Author Topic: Moving PAX with GSX  (Read 2891 times)

WebMaximus

Moving PAX with GSX
« on: July 30, 2016, 12:15:48 pm »
I know this has been up for discussion before but just wanted to ask what the latest is on this topic...is there any chance we'll ever see moving PAX provided by GSX in the same manner as we already have catering carts, bags etc?

I realize this of course would drain resources but if there was an option for it you could choose for yourself if you want to see PAX boarding/deboarding or not depending on what system you're on and at what airport.

To me this would be one of the biggest things in FS history if we finally could see all the passengers we're pretending to fly all over the world and from a technical PoV I would like to think it wouldn't be much harder than showing how bags are loaded and driven away only that it would instead be simple human models driven away by a bus or disappearing after walking for a couple of meters into a connected jetway.

The day you invent this feature in GSX you will make it into the books of history Umberto :D
Richard Åsberg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Moving PAX with GSX
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 05:40:38 pm »
I know this has been up for discussion before but just wanted to ask what the latest is on this topic...is there any chance we'll ever see moving PAX provided by GSX in the same manner as we already have catering carts, bags etc?

This has been discussed so many times already. No chance to do them without:

- A 64 bit sim

- A sim that could support more bones per skinned object. The 22-max bones limit in FSX is greatly reducing our ability to do convincing human animations. And not just that, it's mostly the ability to use existing tools and libraries of animations.

The day you invent this feature in GSX you will make it into the books of history Umberto

We'll surely do, when the sim will allow it.

I don't think these limitations will stay with us forever. Surely, it won't be FSX, of course, which is more and more looking like FS9 did a while ago, but we expect the next major releases of the most used simulators ( LM and DTG ) will be 64 bit.

WebMaximus

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 05:45:16 pm »
OK, thanks for the info Umberto and I see what you mean. However IMHO even if the animations wouldn't be perfect I think pretty much anything looking at least a bit like a passenger would be better than nothing until we have the sims and tools required to model it in a better way.

Just look at the wingman in currect GSX for example or the catering and baggage guys. To me they look very good already in current versions of our simulators.
Richard Åsberg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 02:37:56 pm »
if the animations wouldn't be perfect I think pretty much anything looking at least a bit like a passenger would be better than nothing until we have the sims and tools required to model it in a better way.

Which, for us, would mean working twice: once to create the imperfect animation, and a second time to remade from scratch.

Just look at the wingman in currect GSX for example or the catering and baggage guys. To me they look very good already in current versions of our simulators.

That's not the issue. The issue is, the modern human animation tools/libraries we can use today, they all assume better skeleton models than FSX allows.

But it's not just an issue of "just" making the animations. To move a crowd of people, you need a crowd simulation too. Yes, of course we can do that, but there's no way you can move so many people, all at once, with the limited memory we have in FSX.

No, we don't want to add another thing that might crash the sim, so users would then start to thinking it was the CAUSE of their crashes, due to the other stuff they loaded the sim with.

WebMaximus

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 05:56:06 pm »
Oki doki
Richard Åsberg