Author Topic: Level of detail radius oddity  (Read 4860 times)

nabeel

Level of detail radius oddity
« on: January 27, 2009, 03:11:40 am »
Something I've noticed...

With the level of detail radius on medium or high, buildings further away show, but the ones close by don't. You have to get up close to them in order for them to show.

It looks very odd on approach. But with the LOD set to small, it works fine and the buildings show as they're supposed to (close by show, further away don't).

See screenshots:

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Level of detail radius oddity
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 05:29:29 pm »
We don't check the scenery level of detail at all. The LOD used for the objects is based on the distance in pixels for an object, and is doesn't depend from the scenery range slider.

The scenery range slider controls only the radius of the VTP ground terrain outside the airports, it shouldn't affect 3d objects at all, even less considering we don't even draw buildings from BGL, but directly in C++, so that slider shouldn't have any effect.

I usually keep my scenery radius at Medium, and haven't notice the effect that you describe.

nabeel

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 05:30:37 pm »
Any idea why it might be happening? I had to put my radius at small in order for it not to show up that way, but I can run at large no problems. It's weird

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 09:28:49 pm »
Any idea why it might be happening?

If I had any idea on why it's happening, on your system only (because it doesn't happen here and nobody reported it before), I would already suggested a solution.

Try, JUST AS A TEST, to lower ALL your settings, especially traffic density and autogen, to see if it's your system that is overloaded because of too high settings, and can't even properly cope to Simconnect commands or scenery loading in general.