Author Topic: GSX in a network  (Read 2262 times)

sisoffi

GSX in a network
« on: October 03, 2016, 11:46:53 am »
Good morning,
I'm using this wonderful for quite some time and I am really excited also the GSX continued product updates by the staff. Compliments!
Lately in my home cockpit I'm using a server-client multipc system via widetraffic that allows me to also use GSX in the various client controlled by the server.
The problem is that everything does not work perfectly, some cars and baggage jump on the ground, they disappear sometime and reappear magically, the mens and the marshaller not walk or do not perform the same movements of the server.
By now, even the latest versions P3D has released its full compatibility for multi computers in a network and I believe in the near future will also become a massive use multipc.

Do you think that in some future release, there will be full compatibility or maybe there already and I'm doing something wrong?

thank you,
Simone
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 08:48:12 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX in a network
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 09:05:14 am »
GSX doesn't have any awareness of running over a network so, if it even works, it's only thanks to what those products you are using, like Widetraffic. So, anything out of the ordinary, it's only related how well/bad these utilities work when synchronizing traffic.

The likely issue I see with this, is that utilities made to synchronize traffic over a network, might try to synchronizing standard basic variables used by AI planes, but GSX objects have many custom variables to control its own animations, which I doubt such utility would be aware of.

The issue is, even in the very unlikely case the utility you use would be upgraded to support ALL the GSX custom variables over the network, the performance costs might be an issue, since you would have much more data to transmit and, while AI planes might be optimized, by sending just their last heading/speed and have the AI on the client sort out the position using its own flight model, GSX objects are moved in an entirely custom way, so their exact position AND ALL their custom variables, should be transmitted for EACH FRAME, on the whole network, for each active object.

This would likely result in bad micro-stuttering, which would defy any advantage of using network to begin with, if you had to deal with bad fps and stuttering, you would be better using a single PC with several video cards (which I still believe it's the better option anyway).

sisoffi

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 09:35:51 am »
Hi Virtuali,

Use only one pc in one home cockpit system is not possible, only the 180° with 3 projector visual is already a formidable challenge for only one PC.

the bad microstutting is relative because speech still on the ground the plane is stopped and all the things necessary gsx do not have a negative impact to the starting.

In any case it well even though the little man drags his feet on the ground is not a big problem  :)
i keep gsx on server client via widetraffic without problems :)

Many thanks for your reply.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 09:56:13 am »
Use only one pc in one home cockpit system is not possible, only the 180° with 3 projector visual is already a formidable challenge for only one PC.

It surely possible with the most recent video cards, which are designed to support VR and/or 4K resolution, which is 4x more pixels than FullHD.

the bad microstutting is relative because speech still on the ground the plane is stopped and all the things necessary gsx do not have a negative impact to the starting.

They don't have any impact *because* they are NOT running on a network!

In any case it well even though the little man drags his feet on the ground is not a big problem  :)

Yes, that's an example of a custom animation. To support it, Widetraffic should transmit all such variables over the network, at each frame.

Yes, we MIGHT be able to do it, and maybe in a more efficient way, but we have such a LONG list of new improvements and features to work on, that will benefit all GSX users (not just cockpit builders), that I doubt we'll ever have the resources to explicitly support a network.