Author Topic: Regarding Ground Traffic setting in Addon Manager  (Read 3285 times)

Anson Cheung

Regarding Ground Traffic setting in Addon Manager
« on: July 21, 2016, 07:55:02 am »
Hello all,

Yesterday I experienced OOM issue in the flight from KLAX to CYYZ. Although the departure airport seldom causes OOM, I still tried to disable "Ground Traffic" in Addon Manager. May I know what else ground traffic except apron vehicles will be disabled by this option? Are there animated train in this scenery actually? I am considering to tuen it back on

Anson

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Regarding Ground Traffic setting in Addon Manager
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 01:29:36 pm »
The Ground Traffic option in the Addon Manager controls only some animated cars/vehicles that moves around in FSDT airports.

There are not many of them and they won't be loaded if the airport is not loaded (which is usually from 10 to 15 NM out, depending on the scenery), so they won't take much memory (exactly zero, outside the airport range) and, even if they are loaded, their impact is negligible so, if you are getting OOMs, they won't be fixed by this.

Don't waste your time disabling these things, and especially anything related to our airports, which are very aggressively optimized to save VAS. If you are so close to memory exhaustion, your first areas of optimization should be (listing in order from the most impacting ones):

- The memory-hungry airplane you are probably using

- The scenery visual range (don't set it to Large)

- The AI Traffic Density

- The Autogen Density

- If you use FSX, try to enable DX10, which will save quite a bit of RAM, or use FSX:Steam Edition, which is better optimized.

Anson Cheung

Re: Regarding Ground Traffic setting in Addon Manager
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 03:06:26 pm »
Thanks for your reply which gives me great confidence in the quality of your sceneries.

In response to your suggestions, I fly PMDG777 have set:
- AI Density to ZERO
- [TERRAIN] AUTOGEN_DENSITY=3
- [SCENERY] IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=4
- LOD_RADIUS=4.5 (default)
- TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096

My settings are just moderate, I have no idea why I still experience OOM....The flight yesterday from KLAX to CYYZ was the only flight I have experienced OOM since I had followed the solution found and agreed by PMDG (not to select STAR during preflight stage which sometimes keeps increasing VAS usage in-flight, provided that the selected STAR has a specific missed approach procedure).