be a fix to this or am I going to have to fly my md80 instead?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Gate too small?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 04:26:23 pm »
This has been discussed many times on the forum: there's nothing to fix in GSX, which simply reads the AFCAD parking radius and compares with your airplane wingspan. If the radius is smaller than half of your wingspan, the parking is considered too small. This is exactly the same standard FSX applies for AI airplanes.

GSX can't obviously know if the parking is really small and doesn't grant enough space around (so you are really not supposed to go there with that airplane), or is too small because of a scenery designer mistake so, it doesn't have any other choice than to trust the AFCAD.

This means, to "fix" this, you need to check the scenery AFCAD, and eventually correct it.

sierramike

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 01:01:35 am »
Seems to me a simple solution (yeah, right...simple!) might be to give the user the option to override the size limitation and live with any anomalies with vehicles running into buildings, etc. Place a warning so the user knows that that could happen and doesn't try to open a support ticket.

Just a thought. Might save a lot of AFCAD editing.

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 02:21:10 am »
 A four year old thread?  :)   It's actually far easier to just edit the afcad for the odd airport that has this issue, it's pretty simple.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 09:07:39 am »
Seems to me a simple solution (yeah, right...simple!) might be to give the user the option to override the size limitation

Which of course is there in GSX since many years. Maybe wasn't there 4 years ago when this thread started, but it has been added shortly thereafter.

It's the small "airplane" icon in the GSX parking customization page.

sticky1202

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 01:05:09 pm »
A quick question, when you change the parking radius from within GSX, how does that affect the AFCAD? Does it also change the radius for AI parking?

Jim ???

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 01:27:43 pm »
A quick question, when you change the parking radius from within GSX, how does that affect the AFCAD?

It doesn't affect the AFCAD, and that's the point of it: being able to control the GSX gate assignment (which affects only your own plane), without changing the AFCAD.

Does it also change the radius for AI parking?

Not at all, since the AIs will continue to read the AFCAD radius, which will be unchanged by the GSX editor. So you have the flexibility of change what you need to change, without one affecting the other. Perhaps, the scenery designer purposely made the AFCAD parking very small, to control or restrict in some way the AI.