Author Topic: Help with video card settings needed  (Read 8205 times)

jimstiles

Help with video card settings needed
« on: August 04, 2015, 05:05:40 am »
Hello, I've purchased and installed the KDFW and KLAX airports from FSDreamTeam and most of it seems to be working well. I've noticed that my GSX services do not always allow me to choose my gate but will want me to choose from "Parking" areas most of the time. I'm sure this has something to do with my end but just can't figure out some of the small things.  I fly the default 737 most of the time, I've spent a lot of time just flying by the wire.  I just recently learned how to do an ILS landing, I've been flying MSFS for quite awhile but always took the easy way out, now that I've turned into a senior citizen, figured it was time I tried to learn some new things before time ran out. LOL

Anyway, I've got an older video card (nVidia GeForce GTX280), may be updating that soon but for now it's all I got. I've added the Aerosoft Airbus, Quality Wings 737 packages and the GSX package and KDFW and KLAX airports and can run them pretty smooth with only a slight jumpy motion when near a lot of scenery but it's not bad at all for this video card although I know I need a better one but I'll have to figure out a way of sneaking some of my social security money without my wife finding out to get one.

My question is, regarding this nVidia GeForce GTX280 and it's settings......I can get around in the settings with some good instructions even though I may not know what it is I'm setting.  Does anyone know how or if I should change any of the default settings in the video card control panel so that I can get the most out of it when using KDFW and KLAX and other FSX options?

I've found and set the Anisotropic Filtering and changed it to 16x but not able to find anything to set it to "Enhance".  I found a post that explained another video card but I wasn't able to find some of the settings they explained for it in mine. Could be it's just another name for it in mine.

Other than the GSX not helping me get to my gate and wanting to send me to "Parking" options (like I said, this could be me) and loosing the Yellow arrows that FSX lets me use to taxi to the gates disappearing as I taxi, everything else seems to work pretty good on this machine as it is, hopefully, a better video card will help me in the future.

Here are my specs:  Windows 7 Service Pack 1, Intel Core2 Quad CPU, 283GHz, 64-bit, 8GB memory, 640GB harddrive (not anywhere near half full)

If anyone familiar with this video card can give me any suggestions on settings, or the settings inside FSX, that would help me get the most out of what I've got, I'd sure appreciate it.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Help with video card settings needed
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 10:24:58 am »
I've found and set the Anisotropic Filtering and changed it to 16x but not able to find anything to set it to "Enhance".  I found a post that explained another video card but I wasn't able to find some of the settings they explained for it in mine.

The Anisotropic filter option might not contain a "Enhance" or "Force" application setting, depending on the driver release. Mine doesn't either, so I guess they simply changed the wording in later version and, when you set it to 16x, it DOES also "Enhance" the application setting.

Other than the GSX not helping me get to my gate and wanting to send me to "Parking" options (like I said, this could be me)

This is not very clear. Are you saying you only see a list with a single entry named "Parking" in a scenery ? Which scenery ? This could be simply a conflict caused by another AFCAD, so GSX is not seeing the proper one. You can check which AFCAD is used by GSX by selecting the parking customization option.

and loosing the Yellow arrows that FSX lets me use to taxi to the gates disappearing

This is normal at FSDT sceneries, due to the way the ground is made with native FSX material and shaders, which is not entirely compatible with the default progressive taxi feature. But since GSX offers a more realistic solution with the Follow Me car, this shouldn't be a problem.

jimstiles

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 05:22:46 pm »
Hello again, thanks for the information on the video card, I really appreciate the help.

On the GSX question, last night I landed my United 737 at KLAX on rwy 24R as instructed using ILS. When I landed and exited the rwy, I used the ATC to request parking to the gates and received a gate number, then requested the progressive taxi.

I then used ctrl-F12 to bring up the menu where I had two options, one to use the GSX the other to use Dallas/Ft Worth Airport option. I choose to use the GSX option but when the next window came up, it didn't give me any gate options, only "Parking, Parking 1, Parking 3", if I clicked on one of them, I would have the option to request the Follow-Me vehicle.
It didn't give me the option to choose the gate number that ATC had assigned.  I'm not sure where the parking customization option is or what to do when I find it but I'll see what I can do.

I usually use the Follow-Me vehicle but without the option to request it, I was using the progressive taxi yellow arrows last night but the kept disappearing, I finally found the gate by watching the pavement markings.

This morning, I flew the same plane, ILS into KDFW and landed at rwy 36L as instructed. Once on the ground and exiting the rwy, I selected "Taxi to Gates" from the ATC and received instructions to Gate Bravo30. I pulled up the ctrl-F12 menu and choose the GSX option again and again only had the option of "Parking", when
I clicked it, it gave me the choice of Parking 1, Parking 2, or Parking 3.  I had the progressive taxi for a little bit then it disappeared again, unable to request a Follow-Me vehicle to the assigned gate I was lucky to have a plane land right behind me that was given a gate just a few gates from where I was assigned
so I followed it, then found my gate number. Once parked at the gate, engines off and doors open, I didn't have any option to request ground services.

Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it.

Jim

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 10:42:46 pm »
I then used ctrl-F12 to bring up the menu where I had two options, one to use the GSX the other to use Dallas/Ft Worth Airport option.

Are you sure this was the case at KLAX, and not at KDFW (your other flight) ? It's not normal, shouldn't happen, and nobody ever reported before that you would see the KDFW YouControl menu at KLAX.

I choose to use the GSX option but when the next window came up, it didn't give me any gate options, only "Parking, Parking 1, Parking 3"

This is a problem, for sure. You should see the list of all gates at any airport, not just 3 parkings. Try to force a scenery cache rebuild, by removing the following folders:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\SceneryIndexes
C:\ProgramData\Virtuali\Couatl

Then launch FSX and wait both FSX and GSX regenerate their own cache.

jimstiles

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 10:56:52 pm »
Ok, just flew my CRJ departing KLAX, circling and coming back in to rwy 6L. I miss quoted what the first window said when pressing ctrl-F12, it gave two choices, the first was the GSX and the second was the Los Angeles Airport where the hanger doors are operated. this time when I clicked on the GSX, it brought up a list of the terminal numbers and a few other choices.  I'm pretty sure I got the "Parking" options as mentioned last night but I won't swear to it, I'll fly another couple of flights into KLAX tonight to see if it does it again or not since I've done what you suggested and deleted those two folders for the scenery cache.  Maybe that fixed the problem, hope so.

I know I got the "Parking" options at KDFW this morning as I wrote down what was happening as it happened this morning instead of relying on my memory but again, I'll retry it again tonight after deleting those folders and see what happens.

I'll post the results this evening for you.

Thanks again,

Jim

« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 11:26:56 pm by jimstiles »

jimstiles

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 11:37:56 pm »
Ok, couldn't wait till this evening as I mentioned in the last post, just took a quick flight out of and back into KDFW, upon exiting the rwy I received my gate number from ATC then pressed ctrl-F12, chose the GSX option and like this morning, it only showed "Parking" as the only option.  I clicked it and then it had three choices. Parking 1, Parking 2, and Parking 3, they were all occupied so I will have to try again to see what comes up after I pick an available one of the three.

I also tried to hit ctrl+shift+P and nothing happened at all.

Thanks
Jim

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 11:39:47 pm »
Please try again after you reset the scenery cache.

jimstiles

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 11:56:45 pm »
I just did prior to the last two quick flights, KLAX worked ok after I deleted the cache but still got the "Parking" options at KDFW. Also at KDFW I couldn't get anything to come up at all when I tried  Ctrl+Shift+P at all.

Thanks
Jim

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 12:00:23 am »
Also at KDFW I couldn't get anything to come up at all when I tried  Ctrl+Shift+P at all.

Nothing is supposed to come with Ctrl+Shift+P, the old "ParkMe" feature is obsolete, because everything it did it's integrated in GSX, so you only use GSX and the ParkMe program will be disabled when installing GSX.

jimstiles

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 12:13:20 am »
Ok, gotch ya, it's still in the manual so I thought it was operational. I guess deleting those scenery cache folders fixed the "Parking" issue at KLAX, I just tried it again and got the list of gates but KDFW is still giving me just the "Parking" option with no gates listed.

Thanks
Jim

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 12:14:57 am »
I guess deleting those scenery cache folders fixed the "Parking" issue at KLAX, I just tried it again and got the list of gates but KDFW is still giving me just the "Parking" option with no gates listed.

Check which AFCAD is in use at KDFW, using the GSX customize airport positions menu option.

jimstiles

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 12:39:23 am »
Ok, I just started FSX from the beginning three different times to make sure I was doing it correctly. Once started, I chose KDFW as the departure airport and clicked ready to fly. When it started I clicked on the addons and chose the one you told me to look in.  When it opened up, at the top it says "Airport  JFKF - Dallas Helipad"  and the second line shows
AF2_JFKF.bgl.  In the box on the left it has this:

-  Airport
   - Parking
     - Parking 1
     - Parking 2
     - Parking 3

I tried to make a screenshot of this window but it didn't work, I did it three times to make sure I was putting in KDFW active runway before clicking the fly now button to make sure I wasn't on the helipad.  It said this all three times I did it.

Hopefully this will give you some clues,

Thanks
Jim

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 01:02:08 am »
When it started I clicked on the addons and chose the one you told me to look in.  When it opened up, at the top it says "Airport  JFKF - Dallas Helipad" 

This explains everything, and there are no problems with GSX, it's just you have the "airport inside an airport" issue, which usually happens with auxiliary airports like helipads, seaplane bases, etc.

The Dallas Helipad it's not part of FSDT KDFW, you must have it because you installed another scenery, or as part of an AI Traffic package.

You can fix the issue as discussed here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,11770.msg90088.html#msg90088

Of course, replace the XXX in the example with JFKF, which is a fake ICAO code for that helipad.

jimstiles

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 01:17:34 am »
Ok, I'll make the change and give it a try after supper. Sounds like that is the problem.

Thanks for your help and time on this for me, now I can enjoy these two airports as they are the two I use most often along with KSFO.

Jim

jimstiles

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 03:55:34 am »
Beautiful, KDFW works like a champ now, may have to use it as my home airport now.

Thanks again for all the help and time.

Have a great one!

Jim